Recovered from Marijuana induced DP/DR - Page 3 - Recovery Stories - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Recovered from Marijuana induced DP/DR

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#25 Jjj123

Jjj123

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:11 PM

There's so much advice on here bro. Ur attitude sucks man. U gotta change it or you'll never get better.

#26 Jjj123

Jjj123

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:12 PM

I'm the most negative person in the world and it makes it harderer. You're job now is to become a new better person. That's how h overcome this shit. Accept it and live Ur life bro

#27 partiedtoohard

partiedtoohard

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:03 AM

It isn't negativity. I am sick of constantly being accused of being negative. The truth is I am just cursed with being a realist. If there was a way to cure it, I could post a thread asking, "how do I cure my DP?" and I would get a solid, straight answer. You know what I'll actually get if I post such a thread? Silence.

Yes it is negativity dude. People come onto the recovery section to be happy for one another and for healing people to have hope the same thing happens to them, not to hear someone say "you got lucky nothing more".
Yes, there is no one set answer to recovery this is true. BUT PEOPLE DO RECOVER, AND ITS NOT ALL JUST DUMB LUCK. Sometimes recovery isn't just black and white as much as we would like it to be. 

Again, I have to ask, if you HONESTLY think there is no hope, there is no cure, and you are never getting better, then why the hell are you here? 

#28 jestemzalamany

jestemzalamany

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:44 AM

Most of the poeple with DP do recover. We have to accept the condition we have now, and hope that one day we will get cured (I believe most of us will!). Worrying cannot change things for good. Imagine you're going to have it for 2 years. Acceptance will only help you! The sooner you accept it the sooner you will recover! And that is something I am still working on because I feel like I haven't fully accepted yet. And that what keeps me nad probably most of us from recovering.

#29 partiedtoohard

partiedtoohard

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:24 AM

Most of the poeple with DP do recover. We have to accept the condition we have now, and hope that one day we will get cured (I believe most of us will!). Worrying cannot change things for good. Imagine you're going to have it for 2 years. Acceptance will only help you! The sooner you accept it the sooner you will recover! And that is something I am still working on because I feel like I haven't fully accepted yet. And that what keeps me nad probably most of us from recovering.

Good luck buddy stay strong and hopeful. Its a hard task I know but we will indeed recover. Have you had it for 2 years yourself?

#30 jestemzalamany

jestemzalamany

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:23 PM

Good luck buddy stay strong and hopeful. Its a hard task I know but we will indeed recover. Have you had it for 2 years yourself?

No, I've had it for almost a year now. But this year I am going to beat DP I promise. 

#31 partiedtoohard

partiedtoohard

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:55 PM

No, I've had it for almost a year now. But this year I am going to beat DP I promise. 

Good attitude. You will overcome it. I am at a year and a month now, and I am still confident I will overcome. 

#32 ManOnTheSilverMountain

ManOnTheSilverMountain

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:46 PM

Hi All,

I'm checking in, as it's near the four year anniversary of my overdose.  I'm still completely recovered and have had no anxiety of any kind for three years.  However, this syndrome robbed me of a year of my life.  If you've read my posts, you know that I had this thing as bad as anyone and it took me a long time to recover.  After about 6 months, I was mostly out of the woods, but I went through a long tail end where I still felt slightly off.  It was a full year before I was truly over it.  Being in the clear for 3 years has given me some perspective on the whole thing and has helped me to appreciate being recovered.  I don't frequently return to this forum and I apologize to those who've written and not gotten responses.  I have decided to write my recovery experiences and the things I learned on this forum as a book, which I plan to publish.  I have corresponded with so many people in recovery and it does seem that those of us with marijuana induced DP/DR seem to have very similar symptoms and paths to recovery.  There currently aren't any books specifically about recovery for marijuana induced DP/DR so I thought I'd write one that synthesizes everything I've learned from reading this forum and from the many people with whom I've corresponded over these four years.  

I few specific things prompted me to do this.  First, in my correspondence, I frequently found myself cutting and pasting the same advice over and over again and I thought would be a good idea to put all my writings on one place.  Second, I found that there was a huge amount of ignorance and misunderstanding concerning marijuana induced DP/DR, what causes it and how to recover from it.  Last, I found that an increasing number of people are developing it due to the increase in the use of legal edibles.  For the record, I have no issue with legalization, but it is a fact that more people are reporting to emergency rooms with marijuana induced anxiety and many of these people go on to develop protracted anxiety with DP/DR symptoms.  Too often, these people are told that they have had a psychotic break or that they are mentally ill when in fact, this syndrome is generally a temporary reaction to trauma and nearly everyone completely recovers from it within a year or two.  As such, I wrote a book about my experience.

I do think that the experience has made me emotionally healthier than I was before.  I am much more mindful of other people, the world around me, real priorities and reality than I was.  I'm also more emotionally attuned, as I find that I self-monitor much better without being too internally focused.  I'm also in much better physical shape.  I lost 40 lbs. during my recovery and I've kept it off because I've continued the exercise regimen I started in order to recover.  I've also maintained my dietary changes.  

Still, I look back at that year of my life as the greatest challenge I ever faced; particularly the first 4 months.  That time seemed like it took years to pass and it was the most unreal, terrifying and bewildering experience of my life and I'm now 50 years old.  I am extremely grateful to have recovered from those feelings of unreality and I have carefully avoided marijuana, although I no longer fear it.  

