Does talking to others reduce your DP/DR? - DPSelfhelp.com Member Polls - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Does talking to others reduce your DP/DR?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poll: Does talking to people reduce your DP/DR? (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Does talking to people reduce your DP/DR?

1. Yes, completely (2 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

2. Voted Yes, somewhat (13 votes [29.55%])

Percentage of vote: 29.55%

3. Yes, slightly (5 votes [11.36%])

Percentage of vote: 11.36%

4. Yes, variably (7 votes [15.91%])

Percentage of vote: 15.91%

5. Voted No, it doesn't (17 votes [38.64%])

Percentage of vote: 38.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_freedsoul_*

Guest_freedsoul_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:35 PM

In my experience talking to others helps to significantly alleviate the symptoms of my DP/DR. Sometimes it gets rid of it completely, but sometimes it comes in waves/flashes even when I'm talking to people. I'm curious to know to what degree socializing improves others conditions.

#2 mana_war

mana_war

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:08 AM

I totally understand it comes in waves for me too, but it is only certain people. If i find myself looking at their eyes talking for a long time I start to feel the dimensions of the room and start to feel aware of the space between us. It happened when i used to talk to my counselor in high school, my advisor in college and chem lab partner in college. Used to happen with my dad but we don't sit and talk for long periods of time anymore so I haven't felt that for a long while. I always wish we can continue talking just so I can see where the feeling goes, but I always have to leave the session or w/e. I remember watching Marina Abromavics piece 'The Artist is Presesnt" where she just looks into different people's eyes for months. That I feel would be a good therapy, I guess because a lot of the time we feel like we cannot connect If I could meet someone to do that with no judgement it would be an experiment.

#3 aworthycause

aworthycause

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:03 PM

Yes, significantly. Not just DP/DR which I don't have that much of anymore, but also depression and anxiety. Makes me wish I had more people to talk with. :sadsack: :lonelyloser: :P

#4 Chip1021

Chip1021

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 627 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:56 PM

Yes, but only with certain people, and certain types of conversation. Casual chat about life, and abstract things like politics and ideas make it better. My family yelling at me because I'm a black sheep who lives at his parents and doesn't have a career or anything certainly doesn't make it any better.

#5 hankat

hankat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:54 AM

If I'm in the middle of an episode, I've never had a chat of any kind snap me out of it. I just have to soldier on. However, if the episode is not too intense, then it can kind of be distracted from? I don't know if that's the right word. Especially if someone has managed to change my mood - i.e. if someone starts making me laugh it can fend off a mild experience of DP/DR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users