Depersonalization vs Enlightenment? What is the difference - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Depersonalization vs Enlightenment? What is the difference

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 danjohnbig

danjohnbig

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:21 PM

Dp= no self, time distortions, mirror, unreal world, unsure about time, person etc, fear, anxiety, self absorbed.

Enlightenment= People say they experience emptiness and feel one with the world, compassion, good feelings, caring, love, a complete wholeness with NO fear, they go to bed at night feeling whole, an experience of some sort of happiness, no need to be attached.

So does this mean then, that if one was to experience egoless, then there would be no DP?

Because maybe DP people have ego's just like everyone else but are not meeting there needs or cant meet there needs, or there needs and Expectations are far greater. and so the ego needs to be protected and DP is the protector of the ego.

DP is possibly protected the ego from pain, not good enough, or needs.

But how can there be DP when there is No ego?   No ego means there is nothing to fear, or to hide from, or to feel good enough.  Because buddist monks don't have no bank, car, house, six pack, women, money, etc and they don't have DP.  because there is nothing to protect there ego..

Its just my guess but I believe DP to be some sort of ego protection, BUT I don't think this is the case for people who have been abused or drugs. I think this is for people who got DP from anxiety, not being good enough, depression etc

#2 TDX

TDX

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• Banned
  • 1370 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:59 PM

I am not an expert but enlightement is defined to be a state without suffering, which can't be said for depersonalization. It is also said that enlightement can be achieved by mindfulness meditation. It has been shown in some studies that depersonalization correlates inversely with mindfulness. Some months ago I also read a study where differences between "dissociation" and meditative states were discussed.

Unfortunately I haven't yet found a psychological article which discusses enlightement or even aims to operationalize it. Nothing seems to be known about it.

#3 ThoughtOnFire

ThoughtOnFire

Custodian

• Administrators
  • 1368 posts
  • LocationMiddle of the Veil

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:08 PM

IMO Enlightenment is nothing more and nothing less than the most optimal state of mind. Meaning simply that enlightenment is everything working "just as it should". DP is some shitty mode of operation.

#4 Ningen

Ningen

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:38 PM

Honestly I think there is some factor of englithenment in DP. It's definitely a mental illness that needs to be cured, but I believe most people are enlightened through suffering, especially in the case of depersonalization. Most of us have existential thoughts and percieve things differently from "normal" people, so I think most of us are enlightened in some way. However the more enlightened one becomes the less enlightened one feels, so that might explain the doubt about being enlightened. But that's just my opinion.

#5 gasspanicc

gasspanicc

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:47 PM

#6 gasspanicc

gasspanicc

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:48 PM

but no there is nothing special about DP, its just ur brain's wiring going FQWFE\\Q3AEGSRB\W3FESVBZBRTDF

#7 eddy1886

eddy1886

• DPSH Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:11 PM

Enlightenment doesnt scare the living daylights out of you and make you feel paranoid or afraid or lethargic or depressed or lonely or trapped or anxious or generally like youve completely lost your mind..Enlightenment to me is the opposite of all this and hence the complete opposite of DP..Never when i was caught in the throws of chronic bouts of DP did i ever feel enlightened..In fact i felt the total opposite "f****d up" pardon my french..DP is horrendous..Enlightenment is bliss !

#8 Ningen

Ningen

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:38 PM

Maybe people have a different definition of enlightenment than I do.I feel as though I've learned a lot about myself and who other people are from my DP. To me enlightenment means "wisdom or knowledge gained by transcending normal human experience," and I think DP fits that description. I am extremely perplexed as to people's unflinching adamance towards DP not being enligtenment. I'd consider my blank mind enlightenment, but unpleasant because I have earthly desires to think and feel. You may not consider your DP enlightenment because it feels like hell. However, earthly enlightenment is not bliss, it's hell.

#9 Irene

Irene

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:36 AM

If feeling confused, blank minded, tongue twisted, brain zapped, unfamiliar,dizzy, and numb is "enlightenment"...then by all means I'm VERY enlightened and do not want to be...

#10 Haumea

Haumea

• DPSH Members
  • 696 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:00 AM

Unfortunately I haven't yet found a psychological article which discusses enlightement or even aims to operationalize it. Nothing seems to be known about it.

If you guys are interested, Transpersonal psychology covers the various states/stages of "enlightenment."

E.g. This is Ken Wilber's version.  He doesn't call it enlightenment, but rather splits post-ego stages into the psychic, the subtle and the causal stages.

This is another definition of enlightenment (called "realiisation.")

I do think that in most DP sufferers there's an aggravated ego-shadow split (typically mind-body, examplified by existential thoughts basically taking over and running wild) and this is the stage where focus needs placing (as well as a lower stage where Self-Esteem needs to be achieved.)  The key to battling existential thoughts is not with other thoughts, but by reintegrating the body into the mind-body equation.

Sort of a simplistic plan for overcoming DP, especially for "thinking dominant DP types":

1) Gain self-esteem (ask yourself "what do I need to be doing to feel good about myself?")

2) Integrate the body (the domain of doing and sensing, as opposed to thinking) through regular activities of certain kinds right for you.

(If you're saying "how can I gain self-esteem when I'm so focused on my DP symptoms?" that's normal - but do it despite them.  You will see an improvement, and this will encourage you to continue.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users