Very few, if any of you are psychotic. - The Bright Side - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Very few, if any of you are psychotic.

Psychosis

7 replies to this topic

#1 Xerei

Xerei

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 673 posts
  • LocationEarth, 3rd rock from the sun.

Posted 11 December 2018 - 06:39 PM

Hey, all. Haven't been here for a long time, but recently, I've been in situations which made me think back to DP/DR...and all of you guys.
I remember back when I had DP/DR, I was VERY scared of being a schizophrenic or having psychosis and such...as many of you probably struggle with now.
Cutting to the chase: I don't believe many, if any of you have psychosis. How can I say this with certainty? My older sister was admitted to a psych ward last night, thanks to drug-induced psychosis. Here is how she acted:
1) Nothing was wrong with her. It was something wrong with everyone else, she was enlightened.
2) She kept jumping around, clapping, slamming doors and such to "chase something away".
3) In the middle of the night, she ran out into the backyard to "summon my guardian fox spirit!"
4) Extreme mood-swings, unlike anything I've ever seen...and I know a lot of bipolar people.
5) She didn't sleep the entire weekend.
6) Would ignore everyone or randomly sit down, stare into space, reacting with a "hush" if anyone spoke to her.
7) She thought she had some major mission she had to accomplish, and she was completely special.
icon_cool.gif Acting in ways that are in no way fitting to the situation she was currently in. Example: She scared the shit out of the youngest sister; smiling an laughing as a result.
9) Extremely hateful and violent to someone else. Attacked the youngest sister out of nowhere. I had to drag her away from her, which resulted in her scratching, kicking and whatnot...
10) Filled with rage as I grabbed her by her feet (cause she was kicking), and carried her away. Her angry statements made no sense.
11) Random singing, shouting, screaming, chanting and whispering.
12) Nothing she was asked about concerned her at all...AT ALL! Apparently it is COMPLETELY normal to be awake for several days, to randomly become enraged and sit and stare at something for hours without saying a word. It's also normal to go out at 3 AM to slam the cardoors and sit around and honk, not even reacting to being forcefully thrown out of the car. (Sorry, sis, but I was exhausted from trying to babysit you, and you making everything harder).

Do you feel anything in this list fits you? Does your family feel this is a description of you? Then see a doctor, please.
If not: Chances are you're not psychotic.
Some of you will probably doubt (as I also used to do)...here is a reinforcement: The above IS en example of a psychosis, which the doctors were so kind to inform us about.

Funnily enough: One thing helped her a lot..but it's an expensive thing: She became completely normal for a few hours when I gave her some hash I had lying around, a strain called afghan kush. (Very high on CBD, which is apparently a powerful anti-psychotic)

May you all relax a little bit now that you know you're (most likely) not psychotic.
God bless.

#2 Chip1021

Chip1021

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:45 PM

Some items in this list do describe me, at least some of the time (after all I do stare at nothing for most of my days, every day, I talk to myself, and have random bouts of anger at nothing real).

However I just don't understand this "fear of becoming psychotic, or maybe I already am schizophrenic". You feel what you feel. What it's called is only valuable in how that might inform treatment options.

#3 Xerei

Xerei

• DPSH Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 08:38 PM

Some items in this list do describe me, at least some of the time (after all I do stare at nothing for most of my days, every day, I talk to myself, and have random bouts of anger at nothing real).

However I just don't understand this "fear of becoming psychotic, or maybe I already am schizophrenic". You feel what you feel. What it's called is only valuable in how that might inform treatment options.

It's a fear many here have.

#4 Chip1021

Chip1021

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Posted 11 December 2018 - 10:21 PM

It's a fear many here have.

Yes I understand that. What I don't understand is the fear of a word.

I had a disease that was asymptomatic once. Meanwhile my doctors say that I should be happy that I don't have whatever disease they are testing me for. It's like, feeling like shit doesn't matter, as long as there isn't a scary word attached to it. I don't understand that mentality at all.

#5 zouzoux

zouzoux

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 04:30 AM

I think my fear is more about "becoming" psychotic rather than if I am. Right now I'm sure I'm not. And I start asking myself, If I ever become psychotic how could I lose touch with reality while I obsess a lot on acting rationally. It's kinda similar to Alzheimer I guess, like how could I forget who's my brother or sister but in the end we must come to the conclusion that we are not our minds and must accept that we cannot control the future...

#6 dissoziation

dissoziation

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 11:51 AM

Gotta agree with OP here. I have to take medicine because I've had psychosis for a long time now and if I don't take it, I'll be bouncing off the walls. DPDR is a very scary disorder and the symptoms can feel very similar but your chances of becoming psychotic are pretty low.

#7 Psyborg

Psyborg

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 06:38 AM

I had delusions and thought disorder and several docs said I am not psychotic but my current doc said I am and put me on antipsychotics which helped me . I think severe DP can cause a psychotic episode but I am not sure . maybe it was just me . I was also very scared of being psychotic before my doc diagnozed it and I even had a panic attack because of the thought of being psychotic . I thought I am going crazy . anybody who reads this and is in an anxious state with the fear of psychosis : dont panic . dont be afraid . even if you are psychotic right now you will come out of it but talk to your doc 

I thought it is the end of the world but it has been months since then and I dont even take antipsychotics anymore and here I am .....it does get better 

however I still have also doubts sometimes if I was even psychotic to begin with or just suffered extreme DP coupled with ocd and anxiety . but I probably was psychotic indeed 

#8 Xerei

Xerei

• DPSH Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 04:56 PM

Update: Visited my sister in hospital today, she had her second psychotic episode some time ago.

She said that while she was psychotic, she heard voices..a lot of them, and saw things that weren't there. According to the doctors, this was a meth-induced psychosis...just like before.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Psychosis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users