I'm finally cured - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

I'm finally cured

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 mattv30

mattv30

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

Ok, I've come on this site a few times here and there since I developed DP last June. I can say that I am finally rid of this awful CONDITION. I'm not going to write a book to try to make money or explain to you guys what DP is because you've probably done as much research as I have over the subject. All I am going to tell you is how I got through it and what worked for me.

-First of all, I always see this topics on here of what is this symptom? am I going crazy? etc. You are not and continuing to pound your already tired mind with pointless questions worsens DP and sets you off on an anxiety merry-go-round. Realize it for what it is, anxiety and accept it and allow the stupid thoughts to come, they can't hurt you and you must understand why you are having them in the first place. Mostly, it's just adrenalin, and when that hits, all kinds of crazy thoughts appear in the mind.

-You have to, and I mean, have to, change your negative thought-habits, that was the first key for me. DP can make you believe a lot of nonsense that isn't true, then you investigate, and almost convince yourself, or actually do convince yourself of whatever you thought up. Now, I'm sure I will get negative comments like how your dp/dr is different then mine and how you think you won't recover, but that is the whole point. You have to retrain your mind into believing you will recover, because you can. It isn't particularly easy, but it is possible, because all DP is is your body protecting you, and once you stop the obsessing and fearing it, it goes away. Which brings me to my next point.

-If you wanna feel normal again, you are going to have to get back out to normal living. If you can't hold a job because of your Dp right now, that's fine, but take small steps to re-engage with the world. All those existential questions and feeling unreal will subside once you integrate back into living again. Staying at home on the computer, watching tv, isolating yourself will do absolutely nothing but make it worse. At first, I started reconnecting with old friends and couldn't even hold a conversation with them because my DP was so bad, it was like I was sitting inside my head and I would start to panic because I feared that I would always be like this and get depressed because of it. Well, I decided I was going to keep socializing anyways, and after awhile, I could hold conversations and laugh without of being aware of my laughing and my own words coming out of my mouth. You see, you have to be consistent and keep doing it. Eventually, my time was spent away from the house most of the day almost everyday because I had plans and I looked forward to them. I developed an attitude of "so what?" towards my DP and it began to subside, slowly. Dp makes you think you can't do this or do that, but it's all false, every bit of it. I then began to get clarity on my condition and saw that I will most definitely recover from this and am not going to be bluffed by it anymore. It took a little while, but eventually it went away completely. I stopped focusing on it and paying attention to it.

-Distraction helped for me, but I don't believe it is the one true way to recover. I could distract myself for hours, but always start thinking about it again which sent me on that vicious cycle. I believe it's a combination of distraction, understanding dp, and doing normal things to get out of it. I knew I was the same person underneath, I just had to bring it out.

Also, DP is not progressive, I mean it can get worse and you can feel more detached, but it does not lead to anything else, period. And yes, you can recover from it, I've talked to a lot of people that have already, and none of them were actually on this website. You have to learn to start having faith in yourself and stop looking for that magical cure, it does not exist. I have one life to live, and i'll be damned if it's gonna be spent living it this way. Anyone on this site can recover, I truly believe that. Hope this helps someone.

#2 kate_edwin

kate_edwin

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 2071 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:09 PM

Congrats, you got the short term version

#3 opie37060

opie37060

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:36 AM

Did you just have the thoughts and feeling of not being real,attached, etc. Just wondering because with my dp I have crazy messed up vision and tons of memory, concentration, and a few other problems that I got as soon as this started. Had this for 2 years now and have socialized and gotten out alot, and can forget about this problem for awhile but the vision and memory problems have not gotten better. Just wondering if you had those issues as well.

#4 mattv30

mattv30

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:43 AM

Hey, didn't have vision problems, but did have terrible memory problems, that was one of the worst symptoms for me and the scariest. Too be honest, and I also talked with other individuals that recovered from this as well, the memory came back when I didn't test it or focus on it. I would test my memory all the time, like what did I do yesterday? and try to think in as much detail to what conversations I had and what I did and all that stuff. Well, I realized that even before DP I couldn't remember exactly every single moment of the day or week before, but I was still testing it anyways. I could remember the conversations, but not exactly what the other person said, just the gist of it. I was forcing my brain to work to hard until my memories became disconnected, and I could only remember half of them. The turning point, for the memory, for me was I met an old friend I hadn't talked to in years, and we started talking about the past, and that whole time I could recall in detail things from years ago, weeks ago, etc. Afterwards I realized that if I just left my memory alone it would come back naturally. And, to me, that has been the big key, things came back slowly, but naturally because I left it alone and stopped testing myself and getting scared. I just told myself that it was a very tired mind and I needed to leave it alone. I'm glad you're getting out and socializing, that was also the biggest turning point for me because I had moments of being completely me again and then I knew that I could recover and I wouldn't be like this forever. Did you ever have those moments as well?

#5 mattv30

mattv30

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:50 AM

OH, and I also had the problem of thinking clearly and felt as though my mind didn't belong to me anymore. Other symptoms were feeling like an automaton, if I spelled that right, and didn't have DR symptoms much, just felt like I had totally lost myself and had no clue who I was anymore. But believe me, the memory does come back, you just have to not test yourself with it, if you're doing that, and don't obsess about it. Because I made it a habit, and knew it, I knew that my attention would be on me for awhile while recovering and I allowed it to be there without having to figure it all out, this gave my mind a rest and I gradually regained myself in layers, I didn't come back all at once. Now, it's kinda hard to remember certain aspects of DP, it's weird. It's kinda like that period of my life is a total blur to me. The key for me was to allow myself to feel whatever i'm feeling and think whatever I think while moving on with my life with the knowledge that I would recover and not too be scared of it. After awhile, it became kinda fun. It was like, oh it's you again, i'm not scared of you anymore do your worst sit beside me if you like, but i'm not paying you attention. It went from a 200 pound gorilla sitting on my back to a little monkey jumping up and down wanting me to notice it.

