[Possible Trigger] Not entirely sure if this is DP/DR. Help? [trigger warning] - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

[Possible Trigger] Not entirely sure if this is DP/DR. Help? [trigger warning]

hyperawareness ego death human

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 princekelso

princekelso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:02 AM

I've been reading about symptoms regarding this disorder and while I can relate to a few of the symptoms, I'm not entirely convinced that I have this. Can anyone explain why I feel this way?

Sometimes, usually when I'm with a friend (especially after smoking cannabis), I'll look at my friend and see them a completely different way. For example, my friend ceases to be "Colby" and just another human, an animal. I look at his face and it seems so unfamiliar, like just a bunch of flesh and hair and organs. And I think about how I'm one of these "things" too, just as lost and scared as "it" is in this rock in space. It feels like my consciousness ascends and I'm seeing the world for what it really is without the lenses of my ego and conditioning. It's a lot like ego death, but I never feel connected to anything. It's always accompanied by a feeling of dread and fear. It's absolutely terrifying and when I snap out of it, my heart starts beating rapidly and I almost have an anxiety attack.

Can somebody confirm that this symptom is DP/DR or should I continue seeking answers about what it is?

#2 Meticulous

Meticulous

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 362 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:57 PM

Do you feel the same way for some time after the high wears off?

#3 bluecanary

bluecanary

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

This definitely sounds like derealization to me. For some, drugs (such as weed) are the trigger, although I believe that those of us who get it are kind of predisposed to it because of our thought patterns.

But yeah, I'd suggest laying off the weed if it does that to you, because it'll just keep happening.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hyperawareness, ego death, human

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users