36 year DP sufferer,,,maybe some help I hope - Page 2 - Introduce Yourself - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

36 year DP sufferer,,,maybe some help I hope

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#13 PerfectFifth

PerfectFifth

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 05:08 PM

I've had DP since 2005 (13 years). There are no psychiatrists familiar with DP in my country, I know this because there are no published documents about DP by local practitioners. Also there is much social stigma so I've not gone to see a psychiatrist.

I've coped by the help of acceptance and spirituality so far. I joined this website few months ago because those two were not sufficient anymore and I needed people support.

There's no guarantee that it's even a psychiatric problem. It could just as well have a neurological basis, at least in some cases. 

The important thing to remember is that even though we all identify with the label "depersonalization/derealization" on some level, hence we're here, there is absolutely no guarantee that our sensations are the same. Your DP/DR could be vastly different from mine and could be caused by a different thing. Jumping to the conclusion that these symptoms always stem from psychological distress of some sort—which seems to be a popular supposition here—is not very wise.

#14 luke7

luke7

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:16 AM

I think my fear in telling my current wife is when I was young, I told my girlfriend and within 2 months, she ended the relationship. It is a very hard, obscure thing to understand and being that my wife really can't help me at this point, why rock the boat? As far as my family, it's hard because when I see them it reminds me of when I was ok, but I don't stay away from them. I do think the weed was not the cause/reason for this. I think dp is a sleeping giant that would have come out regardless, weed was just the catalyst at that moment. DP is definitely anxiety based. I remember when I was a kid, I would look in the mirror and have this out of body experience that would last for less than 1 minute, I actually thought it was cool. That was a sign it was coming eventually. I could also make objects appear very small by looking at them, they call it

" Alice in wonderland" syndrome. These all lead to the eventual night that I was overcome in my van with full blown fear/panic . I am not saying there isn't hope, there is, especially today. Keep in mind back in 1982, no one even heard of this so it kind of lead to a dead end. Today, many of you have a huge head start in nipping this early. Dont let the obsessive scary thoughts overcome you,,they are just that,,,harmless thoughts so don't give them any more power than need be. For me klonopin took the edge off, it works on the same part of the brain as epileptic patients. It calms down the obsessive thoughts, not a cure by any means, just helps. Get a dr opinion first.

Peace

#15 WreckingHotelRooms

WreckingHotelRooms

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 03:20 AM

Its not scare mongering...Its his story...

Ive had DP since I was 18...Im now 46...But I have learned to live with it as a managed condition (with the help of medicine)...And I have lived a pretty normal life despite it...

The truth is everybody is different...

Some people recover completely, Some people learn to live with it long term and others need meds to keep it at bay...

There is no one size fits all when it comes to recovering from DP....

agreed

#16 willbarwa

willbarwa

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 251 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:37 PM

I think dp sufferers before the information age were mayorly fucked. Sorry to sound so blunt. Lack of resources, awareness, etc. Where to even begin? What to ask? And if you did have a question, you had to rely on doing research by walking outside your house, renting a book, asking ppl around -- all time consuming.

I think ppl who have suffered this long just lived in the wrong time and just didn't know where to look. There some that didn't even know they had dp until much later.

But, I say this next thing with much respect and an open-mind: some ppl just don't try hard enough and get caught up in the cycle. Some just don't broaden their views on alternate methods or simply live vicariously through other ppls bad choices and experiences.

Subconsciously they create these limitations slowly but surely, never get rid of anything.

Does this apply to you or anyone else reading this? Perhaps, perhaps not. I just have to say what is on my mind in regards to this subject and ppls experiences.

Maybe my short-lived dp is a result of overcoming it differently or maybe it truly wasn't as bad as others or I was just lucky.

It's all subjective and relative so I guess with that said, I'm countering everything I just wrote but again I could be wrong about that too.

Notice my pattern of thought and writing. It's just a reflection of my mind. Maybe this is how I coped and got rid of dp.

