Ice Bucket Challenge for dp :-p ??? - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Ice Bucket Challenge for dp :-p ???

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 little star

little star

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 60 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:26 AM

Hi everyone,

I am a 35 years old girl from the Netherlands. I have dp for 10 years now...

I have had different therapies, but now I have a great psychologist en he told me wat I have.

Now I know (after 10 years) that the dp comes from my 'Asperger symptoms' and social anxiety in my youth.

But, I see short shoots of the Ice Bucket Challenge for ALS on Facebook. It is good that they sponsor the ALS, 

but what about such a thing for dp ??? If there were good medicins for dp, life can be much easier for us... (???)

Greetings from the Netherlands ;-) !

#2 Drew1800

Drew1800

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:58 AM

That's a good idea but usually these fundraisers are for physical illnesses like ALS, cancer, MS, etc. I've never seen people raising large amounts of money for something like depresssion, let alone DP/DR. But aren't there many, many more people suffering from depression than ALS? Perhaps the recent death of Robin Williams can change public opinion on this and remove the stigma of mental illness.

#3 little star

little star

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 60 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

Hi Drew1800,

You say the right words ;-) . I have nothing to add to your words :-) .

Indeed, most of these 'actions' are for physical illnesses and not for mental disorders... 

I don't know if there are more people with mental disorders or physical illnesses... ???

It is a good question !

And yes, there is a stigma of mental disorders... So indeed, the death of Robin Williams is a 'good' example...

Greetings ;-) !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users