Hygiene & DP/DR - DPSelfhelp.com Member Polls - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Hygiene & DP/DR

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Changes in hygiene and self-care (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Has there been a significant difference in the way you take care of yourself since getting DP/DR?

1. Voted yes (25 votes [75.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.76%

2. Voted no (8 votes [24.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.24%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 2011 Again

2011 Again

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:43 PM

This is something I'm really curious about and would like to know your guys's experience. Since getting anxiety, DP/DR etc have you noticed a significant change in your hygiene habits and the way you take care of your body? Please give an honest answer. 

This is something I've personally experienced in the past and would like to know if some of you have as well. I really want to encourage you guys to take control of your own lives and realize that DP/DR in and of itself is not causing all of this distress, it is our response to DP/DR. Anyways, I'd like to see what you guys answer. 

#2 freezeup

freezeup

Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:49 PM

I used to not shower for a week and a half at a clip sometimes. It was bad. I smelled like a human dumpster. 

#3 forestx5

forestx5

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1378 posts
  • Locationcentral virginia blue ridge mountains

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:05 PM

Poor hygiene can be a symptom of depression and also alcoholism. I had a childhood friend who drank himself to death.  He told me he had a serious aversion to water and a shower was torture for him.  When I am suffering severe depression, I also have an aversion to water and showering and maintaining hygiene is very difficult. When I am not clinically depressed, showering is enjoyable!

#4 Photogenic_Potato

Photogenic_Potato

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 80 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:36 AM

me ways have no declined but in fact have gotten prolonged i guess you could say. I dont like showers anymore, i prefer baths i can sit in for hours and hours and when i comes to the actual bathing part im not opposed but i wish i didnt have to it.

#5 dissoziation

dissoziation

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

I used to have problems with my hygiene in the first few months of having DPDR but as of now, I'm pretty rigid on making sure that I'm clean and smelling nice. I personally don't really think that it's my DPDR that's making me feel this way, but a combination of depression and some newfound obsessions that I have. When I'm clean, it makes me feel normal.

#6 dope

dope

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:47 PM

Not really - I still brush my teeth and I still wash myself. I always fail big time at brushing my hair, but I've always did that anyway, because my hair is quite long and hard to manage.

#7 Tired23

Tired23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:46 AM

I have severe dpdr. So sometimes i dont shower due to the fact that i dont feel the water hotting me. I was always the type to have myself together now all i do i s walk around in sweat pants nd nappy hair.

#8 aworthycause

aworthycause

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:47 PM

No, DP/DR in itself never affected my hygiene.

#9 eddy1886

eddy1886

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 03 October 2016 - 03:32 PM

It can actually go two ways for me...Periods when im absolutely obsessed with cleanliness because of my OCD and then periods of  literally not being able to clean myself because of the lethargy  i experience as a result of depression....

It can actually make me think im bi polar sometimes...One extreme to the other...

#10 Sayoh

Sayoh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:15 PM

With me on days I'm having a really bad day I don't want to shower because it seems to make my anxiety worse, but, I also force myself to shower because once I'm finally in the shower the DR seems to go away at least for a little while.

#11 BanterDPD

BanterDPD

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:54 AM

I used to really enjoy a long shower or bath but not since the DPD monster arrived - I still shower every day but there is nil enjoyment (at least there is no stressful interaction with the shower, no faking it)

i feel like my entire life is filled doing things that "normal" people do !

#12 <AGENT>teh345

<AGENT>teh345

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:43 AM

I shower,shave, etc. at least once a day. I try to keep my hygiene standards up. 

Helps to have the sense of normalcy and routine that maintaining hygiene brings too. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users