Breaking the cycle? - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Breaking the cycle?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hoopesy

Hoopesy

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationElkton, MD

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:09 PM

Hey everyone. I'm actually just in the process of getting over a day of a couple panic attacks. I know this is a common thing amongst anyone with DP, but it seems to me that I'm constantly caught in this cycle of feeling fine for a couple days > an event triggering a hopeless and depressing thought > anxiety building over these thoughts > panic attack > use coping mechanisms like breathing, stopping and replacing the thoughts, seeing family or a friend, etc. > come down from a panic state but still feel depressed > eventually forget about it through distraction or sleep. Then it repeats. over and over again. My depression causes anxiety but my anxiety causes depression. I've learned to handle the panic and come down but it takes awhile to just get over it. How do you guys deal with this problem? How do you stop the depressive thoughts from becoming panic in the first place? I've -finally!- got an appointment to see a therapist this coming Wednesday. I'm excited to finally talk to someone about all of this especially after today's events. Just curious on how anyone with a similar issue copes. Thanks.

#2 Shapiro

Shapiro

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:41 AM

That’s great you’ve got an appointment! You mentioned you replace the thoughts? I had panic disorder and agoraphobia in my early years of dp. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy worked for me to get rid of them. When you replace the thought, you’re not following it through, analyzing it and dissolving it. Without “proving” the thought is inaccurate its left room to resurface. I thought of it like telling myself “there is no monster in the closet” versus actually looking the closet to prove there is no monster. It’s tricky stuff to do alone. It took me an additional 6 years to find a doctor that could link the CBT to the dp. Try not to get discouraged. A professional will help you to make sense of it all. I genuinely wish you the best. Please, keep us posted on how your appointment goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users