Depersonalization Support Forum banner

Anxiety/Trauma vs. Drug Induced DP/DR

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  dolphin 
#1 ·
Hey guys I just wanted to know the difference (if any) between getting DP/DR through drugs and through anxiety/trauma.

I used to be a huge pot head but I quit marijuana more than 2 months prior to getting DP/DR, BUT I had many panic attacks prior to getting DP/DR so I figure my DP/DR was a result of just overwhelming stress and anxiety.

Anyway I just wanted to know if anyone had an idea on the difference between the two and/or if anyone can comment and let me know how they got DP and if it affected how they're dealing with it.

Have a good day!

#2 ·
I got DP DR through trauma. I was in so much pain that i thought i will die.
I have PTSD. If someone triggers me and i will cry for 15 minutes nonstop.
I think dp dr is my coping style. It makes my memories distant so i dont feel pain. I will soon start EMDR and i dont know if it will help.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
My drug experience was traumatic, so I don't know if there's any difference in that sense. My dp/dr started from panic attacks after the bad experience, from being triggered by something that reminded me of the bad trip - and the dp/dr was brought on by the panic (I think).

Reactions: Phantasm
#4 ·
I got DP from weed (2nd time) but I didn't have the typical panic attack... I just felt strange and I hated the way I felt ... and then it never went away.. I had an anxiety disorder/other mental health issues before so I think it just set off something in my brain.

In either case though I think DP is usually due to severe anxiety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.