medications? - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

medications?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DpMommy

DpMommy

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:14 PM

Hello, I had a pretty good weekend but then last night my daughter woke me up around 3 am and I had a huge panic attack. I had sweaty palms and shaky. I am currently taking 5mg of zyprexa and xanax when needed. Sometimes I think the xanax gives me anxiety after it wears off. I just was wondering what medications have helped others. I have been on zyprexa for almost 2 weeks. Thanks so much

#2 aworthycause

aworthycause

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:46 PM

Zyprexa helped a lot with my panic attacks. I wouldn't get used to taking xanax if I were you. It adds a new layer of anxiety where you fear not having it in your system. A new anxiety of getting anxiety if you will. Consider switching to the longer-acting Klonopin, or consider if you can survive without a benzodiazepine.

#3 freezeup

freezeup

Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:32 PM

the problem with Xanax is that it only temporarily relieves anixety, for a short amount of time as well. I wouldn't recommend anyone be on a benzo long-term. If you have to I guess something like Klonopin or Valium would work well, but both can cause problems in the long term and usually has the person using them worse off then they were. 

#4 Mydp

Mydp

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:49 PM

Many Dr's prescribe benzos short term when starting an antidepressant because antidepressants can cause increased anxiety in the beginning. I have had great results with zoloft, but it did cause increased anxiety when I started taking it. It took at least a full month for me to receive full benefits and side effects to go away.

#5 just_liviu85

just_liviu85

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:59 PM

Mydp you are cured ? Zoloft helped you with what simptoms ?

Thanks 

#6 eddy1886

eddy1886

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 03 October 2016 - 03:19 PM

Xanax is definitely a short term drug....I would recommend a low dose SSRI instead to go along with your Zyprexa...It may take a few weeks to kick in properly and it may make you feel worse at first...That passes after a few weeks when your system adjusts and the med builds up in your system properly...

Be very careful with xanax...It can be very habit forming! where as with SSRIs you can be weaned off much more gently over time when you are feeling alot better...

#7 DpMommy

DpMommy

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:12 PM

Zyprexa helped a lot with my panic attacks. I wouldn't get used to taking xanax if I were you. It adds a new layer of anxiety where you fear not having it in your system. A new anxiety of getting anxiety if you will. Consider switching to the longer-acting Klonopin, or consider if you can survive without a benzodiazepine.

Thank you! I definitely understand about anxiety of not having it on me just in case. Ive been on zyprexa for 2 weeks and it seems like every SSRI I've tried I feel very jittery or neasuas and then I get anxiety about medicines so as soon as I feel any type of symptoms, I get off it. I wish I knew of an SSRI that was good for people sensitive to meds. Are you cured and how long did zyprexa take to fully work?

#8 DpMommy

DpMommy

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:15 PM

Many Dr's prescribe benzos short term when starting an antidepressant because antidepressants can cause increased anxiety in the beginning. I have had great results with zoloft, but it did cause increased anxiety when I started taking it. It took at least a full month for me to receive full benefits and side effects to go away.

Thank you. I did try zoloft before and I felt very jittery inside and nauseas. Also, when I would yawn if felt like a jittery feeling. I only was on it for like a week and immediately got off it when I felt side effects. I have soo much anxiety when it comes to meds. Maybe I will try one again. I just get so scared.

#9 Surfer Rosa

Surfer Rosa

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 752 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:06 PM

Drugs can reduce stress by treating other issues. None are known to directly treat depersonalization. Some US docs claim neuroleptics work, amd some Russian docs claim opiod drugs work.

#10 Mydp

Mydp

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 02:28 AM

Thank you. I did try zoloft before and I felt very jittery inside and nauseas. Also, when I would yawn if felt like a jittery feeling. I only was on it for like a week and immediately got off it when I felt side effects. I have soo much anxiety when it comes to meds. Maybe I will try one again. I just get so scared.

Those side effects can be harsh in the beginning! Especially for those of us that find SSRIs to act as stimulamts (it made me feel jittery, too at first and I refused the benzos due to family history of addiction. I don't take any kind of narcotic). I think of it the way I think of deep cleaning my house: it gets worse before it gets better. I had a terrible time starting zoloft. It didn't seem worth it to me at first, but I'm so glad I stuck it out. Once it evened out in my system, it was like a night to day change in my anxiety, which is virtually nonexistent now.

And for the poster who asked, yes. I no longer suffer symptoms. I don't like to say cured, because I don't want to jinx myself, but I've been 99% symptom free for close to 3 years now. A combo of a low dose anti-depressant and low dose anti-psychotic worked to treat my dp/dr.

#11 DpMommy

DpMommy

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:38 PM

Those side effects can be harsh in the beginning! Especially for those of us that find SSRIs to act as stimulamts (it made me feel jittery, too at first and I refused the benzos due to family history of addiction. I don't take any kind of narcotic). I think of it the way I think of deep cleaning my house: it gets worse before it gets better. I had a terrible time starting zoloft. It didn't seem worth it to me at first, but I'm so glad I stuck it out. Once it evened out in my system, it was like a night to day change in my anxiety, which is virtually nonexistent now.

And for the poster who asked, yes. I no longer suffer symptoms. I don't like to say cured, because I don't want to jinx myself, but I've been 99% symptom free for close to 3 years now. A combo of a low dose anti-depressant and low dose anti-psychotic worked to treat my dp/dr.

Thank you so much for this post. It makes me feel better about taking the anti depressant with my anti psychotic. My dr thinks that the meds make me feel worst because of my anxiety with meds but he wants me so badly to try the antidepressant with the anti psychotic. Thank you again, this makes me feel better that Im not the only one that has a few side effects with the meds in the beginning. I want to try to stick it out and trust my dr a little. 

#12 Mydp

Mydp

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:35 AM

Thank you so much for this post. It makes me feel better about taking the anti depressant with my anti psychotic. My dr thinks that the meds make me feel worst because of my anxiety with meds but he wants me so badly to try the antidepressant with the anti psychotic. Thank you again, this makes me feel better that Im not the only one that has a few side effects with the meds in the beginning. I want to try to stick it out and trust my dr a little.

You're very welcome and I'm glad my experience has helped you some. From what you've posted, you sound a lot like me in regards to medication. I'm very sensitive to it. I think it's very important to keep an open dialog with your Dr about how you feel about taking the medications and how you feel while actually taking the medications. I only see my Dr. once a year now for my medication refills, but the relationship we have formed through her willingness to help me, and my willingness to trust her is so wonderful. I definitely feel that my anti-depressant and anti-psychotic gave me my life back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users