Recovered from Marijuana induced DP/DR - Page 4 - Recovery Stories - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Recovered from Marijuana induced DP/DR

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#37 ManOnTheSilverMountain

ManOnTheSilverMountain

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:53 AM

Hi All,

I just passed the 5 year anniversary of my "misadventure," and I'm happy to say that I've not had any return of symptoms.  It's been a pretty good year for me in many ways and my normal enthusiasm and sense of self has gotten even stronger.  As I've said in the past, I felt pretty good before "the troubles," but I feel way better now and I chalk much of that up to the lifestyle and emotional habit changes I had to make to recover.  I've been getting good feedback on my Amazon eBook, titled Recovering from Marijuana Induced Depersonalization/Derealization, A Practical Guide.  I appreciate the thoughtful reviews.  

Despite the passage of 5 years, this experience remains by far, the worst thing that ever happened to me and the year I spent working to heal my mind was the toughest thing I've ever done, but I'm much better off now that I was before.  

I still stay away from marijuana, but I don't have issues with people who use it.  I do think this can happen to anyone and it's one of the hidden risks of marijuana that nobody talks about.  

If you're new here and you feel like you've just gotten unplugged from the matrix, hang in there.  This is a temporary condition that goes away, but it takes a while and you can heal faster if you work at it.  I was over the worst of it after a few months, felt normal most of the time at 6 months and was 100% after a year.  For some people, recovery is quicker, for others slower, but we all eventually recover.

Cheers!

ManOnTheSilverMountain

#38 Ahungerf

Ahungerf

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:05 PM

I also got this from weed 2 yes ago. All symptoms come and go with anxiety levels but one symptom that has not changed in the least is light sensitivity that includes a derealized dream like sensation. The sky for example is incredibly bright, shimmery, and just seems dreamlike when really sunny. I feel it’s the stark contrast of the landscape such as buildings and the bright sky behind it always instantly triggers this look of it being artificial. This visual issue has not changed at all. I’ve learned to become less fearful of it but it always grabs my attention. Did you experience issues with lighting? And if so when and how did you notice it change or receed? You gave me so much hope when I first read your post over a year ago but yet this symptom has not aleiviated me??

#39 zouzoux

zouzoux

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:43 PM

Yes, the feeling Ahungerf is also similar to my symptom combined also with feeling that the world I see in front of me is the only thing that exists ( like below the ground there is emptiness and darkness ) . Does theese feelings say something to you ?

Thank you for checking back Mountain! Yours posts helped me alot while I was at the worst when it all started!

#40 Dancing_master

Dancing_master

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:42 AM

Hi All,

I just passed the 5 year anniversary of my "misadventure," and I'm happy to say that I've not had any return of symptoms.  It's been a pretty good year for me in many ways and my normal enthusiasm and sense of self has gotten even stronger.  As I've said in the past, I felt pretty good before "the troubles," but I feel way better now and I chalk much of that up to the lifestyle and emotional habit changes I had to make to recover.  I've been getting good feedback on my Amazon eBook, titled Recovering from Marijuana Induced Depersonalization/Derealization, A Practical Guide.  I appreciate the thoughtful reviews.  

Despite the passage of 5 years, this experience remains by far, the worst thing that ever happened to me and the year I spent working to heal my mind was the toughest thing I've ever done, but I'm much better off now that I was before.  

I still stay away from marijuana, but I don't have issues with people who use it.  I do think this can happen to anyone and it's one of the hidden risks of marijuana that nobody talks about.  

If you're new here and you feel like you've just gotten unplugged from the matrix, hang in there.  This is a temporary condition that goes away, but it takes a while and you can heal faster if you work at it.  I was over the worst of it after a few months, felt normal most of the time at 6 months and was 100% after a year.  For some people, recovery is quicker, for others slower, but we all eventually recover.

Cheers!

ManOnTheSilverMountain

Hi, I actually bought ur book on amazon it helped. I just want to ask, what can I do about the anhedonia? my story is that I got DPDR after a weed edible trip similar to yours, I had anxiety disorder before that but it was like super super mild. I never got panic attacks. After this I started getting panic attacks then 2 months later got a horrible one that reminded me of the trip. Then I got all the DPDR stuff. I actually went the anti-depressant route, taking SSRIs. It gave me bad side effects like depression and loss of motivation and apathy... but it did take away panic attacks and I think it helped with DPDR other than the existential anxieties.

