Face it... we're schizophrenic - Page 3 - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Face it... we're schizophrenic

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#25 Jayden

Jayden

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1165 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:27 PM

Well I have been scared since this last post and scared again not gonna lie lol

#26 Quifouett

Quifouett

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:28 PM

SZ is just a fuckin label just like DP, not all SZ are retarded freaks... SZ/DP is not a death sentence, it's just a mental state you have to cope with and adapt to. Still not saying your SZ lol Don't forget it's just a label a bunch of human put on a bunch of symptoms. And their is degrees of severity in mental illness just like in cancer or whatever.

#27 PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:42 PM

hmmm, sounds like a bleak appraisal of the situation. Well not bleak, cuz we arepretty screwed. Although I understand what you mean.

Perhaps, we are just highly functional skitzophrenic individuals. Maybe. Although schizophrenia is characterized by a lot of symptoms we do not have... the positive ones (ergh.. whatever the opposite of the negative symptoms are)... and those experiences make a large part of the symptomology.

Regardless, i'm gonna start trying a shiiiiit ton of drugs to solve this. All my chips are in my belief that this is neurological.

#28 PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:45 PM

And JD.. who cares if you become / are schizophrenic. You have DP dude. This shit is just as bad. No need to worry about schizophrenia, something shitty has already happened to you - worry about that.

#29 Quifouett

Quifouett

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:56 PM

It's hard to tell cause my DP really started overnight but SZ were not SZ until the night they heard voices...

But I feel like DP is mainly a perception thing. Like if we were living a certain way and suddently this way made no sense anymore and we can't find a new way for our life.

Yeah that sound like the basic of DP...

#30 Jayden

Jayden

• DPSH Members
  • 1165 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:15 AM

Ahhhh I don't like this fear...FUCK!

#31 flat

flat

• DPSH Members
  • 784 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:28 AM

It's normal to worry about the unknown but that's all it is...an unknown. There are way too many OTHER possibilities that can enter the picture. I understand that it is "educational" to look at all the possibilities (even if they are a bit disturbing) but just looking at a "puzzle" doesn't get it solved. So instead of focusing on what it may or may not be, concentrate on getting over it. New meds, supplements or relaxation techniques etc. Lots of times dp has cleared up by itself too.

#32 Quifouett

Quifouett

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:47 AM

Well said.

#33 rob

rob

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:29 AM

I mean, we're experiencing all the "negative" symptoms of schizophrenia-- "blunted affect (lack or decline in emotional response), alogia (lack or decline in speech), and avolition (lack or decline in motivation)"... the only thing is that we're socially aware enough to recognize our experience isn't normal, which keeps us from acting it out. This social awareness, inhibiting us from expressing the chaos and impoverishment of our inner worlds, tricks other people into thinking we're normal, but also keeps us stuck in an endless loop of private suffering as even we're not able to discover what's truly wrong with us. I'm starting to think that it might be better to act out... lol, if only that were possible without being misinterpreted and minimalized by blind institutional forces.

Two things:

First - whatever name is attributed to our condition does not affect in any way the nature or extent of the symptoms that we suffer; whether it's called "depersonalisation", "schizophrenia" or "a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic" makes no difference. By the same token, my condition is not going to disappear just because I chose to describe myself as "healthy" - otherwise we'd have all done that long ago and recovered.

Second - BP does have a point. Our perceptions and experiences are skewed ... we ARE a bit crazy - but our rational selves realise this and intervene by testing and rejecting our perceptions and experiences as being false. Emotionally, we are terrified of these strange sensations .. we panic and do everything we can to avoid these distressing sensations. Ironically, it is our fear of these sensations and our fear of engaging with them that makes our condition endure.

When BP says that we should try acting out our depersonalisation, he/she is absolutely right .. in the sense that what we all ARE is a people whose perception has become distorted. It follows that if we deny ourselves these distressing experiences, we are, by implication, denying our own existence.

So, instead of fleeing from your DP, try to shed your fear of the DP symptoms and really try hard to explore and understand them in the way that you might explore something fascinating like, say, a work of art.

Ironically, it is only by allowing yourself to fully explore and become totally immersed in your condition that you can begin to recognise and experience your true self and the world around you.

#34 Fluke93

Fluke93

• DPSH Members
  • 854 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:15 AM

Ahhhh I don't like this fear...FUCK!

Honestly man try not to think about it. We've all been there, just dont go around googling random things and stay off doudgy websites because you'll just scare the life out of yourself. You just got to believe that however fucked up your brain feels and how ever much you feel out of touch you're in touch. Have you got anything to calm you down like a diazapam? I wouldn't recomend it but it may take the edge off. Honestly you'll feel better once you eliminate this fear i promise.

#35 toshibatelly

toshibatelly

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:26 AM

No. We aren't. We are the exact opposite of schizophrenics, they interpret their fantasies as being real and are certain in their convictions; we, on the other hand, interpret reality as being dream like and are far from sure of ourselves. If there is anything which is the opposite of psychosis it is anxiety, hyper-aware vs unaware.

Depersonalization was once seen as a schizophrenia-spectrum disorder, but careful observation of sufferers in longitudinal studies found that psychosis didn't develop and a DP was placed in the category of dissociative disorders.

As for the negative symptoms of schizophrenia, I think they are pretty much non-specific to the disorder; depressed people exhibit most of those signs (anhedonia certainly, flattened affect, alogia due to feelings of pointlessness, sometimes even catatonia), are depressives now schizophrenic too?

#36 baking_pineapple

baking_pineapple

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

Whatever it is SZ/DP/DR, we can't fully appreciate the live we have and it suck. I watched a "reality show" following like 16 SZ living in a supervised house and they seemed to be happier than me. Sometimes I don't know what is worse between SZ and DP since neither never really recover anyway. I keep asking myself if this is all a dream, are my memories just a bunch of illusions, is this all real or it'S all in my head. SZ don't seem to question everything like that. 1 girl in the show wich have asperger even became a fucking teacher for asperger kid... I can't even imagine myself holding a job at walmart. So Dp is way worse than a lot of mental illness IMO.

I hear you. The only thing that's good about calling it schizophrenia is that the scientific community knows a lot more about it than depersonalization. There are actual physical causes that can be hypothesized and treated (e.g., modern research links SZ with a virus, and there coming out with drugs to treat it; there's also a connection b/w SZ and a build up of the byproducts of gluten and dairy, which upon testing, can be controlled for). In other words, it just opens up our options for treatment. Personally, I think I'm about to have a doctor test my blood and urine for traces of the virus implicated in SZ and the build up of gluten/caesin peptides. If something as easy as changing my diet would fix this shit, then I definitely wouldn't want to overlook it. Of course, this all could all just be a fool's errand... but never know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users