*Trigger Warning* solipsism depressed - Page 2 - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

*Trigger Warning* solipsism depressed

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#13 *Dreamer*

*Dreamer*

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 3681 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:23 PM

OMG, no one read a word I wrote.  Solipsism is NOT what we experience.  It is a Philiosophical DEBATE.  So is Nihilism.
There is no diagnosis of Solopsism or Nihilism, and no one who has studied these concepts and writes about them develops DP!

FROM WIKIPEDIA:

Nihilism (/ˈnaɪ.ɨlɪzəm/ or /ˈniː.ɨlɪzəm/; from the Latin nihil, nothing) is a philosophical doctrine that suggests the negation of one or more reputedly meaningful aspects of life. The Greek philosopher and Sophist, Gorgias (ca. 485 BCE–380 BCE), is perhaps the first to consider the Nihilistic belief. Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form of existential nihilism, which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value.[1] Moral nihilists assert that morality does not inherently exist, and that any established moral values are abstractly contrived. Nihilism can also take epistemological or ontological/metaphysical forms, meaning respectively that, in some aspect, knowledge is not possible, or that reality does not actually exist.
The term is sometimes used in association with anomie to explain the general mood of despair at a perceived pointlessness of existence that one may develop upon realising there are no necessary norms, rules, or laws.[2] Movements such as Futurism and deconstruction,[3] among others, have been identified by commentators as "nihilistic" at various times in various contexts.
Nihilism is also a characteristic that has been ascribed to time periods: for example, Jean Baudrillard and others have called postmodernity a nihilistic epoch,[4] and some Christian theologians and figures of religious authority have asserted that postmodernity[5] and many aspects of modernity[3] represent a rejection of theism, and that such rejection of their theistic doctrine entails nihilism.

You can go to university to study nihilism and existentialism and solipsism. You go to medical school to study dissociative disorders.

THESE ARE NOT THE SAME THING. GAH.
I give up.

#14 WorkingOnIt

WorkingOnIt

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:46 PM

OMG, no one read a word I wrote.  Solipsism is NOT what we experience.  It is a Philiosophical DEBATE.  So is Nihilism.
There is no diagnosis of Solopsism or Nihilism, and no one who has studied these concepts and writes about them develops DP!

FROM WIKIPEDIA:

You can go to university to study nihilism and existentialism and solipsism. You go to medical school to study dissociative disorders.

THESE ARE NOT THE SAME THING. GAH.
I give up.

I read it and totally agree with you!  The feeling is the problem, not the words/ideas.

#15 Abridge

Abridge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:22 AM

I don't even want to read about nihilism lol but how did you get over solipsism?

I don't even want to read about nihilism lol but how did you get over solipsism?

Hey there,

Not sure if you're still having a challenge with "getting over" solipsism syndrome, but if so... Here's some food for thought from someone whose been through it (suffered for 2-3 years), and gotten over it. (:

I can't really offer 100% help b/c we all may have different reasons for why this philosophy haunts us, but hopefully this will put some things into perspective...

The core of the problem you are experiencing is an obsessive thought problem- not an inherent present issue with the theory of solipsism which sufferers think needs to be solved/disproved/explained/examined. Once you realize this, your fight against the issue (your issue = your thought patterns, rather than an unprovable theory) will be much less terrifying. The reason why this is so maddening is simple. Imagine wanting to know 100% without doubt whether your parents truly deeply love you- in cold fact... Imagine obsessing over that 24 hrs a day. Imagine that theres a doubt within you that won't sleep because you don't have scientific evidence that your parents really love you, no matter how much they show their love, so you're always left wondering and being skeptical your whole life, rather than what most of us do- just assume that their symbols of love, care, and the inherent nature of them having given birth to you, means they must love you and moving on with it. That's the maniacal equivalence of worrying about whether the world around you is real or not.

Also consider this- the world hasn't given you any reason to doubt it's existence, and furthermore, all signs indicate (for the most part) that things typically are what they seem and people are real like you are because we act like we are and we tell you we are real, so it would be the most logical to trust that and believe so. Fighting against the grain and pulling your brain apart to try and see it from the other perspective only brings pain and confusion. If you believe there is a truth (which clearly you do b/c you're concerned with proving or disproving this theory), you can draw your own conclusions that reality being real is further toward a "truth" even just for the simple matter that it feels safer/happier/satisfying/intuitively correct/logical/NATURAL, and if truth is what your seeking, it would seem to follow sense that believing that reality exists is the most reasonable path, at least to build basic framework and continue your search for truth.

Another thing is - humans need love in our lives. We need to be vulnerable, let someone know us deeply, let them love us and share a world with them... When you have a loving/caring relationship whether it's friend-based or with a partner, navigating this sometimes cold world can feel a little safer and less lonely. (:

Also- whatever this reality is or what you want to believe, just think about all the precious time we'e wasting not doing the things we love or adventuring through this incredible world of mystery... ?

A final note: take a deep breath, chill out, and let your heart, feelings, and intuition guide you rather than your mind. Our minds are sometimes incredible things- other times they can be the biggest wastes of time and worry. (:

#16 yellow_lamp

yellow_lamp

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:08 PM

Assume that solipsism idea is true. So what then? Does this mean you have to stop studying/working/eating? My answer is no, cause even if the world is an illusion, this illusion is still quite stable. As soon as you realize it, you'll understand that its bullshit.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users