Can a psychologist do this? - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Can a psychologist do this?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MobiusX

MobiusX

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 359 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:01 AM

A clinical psychologist who specializes in dissociative disorders told me that she can choose which clients to see. She told me that it's her personal choice NOT to see clients who got DP/DR from drugs.

#2 kate_edwin

kate_edwin

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 2071 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:02 PM

If it's a private practice I beleive she has every right to choose who she sees. Only time someone has to give you medical care is in an emergency. She also may not have experience in working with addiction or drugs, in that case it woul be her respocibility to refuse cases she's not competent to treat

#3 Soul Seeker

Soul Seeker

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:23 PM

That's completely legal in a private practice.

#4 Quarter Pounder

Quarter Pounder

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:53 PM

Why do you care so much about psychologists/pyschiatrists and medics in general? Sorry to say, but they're normal people, not geniouses. Yeah, sure, they studied for 5 years in college but probably mostly thinking about getting drunk or laid. If there's any help or solution for this problem certainly they don't have it. I'm almost certain that anybody in this site (who actually suffers from this thing) knows way more about it than any doctor out there. Most of them don't even know this illness even exists or they misdiagnose it as depression.

It's not bad that you want to get better, that's great, but I think that approach will lead you nowhere.

Good luck in any case...

#5 kate_edwin

kate_edwin

• DPSH Members
  • 2071 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:35 PM

there are docs who specialize in this, i wouldnt go so far as to say *none* of them know more then we do........and whats wrong with someone asking questions about policies.....

#6 Pablo

Pablo

• DPSH Members
  • 1654 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

Why do you care so much about psychologists/pyschiatrists and medics in general? Sorry to say, but they're normal people, not geniouses. Yeah, sure, they studied for 5 years in college but probably mostly thinking about getting drunk or laid. If there's any help or solution for this problem certainly they don't have it. I'm almost certain that anybody in this site (who actually suffers from this thing) knows way more about it than any doctor out there. Most of them don't even know this illness even exists or they misdiagnose it as depression.

It's not bad that you want to get better, that's great, but I think that approach will lead you nowhere.

Good luck in any case...

That's true, I went to see a psychologist who had studied for many years and had a number of different degrees, master degrees and a whole load of letters after their name and it turned out that their main method of treatment after all that study was CBT, which I had already taught myself in a few hours by reading a few books from the library, so I wouldn't expect much from psychologists.

#7 gill

gill

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:12 PM

I find a doctor can offer insights. But not an ultimate solution since as soon as I leave the office, of course, my problems are still mine to deal with. It's more of a process of learning about yourself and others.

#8 rightwrong99

rightwrong99

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:17 PM

That's true, I went to see a psychologist who had studied for many years and had a number of different degrees, master degrees and a whole load of letters after their name and it turned out that their main method of treatment after all that study was CBT, which I had already taught myself in a few hours by reading a few books from the library, so I wouldn't expect much from psychologists.

lmao. ohhh cbt. seems pointless to me when i dont feel connected to any of my thoughts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users