Is it possible to enjoy DP? - The Bright Side - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Is it possible to enjoy DP?

28 replies to this topic

#1 dppara

dppara

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:17 PM

I was listening to some trippy music on some good earphones, in the bed.

Then I started to feel DP. It was sort of "interesting" because I knew it is not going to be uncontrollable. I can get out of it if I want to. So I just let it happen and look at it and see what it does.

It was scary, sort of like a trip.

The environment has changed, into something more protective.

Anyway, anyone had "semi-enjoyable/interesting" DP episodes?

#2 Pondererer

Pondererer

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 877 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:29 PM

There has been moments where like peope around me freak out about some kind of drama, exam et school etc.. and i'm just thinking like: lol, how could you even care/worry about something that petty, i'm good!

So yeah, a few perks every now and then

#3 Guest_freedsoul_*

Guest_freedsoul_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:15 PM

Depersonalization and derealization can be super cool.... As long as they wear off after a while.

It's like, I enjoyed most of my acid trips, but I would probably kill myself if I had to live like that forever. Luckily DP isn't quite so overstimulating.

#4 dppara

dppara

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:28 AM

Yeah, it can kinda feel like an interesting trip on some drugs - sometimes.

Perhaps exploring the Bright Side of DP might make it easier to get used to it.

I can fight it and make it go away, but yesterday I decided not to do that and see what happens.

It was a little bit scary in the start but after a while I entered into a warmer, more comfortable place of nothingness that I found interesting.

It was kind of a hypnosis like aware state - without the surroundings.

The music had a pretty interesting effect on this nothingness - kinda trippy without the illegal drugs.

#5 morph

morph

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:23 AM

The ability to enjoy the experience is thought to aid in recovery, and in the long term contribute to more control over dissociative states.

As a child I found DP comforting rather than enjoyable, and used it to cope with intensely stressful situations. For me, it's a double-edged sword, with both positive and negative consequences. With hindsight, the most disturbing aspect was going into trance with no knowledge of how to control it.

#6 Chicane

Chicane

• DPSH Members
  • 663 posts
  • LocationSoda City

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:03 AM

I have thought about this - whether it's possible to have moments where it feels good somehow, but I have to say I've generally come up empty. I think that is because in my case, DPDR is constant and is almost always accompanied by either fatigue, anxiety, mind chatter, or racing thoughts/OCD. The closest I've come to enjoying it is that feeling just before you fall asleep, where you're lying in bed, when both mind and body are exhausted, and you know you're only moments away from sleep. Kind of like when you're drunk and a little dizzy, but not sick, just really tired from a good night out. The trouble is always waking up the next day and dealing with it all over again.

#7 dissoziation

dissoziation

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:39 PM

I'm going to be honest and say that after living with DP/DR for a while, there are some symptoms that used to torment me that have transformed into 'perks' of sorts. 

#8 yoloking123

yoloking123

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:48 PM

No not at all bro! Screw DP

#9 Guest_Wandering Nomad_*

Guest_Wandering Nomad_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:12 PM

I enjoy DP when it protects me. What I mean by that is I don't feel emotion, I don't care. Someone could stab me and I wouldn't care or emotionally feel anything. So it does protect me in emotion situations that I'd rather not feel anyway. It's fucked up I know but it's helped me through my step dads suicide when I had to care for my mother

#10 XBrave

XBrave

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 04:14 AM

yes . some people actually try to overdose on weed/cocaine/mdma to detach themselves from reality and have fun for a long while . like really crazy squad . if you could enjoy it and not obsess about it, it does fade away sooner than it's supposed to

#11 eddy1886

eddy1886

• DPSH Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 28 October 2016 - 06:44 AM

Does it occur to anyone that starting to enjoy  this side of DP is actually a form of recovery....Think about things in the past pre DP that would have caused you major distress...Now after DP has established itself in our psyches some of us can actually shut this distressing stuff out...Is this not the mind protection side of DP that so many people talk about...Have we maybe managed to tune into a form of good defensive mind mode that we are all told our minds are doing to us in the first place....Maybe we have just adjusted and learned to recognise this weird feeling which used to terrify us as a positive comforting feeling...Or maybe we have just become desensitized to the symptoms...To me its definitely a sign of recovery when something that used to scare the living daylights out of us has now become almost enjoyable to a certain extent...

#12 drewr007

drewr007

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:29 PM

I would say the only thing I enjoy is never being bored. I either feel strange or less strange and the first makes me scared and the second makes me grateful. Having a constant battle in my head means I don't need as much outside stimulation as I used to. So i guess there's that.

I also feel more creative than I used to. Maybe it's because I don't care about other people judging what I create. I care if they judge me for my limitations and how I feel but people not liking my creations has gone way down in the list of things I worry about.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users