How did you get DP/DR? - DPSelfhelp.com Member Polls - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

How did you get DP/DR?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: How did you get DP/DR? (89 member(s) have cast votes)

How did you get DP/DR?

1. Drugs (cannabis, alcohol, opiates, etc) (41 votes [34.17%])

Percentage of vote: 34.17%

2. Voted Psychological/emotional trauma (36 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. Neurological causes/conditions (4 votes [3.33%])

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

4. Head trauma (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Comorbid mental illness/symptom of other mental illness (13 votes [10.83%])

Percentage of vote: 10.83%

6. Other (6 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

7. Voted Unsure/don't know (20 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 dissoziation

dissoziation

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:07 AM

Figured that it would be interesting to have a poll to see how DP/DR started for us. Feel free to talk about your experience here, though you can also do here if you'd like.

#2 Phantasm

Phantasm

Janitor

• Moderators
  • 821 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:15 AM

I'd have to click on three or four of those!

#3 forestx5

forestx5

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1228 posts
  • Locationcentral virginia blue ridge mountains

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:43 AM

At 17, I smoked cannabis. My first sensation was a jerking movement and stabbing pain in my stomach, followed by a sickly smoky sensation that rose into my chest and made my heart beat wildly.  It was accompanied by a sensation of impending doom.

The smoky sensation continued upward into my head and made it tingle all over.  Over the next minute or two, my vision lost the ability to track motion.  I was seeing the world as a slide show, with lengthening periods of time between each picture frame, which

I could not account for.  The tingling in my head gathered to the size of a golf ball, and located to the left front of my head.  The right side of my head went cold and numb.  It was as if a line had been sketched right down the middle of my head.  The tingling

mass slowly marched to the left rear of my head.  I felt as if I were being water boarded as I struggled for snippets of consciousness in conjunction with  my framing vision.  Then, the tingling mass began to tense like an old watch spring being wound.  The

tension increased for 4 or 5 seconds, then it discharged in a jolt of electrical energy which convulsed my mind and also my vision.  Suddenly, it appeared as if I were looking through the wrong end of binoculars.  My focus zoomed away and things became

very small, as if at the far end of a long tunnel.  The tensing and zooming continued on intervals of 5 seconds for upwards of 3 minutes.  When it subsided, I was never the same.  I would not understand what had transpired for 40 years.  I would believe the neuro psych

trauma I experienced was to be blamed on cannabis.  But, my cannabis intoxication had an unexpected visitor. I now know the beginning was an "epigastric aura" of a temporal lobe seizure.  The tensing and releasing were epileptic discharges. What followed was post ictal psychosis

which segued into an affective disorder of recurring major depression.  The visual hallucinations I experienced have a name which can be found on Wiki.  It comes from a cinematic effect in which a camera is mounted on a dolly and

traversed quickly.  Ergo "dolly zoom".  I gleaned the facts of my experience from British Neurological Texts and Journals I discovered on line.  (At age 55,) My experience was "a worst case scenario".  No US neurologist or doctor or mental health therapist could enlighten me.

I developed a mild head tremor. I experienced frequent ocular migraines. I suffered many more milder seizures.   I survived several more major depressive episodes.  I am deemed to have "significant pathology" in my left temporal lobe, based on EEG results.  I expected  that from my 

symptoms when I ordered the EEG.   It took the fun out of most of my adult life.  Actually, it almost killed me on several occasions.  I  did have to work harder at life than I had ever intended. But, all is well that ends well and in 100 years it will have  made no difference.

#4 time2wakeup

time2wakeup

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:04 PM

I got it from a psych med (prozac)

#5 MobiusX

MobiusX

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 359 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:14 AM

I remember I created a poll  just like this years ago, child abuse 

#6 Erika

Erika

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:10 AM

I got it from a psych med (prozac)

Would you like to elaborate on the exact nature of your DPDR? What exactly are you feeling? I’m trying to relate this to my own experience with a SSRI.

#7 time2wakeup

time2wakeup

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:04 AM

Would you like to elaborate on the exact nature of your DPDR? What exactly are you feeling? I’m trying to relate this to my own experience with a SSRI.

The experience on prozac: for the first week or so my anxiety was really high, ground my teeth at night, etc. Then I started to feel good - really calm and present - all my anxiety was gone. And then it was kind of like I kept getting higher and higher on the medication? Started to feel floaty and out of it, a little *too* good and relaxed. Then one day I dissociated - I was talking to someone, and I was also really stressed out at the time FYI - and suddenly this big grin spread across my face, and then I was gone - not really in my body anymore, and my emotions had vanished. I thought it was the psych med, but after quitting it a few months later, nothing really changed. I have all the usual DP symptoms, nothing special - low sex drive, no emotional connection to other people or to my reflection, no internal monologue, world is not 3D enough/colors aren't bright enough, etc.

My life was really really stressful that year, so I think prozac was just the trigger - though I thought it must have something to do with serotonin levels for a long time. Guess that doesn't really make any sense, though.

#8 eddy1886

eddy1886

• DPSH Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:05 AM

I never actually really have known why...So I put it down to a bunch of different things like Drug Use, A tough insecure childhood, Bullying at school, Bullying at work, Alcohol abuse etc etc etc..............I was basically pre disposed to anxiety was very insecure with low self esteem and as a result was a prime candidate for this condition..........

I gave up a long time ago trying to figure out what caused it for the simple fact that knowing what caused it isnt going to cure it...

Its the same as knowing your cancer was caused by smoking....Your still left with the cancer...

Im more interested in what keeps it away nowadays to be honest....Meds, stress management, extra rest etc etc.........

#9 Hedgehog fuzz

Hedgehog fuzz

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:41 PM

I got bullied at work too....it was horrible. And I worked in a mental health team!!

#10 eddy1886

eddy1886

• DPSH Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:02 AM

I got bullied at work too....it was horrible. And I worked in a mental health team!!

FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats simply disgusting!!!!!!!

#11 Sharon22

Sharon22

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:45 AM

First got DR when I was attacked on a night out then got DP after panic attacks.

#12 dpsucks

dpsucks

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:59 AM

Its a pretty hard question for me since I got DP after the most terryfying traumatic experience I could possible imagine on a bad LSD trip. It could be either drug- or trauma induced in this case since both happened on the same day.
While I got hospitalized still tripping I got administered Lorazepam to get me to calm down and I just slept through the remainder of the experience. Ive been speculating that the interaction of the Lorazepam with the LSD while me being asleep might have also been a factor.

I doubt there would be any interaction between the two, as they likely work on different areas of the brain. It would be interesting to know for sure though. I often wonder myself if combining synthetic recreational drugs and an SSRI did anything in my case. But what we used alone recreationally can cause the same things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users