If you're a new person struggling with this unimaginable challenge, hang in there.  Although it seems like it will last forever, it definitely passes.

Cheers!

ManOnTheSilverMountain

#33 yoloking123

yoloking123

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:53 AM

5 months and im out here on 2 years. Lifes not fair.

#34 Grindelwald

Grindelwald

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:21 PM

Hi All,

I'm checking in, as it's near the four year anniversary of my overdose.  I'm still completely recovered and have had no anxiety of any kind for three years.  However, this syndrome robbed me of a year of my life.  If you've read my posts, you know that I had this thing as bad as anyone and it took me a long time to recover.  After about 6 months, I was mostly out of the woods, but I went through a long tail end where I still felt slightly off.  It was a full year before I was truly over it.  Being in the clear for 3 years has given me some perspective on the whole thing and has helped me to appreciate being recovered.  I don't frequently return to this forum and I apologize to those who've written and not gotten responses.  I have decided to write my recovery experiences and the things I learned on this forum as a book, which I plan to publish.  I have corresponded with so many people in recovery and it does seem that those of us with marijuana induced DP/DR seem to have very similar symptoms and paths to recovery.  There currently aren't any books specifically about recovery for marijuana induced DP/DR so I thought I'd write one that synthesizes everything I've learned from reading this forum and from the many people with whom I've corresponded over these four years.  

I few specific things prompted me to do this.  First, in my correspondence, I frequently found myself cutting and pasting the same advice over and over again and I thought would be a good idea to put all my writings on one place.  Second, I found that there was a huge amount of ignorance and misunderstanding concerning marijuana induced DP/DR, what causes it and how to recover from it.  Last, I found that an increasing number of people are developing it due to the increase in the use of legal edibles.  For the record, I have no issue with legalization, but it is a fact that more people are reporting to emergency rooms with marijuana induced anxiety and many of these people go on to develop protracted anxiety with DP/DR symptoms.  Too often, these people are told that they have had a psychotic break or that they are mentally ill when in fact, this syndrome is generally a temporary reaction to trauma and nearly everyone completely recovers from it within a year or two.  As such, I wrote a book about my experience.

I do think that the experience has made me emotionally healthier than I was before.  I am much more mindful of other people, the world around me, real priorities and reality than I was.  I'm also more emotionally attuned, as I find that I self-monitor much better without being too internally focused.  I'm also in much better physical shape.  I lost 40 lbs. during my recovery and I've kept it off because I've continued the exercise regimen I started in order to recover.  I've also maintained my dietary changes.  

Still, I look back at that year of my life as the greatest challenge I ever faced; particularly the first 4 months.  That time seemed like it took years to pass and it was the most unreal, terrifying and bewildering experience of my life and I'm now 50 years old.  I am extremely grateful to have recovered from those feelings of unreality and I have carefully avoided marijuana, although I no longer fear it.  

If you're a new person struggling with this unimaginable challenge, hang in there.  Although it seems like it will last forever, it definitely passes.

Cheers!

ManOnTheSilverMountain

I'll be honest, your thread was the first thread I read on the board and I ended up learning what I had and creating an account on here as a result. Your experience was so similar to mine, it was such a relief quite frankly. And I did recover. I'm not absolutely 100%, but close enough where it's not even an issue for me anymore. Thanks for the update!

#35 Ahungerf

Ahungerf

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:40 PM

Man On the Silver Mountain!! Great to see you check in. Yours was the first of posts I read that gave me the most hope... However after I passed the benchmark of around 6 months where you seemed to get better I moved on to otheres posts who had it for longer as we always want to be reassured from people who have the EXACT symptoms or EXACT length of time we've had it... anyway I look forward to your book. I've had mostly DR now for a year which was also weed induced. My still remaining symptoms are sunlight, or changes in light settings such as ( walking from room to room, an open door esposing the outside light, looking out of windows) even at night a well lit sky from a full moon can really give me a disconnected feeling from the sky. Anyway looking back it seemed you were always aware of your levels of dp/dr as you recovered... so do you subscribe to the notion that we must lose our fear of our symptoms and get lost in life or "forget about it" to fully recover? Or are we allowed to focus on our DP and remain self aware because no matter what time will heal us? Curious about your perspective on this because I can't seem to break the constant self awareness of my DR and the constant inner dialogue in my head about how I'm feeling... must we break this loop with distraction? Or as time allows symptoms to fade so will our focus on them? Hence alleviating the self monitoring? Thank you again so much for checking back in. Your posts were huge in the beginning and I hope your insight can help me now in these later stages of recovery.

#36 macmazz1985

macmazz1985

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 02:22 PM

I relate to much to you and how you describe yourself (I also read your first post which brought me to this one)

I'm in the same scenario you were but only 2 weeks have passed. 

I've good moments follow by terrible moments. I have a wife and a daughter and eating a pot brownie was not something i would've done if I knew there was the slightest chance of hurting myself and my family, I do accept the responsibility of not informing myself better, I guess out there currently there is more propaganda in favor that against marihuana.

It's very helpful to see someone that went through with a happy ending. Thank you for sharing your story I'll definitely apply your advices to try to speed up my recovery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users