#6 Quarter Pounder

Quarter Pounder

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:35 AM

Haha, exactly. Let's be honest here, the guy didn't recover because he did all that stuff (nothing new by the way, it's the same post every time) but because his brain alone recovered.
If your brain doesn't want to recover, you can't do much about it... For those who had this >2 years, don't fool yourselves with this "self-help" guides, you're fucked.

#7 brianjones

brianjones

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 100 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:09 AM

What if existence is the problem? Why is this so irrational? Isn't the world completely meaningless? What if we are all hopelessly alone? Are we not nothing? What about those people in the holocaust, all those six million? Weren't there lives completely meaningless, now that they are dust. Isn't identity some arbitrary construct?

How can you solve these questions, for me, through language? Not drugs. Not exersize. Not distraction. Not yoga. Not meditation. Language. That's what I want.

This is where my problem is. I'm not crazy, I'm not irrational. I'm a human being, and I have feelings. There might be chemicals causing all these things, but when I depersonalized I didn't think 'oh wow. hey. my brain chemistry has just changed.. its fine, it will just be ephemeral'. That is not how I experienced it. I am not indifferent. I care that I'm here. I care every moment that I'm stuck on this planet. I care that I'm nothing. This bothers me. And no one will tell me otherwise, because frankly, all these things are true and I've lived with them all my life.

But its ok. I honestly believe, for those of us, who don't have the visual or auditory disturbances, if this is purely existential, than we need time and perseverance.

Plato said that when one leaves the cave into the light, its a horrifying, painful process, it is filled with anxiety and angst and anguish and despair and all the horrible things that humans experience. But its a movement, a transition to somewhere else, a shifting or re-orientating of the soul. I'm not talking about 'enlightenment' or find the 'truth' or anything like that. I'm just saying that we need time to be comfortable with existence again, re-orientating our soul or being takes time. Adjustment is a powerful word here. We have to adjust to this type of knowledge and learn to deal with it. For me, I'm finding out a way to dwell in the world. I'm find a way to re-orientate myself with the world in a meaningful way.

That doesn't imply a cure, but I'm making the point that for some of us here, this experience has brought up some unavoidable questions, which will not disappear, because as far as I'm concerned, they are valid and rational and fine and are devastating but at the same time relieving.

But I'm happy to read that someone is cured. Good luck !

#8 Fluke93

Fluke93

• DPSH Members
  • 854 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:48 AM

Sorry but your attitude stinks.

#9 seeingisbelieving123

seeingisbelieving123

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

Great post, thanks for sharing!! The "so what" attitude will definitely get you over some major hurdles with DP..it really is what you need to start believing in order for your brain to break out of the loop. I went through gradual shifts with my DP in a similar way....I even wore sunglasses out in public for a while ( I felt like a major dork shopping at the market with sunglasses on), but at some point I didn't care...and it worked....I took off my sunglasses at some point...and whatever changes I perceived that previously paralyzed me either I got used to them or they faded away.
Its the small steps you need to take to break out of it...I was so acutely aware of every little change in my perception of the world its all I could think about and focus on. I started to do other things....to distract my brain..and "unlearn" the obsessive habit I had over it.
Your mind will get stronger..and your body will follow...and when you start to break out of it, you keep moving forward..and never look back.
My guess is that people who have DP operate on a high sympathetic nervous system response....the mind body connection is something you need to understand in order to overcome it.

#10 rob

rob

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

Haha, exactly. Let's be honest here, the guy didn't recover because he did all that stuff (nothing new by the way, it's the same post every time) but because his brain alone recovered.
If your brain doesn't want to recover, you can't do much about it... For those who had this >2 years, don't fool yourselves with this "self-help" guides, you're fucked.

40 years down the line and having lived the distracted life to the power of n, I believe that Kate Edwin and Quarter Pounder are bang on the money.

I'm glad that Matt is cured but I honestly don't believe that we (whatever "we" are)have much, if any, control over our unconscious minds however positive we may be in our thoughts .... we are given the illusion of self-hood and autonomy only if and for so long as our experiences do not compromise the security of the unconscious mind/spirit .. after all, none of asked to be given this crap, it just happened ... and it sure as hell is not for ourbenefit

#11 mattv30

mattv30

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:57 PM

That's why I never got on this website, because 99% of it is negative and self-defeating crap. Oh, and quarterpounder, I did do all those things that helped me recover. For months I laid in bed and became agoraphobic and didn't even leave the house. It wasn't until I understood the nature of DP and started going out and living my life that things finally shifted for me. I engaged with the real world and over time forgot about DP and the nonsense in my head, because I knew it was nonsense! I had existential thoughts, but before I had DP they never bothered me, DP made me vulnerable to those thoughts and I became terrified of them, but they are just thoughts and I started to think more outwardly. Geez, I come on here to try to provide hope and get mostly negative feedback. That's why most of you will stay stuck in this cycle because you don't believe you will get better. I decided to not wallow in others misery by visiting this forum also, I talked with other's that were recovering and found a way out and got positive reassurance. It takes a lot of confidence and courage to recover, but it can be done. It's not gonna happen by just waiting for the day to come when you are finally cured, you have to take action. The obsessing and worrying just prolongs it. Anyways, hope you guys find the help that you need.

#12 Pablo

Pablo

• DPSH Members
  • 1654 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:07 PM

That's why I never got on this website, because 99% of it is negative and self-defeating crap.

Yeah but the thing is those negative people say they have no emotions but in reality they are angry, you can tell in the way they post they are very angry, but they just don't realise it or admit it and keep talking about having no emotions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users