Depersonalization and Meditation - Page 2 - Spirituality Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Depersonalization and Meditation

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#13 Pablo

Pablo

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1654 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

Nihilism is one of the potential dangers of meditation, which is why you need to follow the Middle Way and do other practices like generating compassion and doing charity to avoid "falling into the pit of the void"

For someone with DP you are better off doing something like Tai Chi or standing meditation (Zhan Zhuang) as it will bring your awareness more into your body where your emotions are located

#14 Pablo

Pablo

• DPSH Members
  • 1654 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:03 AM

But coming back to the original post by Native I think it makes a good point about our minds perception of the events which happen to us, it is our thinking and beliefs about things which causes most of our persistant suffering rather than the actual events of our lives. Meditation can help challenge that thinking but there are other safer methods like the work of Byron Katie.

#15 steelydan

steelydan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

So lets get this straight. I've heard about and experienced increased DP/DR during mediatation but I've also heard about the positive effects of meditation in terms of its healing potential, specifically towards stress induced conditions like DP/DR. So is meditation good or bad? Worthwhile or potentially just another contributor to DP/DR. Need to get to the crux of the issue here

#16 sunyata samsara

sunyata samsara

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:09 AM

That's not really meditation in it's truest form. That sounds like projection, which isn't meditation.

Though meditation may have a ton of different meanings, true meditation is self-inquiry. Real meditation, as was described by the great sages like Ramana Maharshi, was discovering the root of the 'I' thought. Turns out it vanishes when you look enough. Not good.

I am rarely confident about anything, but one thing that I will say is that meditation can cause terrible side effects. People can use it as a crutch to prevent dealing with emotional pain and there are thousands of people out there doing just that.

Real meditation is almost nihilistic and is not 'beneficial' in the egoic sense. It is NOT, (contrary to what people may believe), a self-improvement tool.

Just be careful.

I agree true meditation is self inquiry aka Jnana Yoga. Can meditation cause terrible side effects... yes lulz. I disagree that meditation is bad though, depersonalization is part of the process. I originally experienced EXTREME DP/DR from meditating.

#17 Guest_Vanguard_*

Guest_Vanguard_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:10 AM

IMO dr/dp [not simply existential] does not go well with meditation. I believe breathing exercises will help. Trying to get on a higher plane is a mistake because you can't even make total sense of the plane you are on.

#18 Midnight

Midnight

• DPSH Members
  • 1214 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

I agree true meditation is self inquiry aka Jnana Yoga. Can meditation cause terrible side effects... yes lulz. I disagree that meditation is bad though, depersonalization is part of the process. I originally experienced EXTREME DP/DR from meditating.

What 'process' is it part of?

I meditated, I became depersonalized, 2 YEARS AGO.... that's not a 'process' because nothing has changed.....

#19 Midnight

Midnight

• DPSH Members
  • 1214 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

what makes you belive that? just out of curiosity...

From what I've seen on this forum among others, it appears that many people think of meditation as merely putting attention onto your breathing - in a very very very basic form, this is what it is, but real meditation is not a self-help technique or self-improvement exercise, it's a removal of self entirely. You see, real meditation means discovering the nature of oneself as the observer of phenomena, that one is formless consciousness at the root. It's not about 'feeling better' - which is what 99% of people think meditation is.

Read some of the stories of Ramana Maharshi for instance among other gurus. They experienced something called samadhi which is an altered state of consciousness. These states of meditation were so deep that they felt like they had no body. There are stories of sages who died because of this, they just didn't breathe anymore because they went 'beyond the body' so to speak.

People experience complete personality changes and complete transformations, sometimes forgetting their own names and taking new ones, all through meditation.

And people REALLY think that it can be good for someone who ALREADY feels detached? Your stupider than you think if you believe so.

#20 Guest_Vanguard_*

Guest_Vanguard_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

There is a big difference between losing your ego, and dissociation.
You have to start with yourself "in your body" first before you want to venture any farther.
Hence, meditation with dr/dp has a whole different goal. And is somewhat ineffective for seeking out higher intrinsic levels.

#21 Guest_Wainilync_*

Guest_Wainilync_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

To grangerize this every so often old-fashioned, of course,
weary a lot. I can tell on the details
group ambient-okklyuzhion as a substitute for of declaration
parts in AR settings: in the new vreya makserov
soon be adept to pay. There are quiescent leading such
niceties as intimation parameters (faint shade faster
Areal-shade), fixed of some objects from the shadows and GI,
in your if it should happen, it blinds. And so on.new forumOf the existent shortcomings of today's AR I can in private note and the residuum of the unyielding bandit nineties - and unadulterated antialyasing naplevatelstvo German authors to optimize recollection performance. And out of pocket cart of color and reflections in the GI. ¶
would you rather games.
Very simple game where you need to throw a ball of paper on the bin. The direction arrow keeps swinging on both directions, and there is always a bit of lateral wind to increase the challenge. The objective is to hit the bin as many times in a row as possible

Posted Image

harmonize to facebook look pushy to each....

#22 Guest_Wainilync_*

Guest_Wainilync_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

To adorn this every so often old-fashioned, of speed,
used up a lot. I can tell on the details
group ambient-okklyuzhion as a substitute for of pronouncement
parts in AR settings: in the new vreya makserov
shortly be able to pay. There are still leading such
niceties as comrade parameters (soft shade faster
Areal-shade), fixed of some objects from the shadows and GI,
in your case, it blinds. And so on.new forumOf the real shortcomings of modern AR I can personally note and the remainder of the deaf bandit nineties - and absolute antialyasing naplevatelstvo German authors to optimize recollection performance. And penniless change of color and reflections in the GI. ¶
jeux mobiles gratuits
An archery game where there is no target. Instead, you get to shoot your arrows directly at another opponent! It can be played both against the computer and against another human player (each one taking a turn).

Posted Image

agree to facebook look accelerate to each....

#23 JJ70

JJ70

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

1) meditation can cause depersonalization and derealization;

As someone who has recovered from chronic DP/DR (for a long time now) and has worked with and supported others for over a decade, I can say that meditation is a fairly common trigger for DP/DR.

3) there need not be any significant anxiety or impairment in social or occupational functioning as a result of depersonalization;

When DP/DR is chronic to the extreme there are no feelings of anxiety. However in personal experience and in every other case I have met - "or impairment in social or occupational functioning as a result of depersonalization;" this bit is not entirely true, no impairment in social or occupational functioning would tend to be only something observed by others; the chronic DP/DR sufferer is going through hell which does affect their functioning in these areas; although it might not be obvious to observers. 

4) a depersonalized state can become an apparently permanent mode of functioning;

i dont like number 4.

I've never known anybody who has never recovered, although this statement is almost certainly true. I have also known people who have suffered for very long periods of time.

However DP/DR; although tough and horrendous, is very beatable. Try not to dwell on it!

#24 peanut butter

peanut butter

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Why does your idea of recovery sound more like a coping strategy?
You sure that the recovered ones haven't just forgotten how was it to live normally and now consider DP to be normal?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users