Would you say you're having an existential crisis? - DPSelfhelp.com Member Polls - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Would you say you're having an existential crisis?

existential existentialism crisis existential anxiety

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you say you're having an existential crisis? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you having an existential crisis?

1. Yes (caused my DP/DR) (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

2. Yes (caused by DP/DR) (8 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Yes (don't know which came first, DP/DR or existentialism) (6 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

4. No (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 bigpwn

bigpwn

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:25 AM

I remember the first few days after I got DP/DR I started obsessing over existentialism, and it hasn't stopped since

#2 eddy1886

eddy1886

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:12 AM

Co morbid AFTER the onset of DP usually...

Often people will say they never thought in such an odd way pre DP...

While DP sufferers tend to be deep thinkers anyway (even before DP)...You will rarely hear any of them say they thought in such a deep obsessive existential upsetting way before their DP kicked in....

I do remember as a younger person being an existential thinker to a certain degree though...It wasnt upsetting or disturbing or obsessive though....It just felt like the norm for me.....

Looking back in hindsight maybe it wasnt so normal after all for an 8 year old to be pondering the wonders of the universe LOL...

Just tells me that all DP sufferers are highly intelligent overthinkers who would make amazing philospohers....

#3 allison84

allison84

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 568 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:40 AM

Yes i now question life yet i never did before , its why I worry that my minds been opened to another way if thinking that I can't go back. If you know what I mean
I question why I am here what is my point here why anybody's here and it makes me depressed

#4 Pondererer

Pondererer

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 877 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:13 AM

existensial crisis is an absurd understatement

#5 Chip1021

Chip1021

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 602 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:16 PM

Co morbid AFTER the onset of DP usually...

Often people will say they never thought in such an odd way pre DP...

While DP sufferers tend to be deep thinkers anyway (even before DP)...You will rarely hear any of them say they thought in such a deep obsessive existential upsetting way before their DP kicked in....

I do remember as a younger person being an existential thinker to a certain degree though...It wasnt upsetting or disturbing or obsessive though....It just felt like the norm for me.....

Looking back in hindsight maybe it wasnt so normal after all for an 8 year old to be pondering the wonders of the universe LOL...

Just tells me that all DP sufferers are highly intelligent overthinkers who would make amazing philospohers....

I had a very similar experience as you. Likewise, it wasn't terrifying until I came to truly realize how detrimental it was to my general functioning. Basically I accepted and even liked the fact that I thought in this way. Most of my teachers and professors loved me for it too, and it was beneficial in school. I always figured I'd either be a professor or struggle greatly with getting by in life.

I did everything I could think of to make the former my life, and went pretty far with it, but ultimately the brain fog, cognitive problems and insomnia caught up with me, and now the feared situation is my reality. Not sure what to do with myself now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: existential, existentialism, crisis, existential anxiety

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users