Are you able to be in a relationship with DP/DR? - Page 2 - DPSelfhelp.com Member Polls - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Are you able to be in a relationship with DP/DR?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you able to be in a relationship with DP/DR? (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you able to be in a relationship with DP/DR?

1. Voted Yes (23 votes [41.07%])

Percentage of vote: 41.07%

2. Voted No (33 votes [58.93%])

Percentage of vote: 58.93%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#13 bintuae

bintuae

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:05 PM

I didn't know dp affects relationships. I've been texting this guy I met online with no intentions to date, but I see myself very interested in him (he's interested in me too) and I'm not able to let him go. That said, I'm not sure if I even have any feelings of love towards him. It's so weird. like I want him but I can't feel love. I write "I love you" to him but it feels like a lie. I don't know what to do. How can I meet him feeling like this? 

#14 dissoziation

dissoziation

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:30 PM

My depersonalization is mild/moderate at this point and I'm currently in a long distance relationship with a guy that I appreciate very much. He knows that I have DPDR but I don't focus a lot on it since it's not much of an issue for me other than relapsing symptoms. Admittedly, I question myself every so often if I really love him and vice versa, but I'm still romantically affected by him, and I take it as a sign that I do have these feelings for him. While he doesn't have DPDR, we do share two other mental conditions and we support each other.

I sympathize with you all who have had bad experiences with relationships and DPDR, though. 

#15 whatislife

whatislife

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:06 AM

I tried for to be in a relationship for a couple weeks with DPDR but I couldn't enjoy myself at all which is when I finally reached a breaking point and started taking medication. I started out taking both Zoloft and Lamotrigine and within a week I felt so much better I started to enjoy hanging out with her and socializing with everyone. If i were to rate how dissociated i felt on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being the worst 10 being normal/recovered) before medication i would say i was at a 3/10. Medication bumped me up on the scale to a 8/10 which was the best feeling in the world. After a couple more weeks of being on the same meds I started to feel a little more dissociated than before, for some reason, and dropped to a 6 or 7/10 which was depressing. I'm still on the same meds and started experimenting with adding a small dose of Klonopin which seems to help a bit, and looking into other meds that can bump me up a couple more points on the scale. Basically I went from being unable to be in a relationship to having a really good relationship that I could enjoy a little more if my symptoms diminish more. 

#16 Trith

Trith

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 05:14 AM

It is very hard for me to have a genuine connection with someone, because of derealization. It always looks like it doesn't "click" with people, except I have this thing with everybody.

Also physical contact with a girl doesn't "touch" me, it is too unreal. I get much more feelings if I daydream about girl, but I try to refrain from that.

Even if everything is going well with a girl, and she is obviously interested, I suddenly don't feel like it, and if I force myself to do something I get totally dissociated. I did that once, and stayed in the relationship for 2 months, being emotionally dissociated, and it was quite bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users