The complication is I then got scared that the medications would permanently affect my brain because of the apathy and demotivation I felt... I got off them after 8 months and the DPDR came back and so did the panic attacks for 4 months, then after that I only feel anhedonia basically and emotional numbing. So I don't know if this is the DPDR or the medications but I think it is the DPDR because I have motivation now I just can't feel my feelings... it is very strange. Was this something you felt during DPDR? It is the worst I would rather feel horrible panic attacks than emotional numbing. Even

#41 ManOnTheSilverMountain

ManOnTheSilverMountain

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 02:18 AM

I've had a few people ask about anhedonia and what I did about it.  I think my anhedonia was caused by my brain still needing to heal.  Anhedonia hit me hard at about 3 months and left me with feelings of meaninglessness and a lack of enthusiasm for all the things that once brought me joy.  I often felt that I was simply going through the motions.  In retrospect, during the time I experienced anhedonia, I still had many lingering anxiety symptoms and I think the two were related.  The anxiety centers of my brain were still overactive and I still had occasional episodes of uncontrolled anxiety.  I found that when my brain returned to normal, the anhedonia and anxiety both gradually went away.

The larger question, is how did I help speed this aspect of my recovery?  I used the old addage "act your way into better thinking."  You can't will your thoughts or feelings to change.  The only way you can influence them is through your actions.  As such, I deliberately forced myself to engage in life.  I joined a sports league that played multiple times each week.  This gave me both regular cardiovascular exercise as well as socialization.  I found that when I was playing or in the locker room with the guys, I was absolutely unaware that I had anhedonia, anxiety or any other issue.  Essentially, I was unaware of myself because I was intensely focused on what I was doing.  I took every opportunity to go fishing with my son, despite the fact that I didn't feel like it.  While I was out with him, I started to feel fleeting moments of normality.  Very gradually, with an aggressive self-care regimen, started to look forward to my league games and to doing outdoors things with my son.  This "looking forward to" things marked the beginning of the end of my anhedonia.  This didn't happen overnight.  It was the result of several deliberate changes I made related to diet, exercise, how I spent my time and how I responded to sensations of anxiety and odd thinking.  

I'm not a big advocate of anti-depressants for treating marijuana induced DP/DR.  I've opined about this in other posts.  I think anti-depressants are for treating people with primary depression.  If you go to a psychiatrist, you will always leave with a psychiatric diagnosis and a prescription for pills.  It's what psychiatrists are trained to do and what insurance pays them to do.  I think marijuana induced DP/DR is best treated by time, aggressive self-care, cognitive behavioral therapy, practicing mindfulness, a strong support system and a good therapist (e.g. one that uses talk therapies and not just meds).  A lot of people look to "experts" to cure them and to meds for magic bullet fixes.  The only person who can really impact your recovery is you, and the best way to do that is by taking deliberate, consistent action over the long-term.  This is not easy.  I'm in my mid 50s and this is still the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life, but I didn't do it alone.  I had help from people on this forum, from a therapist, from my family and from my close friends.  I made recovery my number one priority for at least a year of my life.  By recovery, I don't mean thinking about recovery, I mean taking actions....doing recovery.  I did this because I was miserable.  I wasn't so much running toward health as much as I was running away from hell.  I started running and never stopped.  I still do most of the self-care practices I started five years ago and I got my life back.  My world is once again familiar, comforting and occasionally a source of happiness and joy.  The normal emotional textures of my life have returned completely and I no longer experience anhedonia, generalized anxiety, odd existential thoughts or DP/DR.  I haven't experienced any symptoms in about 4 years.  This is my first time logging on to this forum since May, but I do check back occasionally.  

Cheers!

MSM

#42 ManOnTheSilverMountain

ManOnTheSilverMountain

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:34 AM

Hi All,

I recently passed the sixth anniversary of my hellish year of marijuana induced DP/DR.  I'm happy to say that I'm still completely recovered from DP/DR and I've not had any symptoms in at least five years.  If you read my account, you know that I had this as bad as anyone and I spent a year battling with the unreal and demoralizing symptoms.  This was easily the most terrifying, challenging and life-changing experience of my life, and I'm in my 50s.  I did fully recover with a great deal of help, persistence and discipline, but I will never forget the trauma and anxiety that were my daily companions for several months.  These memories no longer trigger a visceral response and I rarely think about them these days.  I don't frequent this group anymore, as I have moved on, but I do come back every year to remind people that full and lasting recovery is not only possible but common.  I recorded my experiences and recovery journey in a book which many people have said was helpful to them, titled Recovering from Marijuana Induced Derealization and Depersonalization.  If you've fallen into the strange, unexpected and frankly unreal world of Marijuana induced DP/DR, hang in there.  You're not losing your mind, you're not mentally ill and most of all, you will recover with time and good self-care. 

Cheers!

MSM 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users