DP is ego death - Spirituality Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

DP is ego death

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Jurgen

Jurgen

Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 923 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

"Ego-death" is a state preceding enlightenment. It is what some sages refer to as "dark night of the soul". The symptoms are in accordance with what many people experience in this state. It is commonly confusion, dismay, disassociation.

You disassociate when your ego (self-identity) becomes bruised. Your perception of your former life becomes a distortion, a phantasm of the past. You try to adjust to the former perception preceding DP but it no longer works.

This perception of the world feels outdated. You no longer refuse to be a part of the "lower levels".

"Enlightenment" and "recovery" is kind of like shedding snakeskin. You need to let go of that outdated perception.

#2 kelly326

kelly326

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

This is exactly how I feel!! Awesome post!!!! :)

#3 missjess

missjess

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 2232 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:03 PM

So being sexually abused is what enlightens you ?

That's just awfull I'm so sorry to hear that :(

And no of course it doesn't enlighten u !!

#4 Haumea

Haumea

• DPSH Members
  • 696 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

DPD is nothing like enlightenment.  People with DPD have limited, reduced or nonexistent control over their negative thoughts, bad feelings and fears.  Enlightened people are able to control all of these, but may also experience detachment from their physical body as the "spirit" becomes liberated from the constraints of flesh.

That's the key difference as far as enlightenment vs. non-enlightenment - non-identification with the contents of the mind.  DPD is strongly identifying with all the negative or scary contents of the mind.

#5 Pyrite

Pyrite

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:36 PM

DP it's self is not the enlightenment; DP is the signal that something is seriously wrong in your life and that you need to repair and better yourself. that's where the enlightenment comes in, when you've moved past and fixed whatever those issues were.

#6 Linguos

Linguos

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:14 AM

The dark night of Buddhism, in my understanding, refers to the cycle of jhanas, being the 3rd of 4. These are broken down into 16 nyanas that must be progressively attained by some method, for example vipassana. After attaining the 2nd jhana, or especially after the completion of the first path, stream entry, an individual tends to cycle through jhanas in non-meditative states 24/7. However, getting stuck in the 3rd is typical. At that point one cycles from the first nyana up to the highest one attained all day, meaning they're stuck in the dark night, or the dissolution of the self. It's different than depersonalization, although some theorize that enlightenment is similar to depersonalization without the presence of anxiety. That being said, there are two main ideas of enlightenment in Buddhism itself. The other being hyper-present and aware of the ever present, unchanging witness behind the eyes. This one involves no jhanas, and reminds me of a pure consciousness experience. Not that that has bearing on the OP.

If you're interested in experimenting with this read Daniel Ingram's free ebook.

#7 Jurgen

Jurgen

Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 923 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:20 AM

Buddhism tossed aside for a moment,

Let's get something straight here

I am not a sage. I am not a mystic. Although I am promoting these ideas because I think it could benefit others as it has benefitted me, you need to take some things with a grain of salt.

If you do not agree with anything I am saying, please don't feel discouraged. DP does not have to be about "enlightenment", "emptiness", "non-duality", or any of these things I am telling you about.

I am not trying to tell you that this is the only method of recovering set in stone. It's an interesting way to recover, indeed, but the way people recover varies on their own subjective experiences with DP. It could be as simple as using common sense that might lead you to recovery.

Spiritual talks can get a little messy.

I am not trying to give anyone false information that may form disarray in your life.

#8 MissySS1

MissySS1

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

I completely agree with this...

#9 Haumea

Haumea

• DPSH Members
  • 696 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:36 AM

LesMiserables,

Actually with Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy they are pretty much acknowledging that the spiritual path (or at least spiritual techniques) are the way out of neurosis. 

But the key issue is...who's controlling whom? Are your thoughts controlling you, or are you controlling your thoughts? ;)

#10 Jurgen

Jurgen

Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 923 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:40 AM

LesMiserables,

Actually with Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy they are pretty much acknowledging that the spiritual path (or at least spiritual techniques) are the way out of neurosis. 

But the key issue is...who's controlling whom? Are your thoughts controlling you, or are you controlling your thoughts? ;)

You are the thoughts and then you become the silence. You are awareness behind awareness, like a thousand mirrors.

#11 Linguos

Linguos

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:48 AM

I've been thinking a lot lately how ironic it is that normal people seek the equanimity of enlightenment, while the DP'ed hope the same methods make them normal. You never know what you already have till it's gone.

#12 marry1985

marry1985

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

One could perceive dp as enlightenment if it helps. But as long as dp is associated with depression and a sort of fucked life (I am talking about me here), unfortunately there s no enlightmenment I can see. I think this approach can be usefull to those who can accept dp in their life. I still can t belive this is happening to me and I do hope I will have my personality back, and my memories, and my feelings. Hm, so many hopes right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users