Do you worry obsessively about your health? - DPSelfhelp.com Member Polls - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Do you worry obsessively about your health?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Health anxiety questions (55 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you worry obsessively about your health

1. Voted A lot, nearly all the time (27 votes [49.09%])

Percentage of vote: 49.09%

2. Voted Frequently (14 votes [25.45%])

Percentage of vote: 25.45%

3. Sometimes (7 votes [12.73%])

Percentage of vote: 12.73%

4. Voted Infrequently (4 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

5. Voted Never (3 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

How often does worrying about your health give you anxiety or panic

1. Voted I often get anxiety panic attacks over my health (14 votes [25.45%])

2. I get anxiety and sometimes panic attacks over my health (14 votes [25.45%])

3. Voted Occasionally I'll get anxiety or panic attacks over my health, but not often (6 votes [10.91%])

Percentage of vote: 10.91%

4. I have anxiety over it but never panic attack (14 votes [25.45%])

5. Voted I rarely / never have anxiety over it (7 votes [12.73%])

Percentage of vote: 12.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 clockwork8

clockwork8

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:22 PM

Hey everyone, I'm just posting a poll about how much all of you worry about your health concerns and to what extent.

If the answers don't fit with your personal experience, please share them. Actually, sharing either way is encouraged.

Mostly I'm posting this because I've been pretty much anxiety and DP free for at least 6 months, if not longer, but then out of nowhere in the last 3 days I've had a pretty intense panic attack every day, and it's been over my physical health just about every time. I just start suddenly feeling like there must be something wrong with my body... like I must be experiencing heart failure, or a blood pressure emergency (don't even know if too high or too low), a blood sugar emergency, or I can't deliver enough oxygen to my blood with my breathing, etc. - And then I'll start trembling and hyperventilating and being very freaked out that there is definitely soething wrong with my body and I have to go to the hospital. I will feel like my body is going to shut down and that it really -needs- something but I don't even know what that is, I just feel so much fear that something is wrong and my life is in danger. So far, every time I've had to take xanax and every time it stopped between 30 to 60 minutes after it started. Everything about it looks like a panic attack, but I still can't stop worrying that maybe something really is wrong with me. It can be so hard to believe it's just anxiety in the moment, because it really feels so much like I could be dying. When I'm back to my normal state though, I'm 99% certain it was a panic attack, because nothing else makes sense - if it was something else, it wouldn't have been "fixed" by xanax, I would have had some prior indication that something was wrong, and I wouldn't feel completely fine when it was over.

Anyway, just sharing because I thought maybe having some reassurement that I'm not alone in this experience would make me feel better, and make some of you feel better who are suffering from the same thing, as I'm sure some people in this community are. :)

I'm feeling alright today, and I have taken xanax again today because I was feeling very on edge, but I haven't had a full out panic attack yet - if I can get through one day without one, then the next few days should get easier.

#2 Blippety

Blippety

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationIn your mind, reading your thoughts.

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

I've never been too fussed about my health right now, but I do have a fear of growing old and of dying, and my health in the future.

A month or so ago I did nearly have a panic attack though because I realised that, however unlikely, it was possible for me to die of a heart attack or something any minute. That was pretty weird and out of character.

#3 Queen Frick

Queen Frick

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:19 AM

I was never worried about my health, though my family will tell you different because I faked being sick a LOT. Right now I do obsess over my health because I've gotten so many medications and have been told these vague problems. Right now I have hypothyroidism, high blood pressure, an enlarged liver and spleen, plus lots of tummy issues. That with my already paranoid self makes me obsessive.

#4 RiseAboveThought

RiseAboveThought

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

I was more worried about the Depersonalization more then Derealization, but Derealization came here and there quite intense and then I worried, but now Depersonalization/Derealization doesn't effect me as much, there are times when I think 'its sucks' but that moment where I think 'it sucks' doesn't really last that long and it passes with time whether it's later on in the day or tomorrow. Best wishes.

#5 clockwork8

clockwork8

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:19 PM

I was never worried about my health, though my family will tell you different because I faked being sick a LOT. Right now I do obsess over my health because I've gotten so many medications and have been told these vague problems. Right now I have hypothyroidism, high blood pressure, an enlarged liver and spleen, plus lots of tummy issues. That with my already paranoid self makes me obsessive.

How long have you had hypothyroidism? Have you noticed any physical symptoms from it? And the other things? Or did they just get diagnosed without you finding symptoms first?

I was more worried about the Depersonalization more then Derealization, but Derealization came here and there quite intense and then I worried, but now Depersonalization/Derealization doesn't effect me as much, there are times when I think 'its sucks' but that moment where I think 'it sucks' doesn't really last that long and it passes with time whether it's later on in the day or tomorrow. Best wishes.

Yeah, it doesn't have as much effect on me either as it used to. It's more just the anxiety now... I can cope with DP/DR, because while it can kind of feel bizarre it doesn't hurt / feel like I'm going to die, but panic attacks do apparently. I don't really get it very often anymore though. And yeah I sometimes had depersonalization, sometimes derealization... derealization seemed the more ominous one to me, depersonalization basically made me feel like I was observing my life as someone else, which was unnerving, but the problem being with my body more so than all the world around me was easier to ignore.

#6 Henrry

Henrry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:12 PM

If the answers don't fit with your personal experience, please share them. Actually, sharing either way is encouraged.

#7 shadowshudder

shadowshudder

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 88 posts
  • LocationUnited States, California

Posted 12 October 2014 - 05:08 PM

I constantly worry about my mental health.

This past week I convinced myself I have: Schizophrenia, antisocial personality disorder, and borderline personality disorder.

I wanna get outta this rut. :(

#8 clockwork8

clockwork8

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:35 PM

I constantly worry about my mental health.

This past week I convinced myself I have: Schizophrenia, antisocial personality disorder, and borderline personality disorder.

I wanna get outta this rut. :(

Well i'm convinced I have ADD.

#9 Chip1021

Chip1021

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 597 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:00 PM

I don't worry about my health at all. I worry about my inability to function as a human being in this state.

Doctors consider me a hypochondriac because I used to go to them to test various theories as to my symptoms. Then they give me a "clean bill of health" and tell me I was worried for nothing. But they misunderstand me. I would love them to find something medically wrong with me, cause then I might have something to work towards treating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users