Driving a Vehicle - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Driving a Vehicle

Help Driving Car Anxiety Fear

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PhyzeekMr.O

PhyzeekMr.O

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:10 PM

I have a question. I need to learn to drive soon. But Since dpdr comes from fear/anxiety, l am afraid I am not in clear mind when I get behind the wheel. I get afraid when I get behind the wheel already, how much more when that elevates because of the dpdr? Can I learn to drive like normal people or is it widely known to not drive while being in the dpdr state? thanks

#2 Omnismorss

Omnismorss

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 125 posts
  • LocationBrasil

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:31 PM

Well when my dp is bad i dont drive, because i know i can have a panic attack in the middle of the road and no one can drive my motorcycle, but i learned to drive when i had dp, even with fear, i think YES dp worse all your fears, but if ou let it control you, you will not Live só be strong and try to learn anyways.

#3 PhyzeekMr.O

PhyzeekMr.O

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for the response. I am just afraid that I am not "sober" in a sense, so I am not fit to be behind the wheel. I need to know from other dp/dr victims that its OK And SAFE to learn to drive while in the dp/dr state.

#4 Guest_Selig_*

Guest_Selig_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:27 PM

I find I am more alert driving because I am constantly in a state of hyper-arousal. This makes me a good driver but easily exhausted. Don't forget to take breaks and don't overdo it!

#5 thistooshallpass

thistooshallpass

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:44 PM

I drive all the time. You are aware of everything and you are in control. My driving has actually improved now and I am a lot more cautious. :) Make sure to not overwhelm yourself though. Good luck :) You'll do great! 

#6 pocketgenius

pocketgenius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSomerset, UK

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:12 PM

I can drive with problems most of the time. If I'm even a little bit tired though I daren't go too far so I avoid it if I can, ditto if my anxiety is up, though the Fluoxetine keeps that on an even keel at the mo. 

#7 Chukka

Chukka

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:02 PM

I goT my licenses over the summer while having dpdr you'll do fine but I find my self getting distracted while I'm driving

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Help, Driving, Car, Anxiety, Fear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users