ECT - I'm thinking of trying electro-convulsive therapy - Page 2 - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

ECT - I'm thinking of trying electro-convulsive therapy

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#13 kate_edwin

kate_edwin

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 2071 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

it's not barbaric, it's really no more dangerous then long term meds, when used for bipolar or depression. they knock you out, there are no convulsions....but it's simply contra-indicated for dissociative disorders

#14 Pablo

Pablo

• DPSH Members
  • 1654 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:15 PM

it's not barbaric, it's really no more dangerous then long term meds, when used for bipolar or depression. they knock you out, there are no convulsions....but it's simply contra-indicated for dissociative disorders

I have seen a few websites about it with case studies of damaged memory and worse http://www.antipsychiatry.org/ect.htm , maybe it is a different process these days though I don't know.

#15 Quifouett

Quifouett

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:33 PM

I would rather die or be a sedated zombie than doing ect or electrode in the brain

#16 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:37 PM

I would rather die or be a sedated zombie than doing ect or electrode in the brain

ECT saves lives and is safer than many medications.

#17 kate_edwin

kate_edwin

• DPSH Members
  • 2071 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:39 PM

yeah......i wouldnt trust the anti-things websites....that's like getting your info about eating disorders from a pro ed site.... they're too extreme. if you want current info on it ask your psychiatrist, but seriously would stay away from it, my psychologist has been treating dissociation for......who knows how long, teaches other people how, he's never seen ect help it and has seen people come back to him screwed up afterward

#18 Quifouett

Quifouett

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:47 PM

ECT saves lives and is safer than many medications.

Why they use it in last resort then?

#19 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

Because it is very controversial and many people are afraid of it. It's also generally not intended for long term, maintenance use, though there are people who get maintenance treatments. But it does not cause diabetes, weight gain, tardive dyskinesia, permanent tics or involuntary muscle movements, or any of a host of potential side effects that some medications do. Yes, it can cause memory loss, but that is usually temporary and is generally mild with unilateral treatments (one side of the brain). In bilateral treatments, the risk of memory loss increases, but they don't normally start out with those. ECT is intended for severe, treatment refractory depression or bipolar disorder and is used in both the depressive or manic phases. Having suffered from severe bipolar depression, I would rather try a course of ECT than remain in a psychotic or almost-catatonic state. I can not take many of the antidepressants because they make me (and many other bipolars) manic, so my options at that point are limited. That is why, given a choice between remaining in a severe, life-threatening depressive episode, or risking a dissociative episode (which for me can last many weeks or months), I will risk the dissociation. But only after I have tried other methods that would be more conducive to long-term stability.

#20 Lost-in-Space

Lost-in-Space

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 34 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:38 PM

I had 45 ECTs years ago to treat my DP. It was worthless and permanently wrecked my memory. There is an excellant book on ECT by someone who received it. I would read this book if you want to know the truth about ECT "therapy".
The book is "Doctors of Deception.....What they don't want you to know about shock treatment" by Linda Andre.

#21 forestx5

forestx5

• DPSH Members
  • 1250 posts
  • Locationcentral virginia blue ridge mountains

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

Because the real $ is in pharmaceuticals. And, big pharm is more than willing to perpetuate the "Cuckoo's Nest" perception of ECT.
I know several people who will tell you that ECT saved their lives. I tend to believe the science that says ECT is the safest and most effective
form of treatment for "real" depression and bipolar illness. It is also effective in the treatment of other psychiatric illness.
Why should the health care system offer it as a first line of treatment, when pharmacology is so lucrative and rewarding?
Go to medical school, forget medicine and practice health care under the advice of big pharm. That is health care today. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users