#17 willbarwa

willbarwa

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 251 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:50 PM

I think my fear in telling my current wife is when I was young, I told my girlfriend and within 2 months, she ended the relationship. It is a very hard, obscure thing to understand and being that my wife really can't help me at this point, why rock the boat? As far as my family, it's hard because when I see them it reminds me of when I was ok, but I don't stay away from them. I do think the weed was not the cause/reason for this. I think dp is a sleeping giant that would have come out regardless, weed was just the catalyst at that moment. DP is definitely anxiety based. I remember when I was a kid, I would look in the mirror and have this out of body experience that would last for less than 1 minute, I actually thought it was cool. That was a sign it was coming eventually. I could also make objects appear very small by looking at them, they call it
" Alice in wonderland" syndrome. These all lead to the eventual night that I was overcome in my van with full blown fear/panic . I am not saying there isn't hope, there is, especially today. Keep in mind back in 1982, no one even heard of this so it kind of lead to a dead end. Today, many of you have a huge head start in nipping this early. Dont let the obsessive scary thoughts overcome you,,they are just that,,,harmless thoughts so don't give them any more power than need be. For me klonopin took the edge off, it works on the same part of the brain as epileptic patients. It calms down the obsessive thoughts, not a cure by any means, just helps. Get a dr opinion first.
Peace

Get rid of the anxiety. Get off Klonopin that drug has crazy withdrawal symptoms. Your gonna go through hell at first when you come off it. Your dp might even get worse temporarily. Then start exercising. Do light workouts at first, heavy workouts can sometimes make dp worse (for the moment).

When I was in dp mode, I started doing squats and leg extensions. After the workout I felt a sense of release and ease, it felt great. It gave me a few good hours of relaxation and even if I did think of dp it didn't phase me much.

Next, change that diet. I don't know what you eat. Start cleaning your gut. Detoxify your brain and body. Eat clean, fruits and vegetables. Go easy on the meat. Our stomachs process meat much slower, requiring more energy to burn, thus warming your body.

Don't masturbate. Before anyone think this is pseudoscience, it's not. Traditional Chinese medicine since time immemorial advocates against masturbation and baseless self-pleasure. I'm not saying forever. Try 2 weeks at least, see where that goes.

Natural minerals you can try that help..

Inositol (b8) anxiolytic, relaxant and stimulates brain. In high doses it's been proven to mitigate OCD almost completely.

Magnesium taurate (brand: cardiovascular research)

Similar to inositol. Relaxing.

I got more stuff I can tell you. If you're interested let me know

#18 Speedy69

Speedy69

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:42 AM

I'm assuming the question about meds was for me?
I have taken the following:
paxil
zoloft
prozac
zyprexa- disaster
valium
celexa- some help
klonpoin

last 2 are most recent and best results was from klonopin by far, others did nothing or made my dp worse
hope that helps

A good bit of people have had relief from lexapro with very little side effects.

#19 Layne

Layne

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 01:27 AM

A good bit of people have had relief from lexapro with very little side effects.

There are a good number of reports on a tinnitus forum that describes their tinnitus onset being due to Lexapro.  Below is just one snippet from one of those reports:

I was prescribed Lexapro 5mg, 2.5mg each day for the first 3 then a final tablet 5mg and the tinnitus started almost immediately. I called my doctor who told me to stop Lexapro immediately. My tinnitus is very severe and debilitating. I'm depressed mainly due to bullying in my workplace and told my doctor about it. 

I was prescribed Lexapro and after 4 days of it, have had tinnitus for almost a year with no signs of relief. 

Why a drug like this is allowed to be prescribed is beyond my reason. It gets me the most at night and keeps me from sleeping at all about half the time. So during most of my awake time I feel exhausted. 

Now I'm more depressed than ever and have seen many doctors with no success. 

People without tinnitus tell me that it's a minor thing, but have no idea of what this really is. It has turned my life upside down, I can't go to work anymore, ended up in the hospital psyche ward after a suicide attempt. 

#20 Maysam

Maysam

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 05:20 AM

Check the Depersonalisation guide by Ammar Takla. it has really helped me recover from Depersonalisation. Here is the link: https://www.deperson...ationguide.com/

I really advise you to download the e-book!

I also suffered from DP for almost 3 years and now recovered for 2 month. Wish you good luck!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users