Really struggling right now after trying a couple meds - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Really struggling right now after trying a couple meds

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kiwi89

Kiwi89

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:32 PM

I've had bad DP/blank mind for a while now and have been on clomipramine which has helped my mood and anxiety a bit but not really the cognitive symptoms. I tried seroquel recently for one night and it knocked me out for 15 hours and I felt weird and depressed when I woke up. I haven't tried it again since. Then I tried a med called Hydroxizine and when it kicked in, I felt more spaced out and anxious (not sleepy at all) and ever since, I have been on another level of DP. I feel unconscious like I've lost the small amount of awareness of my self and my surroundings that I had. I'm a mess and barely getting through each day. I'm terrified that I won't go back to my normal, more manageable level of DP that I had before I tried the two new meds. Does anyone have any advice or at least believe that I will go back to my normal baseline? Really worried right now....

#2 forestx5

forestx5

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1379 posts
  • Locationcentral virginia blue ridge mountains

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:21 PM

Seroquel helped me during a couple  of depressive episodes which featured severe insomnia.  I hadn't had any real sleep for a long while, when I took my first dose of 150mg(?).  I took it about 45 minutes prior to when I wanted

to fall asleep.  I had  my feet up for a while as I watched TV.  My mind didn't feel tired, but when I brought my feet down, my whole lower body felt like it was asleep.  I barely made it into the bedroom.  I woke up an hour and a half later

and used the bathroom.  I thought, that's it.  My sleep is over.  But, amazingly, I was able to fall back to sleep for a full 8 hours.  The healing effects of sleep were what turned this episode of depression around for me.  Severe insomnia is a killer.

I could reduce my Seroquel dosage to 75mg and get a decent sleep without being unduly groggy or sedated.  Seroquel also helped directly and indirectly with my severe anxiety.  I used it during a 2nd depressive episode in a similar manner.

Clomipramine is Anafranil which is a previous generation tricyclic antidepressant.  I don't know what part of your symptom package calls for it.  I have taken quite a few tricyclic's, SSRI/SNRIs over the years, and I find Lexapro/Escitalopram

to be most effective with the least side effects.  It is now my only psych med.  Unfortunately, when you are not feeling particularly well is the worse time to try new meds.  The only new meds that feel good are benzos. LOL

It depends on your needs.  I would have killed for 15 hours of sleep during my longest period of insomnia.  Actually, I would have killed for 2 hours.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users