Face it... we're schizophrenic - Page 2 - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Face it... we're schizophrenic

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#13 kate_edwin

kate_edwin

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 2071 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:45 PM

[

No this is not schiz. And we do not experience all of the negative symptoms. No one here (who's not dx'd Schiz)! Has cataronia.

#14 _Gottlieb_

_Gottlieb_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:34 PM

Thx for making my fear worse.

#15 noname

noname

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:48 PM

I've had DP for a year and a half. What do you mean we are at the core?

at the core mean its possible some have a schizophrenic like brain, perhaps dp is linked with this, ect...
Its possible mean its not reality, im not scientist.
But whats obvious is that for all of us , we dont devellop scz symptom. I know its 2000 time more easy to say that to do, but you should concentrate more on your heelflip backside 50-50 than your fear and obsession. Im sure it will pass, as it passed for myself.

#16 kate_edwin

kate_edwin

• DPSH Members
  • 2071 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:50 PM

Don't worry Felt like inwas psychotic too,

#17 baking_pineapple

baking_pineapple

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:44 PM

I sought to stir up some controversy with generalizing my statement to everyone on here, admittedly. Probably most of the people on here don't have schizophrenia, but I do think there is a significant minority (probably anywhere in the range from 20-50%) that do. The specific subtypes of schizophrenia I'm referring to are the following:

"Simple schizophrenia: Insidious and progressive development of prominent negative symptoms with no history of psychotic episodes.

Disorganized type: Named hebephrenic schizophrenia in the ICD. Where thought disorder and flat affect are present together.

Residual type: Where positive symptoms are present at a low intensity only."

Personally, I would say I am somwhere between the simple and disorganized type. It takes tremendous will for me to put my thoughts together into a coherent form. Almost everything I say or do feels forced out of me, like another person is saying or doing it. There is no natural form or rhythm binding my conscious person together. Almost everything in my consciousness feels disintegrated and tortured (at least at this moment in time). Do I think I'm eternally doomed because I have such a disease? Hell no; there are many successful people with schizophrenia. Do I think recovery is possible without medication? Absolutely. Will I likely ever tell anyone about this? No; I'm pretty sure they would just hear the label and all would be over... sort of like what happened here.

As for this fear of possibilities, as long as its considered as just what it is, a possibility, a hypothetical with no bearing on actual reality, held at arm's length so it can be better analyzed and understood, then there is no way it can have an effect over you. Try to understand what it means, not what it feels like when you think about it. That's good that you do feel negatively when thinking about it though, as it's evidence your emotions are still connected with your thoughts. Personally, I think about such things just because I want to know what's wrong with me, I wouldn't care if it's a tumor or alien parasite eating my brain, I just want to know what's up plain and simple so I can do something about it or at least stop worrying about what I'm overlooking. Although I do sometimes become terrorfied... just like everyone else.

Agreed, I should probably study psychiatry before making such an easily refuted claim as the one I made. However, I feel like I know enough about human nature from a lifetime of self-study, to be able to claim some things to be true without marshalling scientific evidence.

#18 noname

noname

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:06 PM

bullshit.

1) Simple schizo have the same mark as other, ie subject is often unaware of his illness.
2) Simple shizophrenia often lead to have weird interest, or strange behavior in some way, interpretation mechanism wich sufficiently fail to say subject is somewhat out, even if no hallucination . Simple scz is probably closer to schizotypal PD than what you are. You are searching disorder, I dont understand why, DP is not enough bothersome for you ?

However, I feel like I know enough about human nature from a lifetime of self-study

time to wake up : http://www.wikisocio...Wikisocion_home
you know what you project, so you know only yourself.
other are other, other can be really different than you think.

#19 kate_edwin

kate_edwin

• DPSH Members
  • 2071 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:13 PM

There is absolutly no way even 20% have schiz. It'll be more like 2 or 5%

#20 Jayden

Jayden

• DPSH Members
  • 1165 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

I sought to stir up some controversy with generalizing my statement to everyone on here, admittedly. Probably most of the people on here don't have schizophrenia, but I do think there is a significant minority (probably anywhere in the range from 20-50%) that do. The specific subtypes of schizophrenia I'm referring to are the following:

"Simple schizophrenia: Insidious and progressive development of prominent negative symptoms with no history of psychotic episodes.

Disorganized type: Named hebephrenic schizophrenia in the ICD. Where thought disorder and flat affect are present together.

Residual type: Where positive symptoms are present at a low intensity only."

Personally, I would say I am somwhere between the simple and disorganized type. It takes tremendous will for me to put my thoughts together into a coherent form. Almost everything I say or do feels forced out of me, like another person is saying or doing it. There is no natural form or rhythm binding my conscious person together. Almost everything in my consciousness feels disintegrated and tortured (at least at this moment in time). Do I think I'm eternally doomed because I have such a disease? Hell no; there are many successful people with schizophrenia. Do I think recovery is possible without medication? Absolutely. Will I likely ever tell anyone about this? No; I'm pretty sure they would just hear the label and all would be over... sort of like what happened here.

As for this fear of possibilities, as long as its considered as just what it is, a possibility, a hypothetical with no bearing on actual reality, held at arm's length so it can be better analyzed and understood, then there is no way it can have an effect over you. Try to understand what it means, not what it feels like when you think about it. That's good that you do feel negatively when thinking about it though, as it's evidence your emotions are still connected with your thoughts. Personally, I think about such things just because I want to know what's wrong with me, I wouldn't care if it's a tumor or alien parasite eating my brain, I just want to know what's up plain and simple so I can do something about it or at least stop worrying about what I'm overlooking. Although I do sometimes become terrorfied... just like everyone else.

Agreed, I should probably study psychiatry before making such an easily refuted claim as the one I made. However, I feel like I know enough about human nature from a lifetime of self-study, to be able to claim some things to be true without marshalling scientific evidence.

Blank-mind and difficulty with concentration is also a classic symptom of DP and anxiety.

See, you also said 20-50% people probably have SZ here. Where did you get those statistics from? Do I think there is people on here with SZ? yes I do. But I think its different from the people who were completely fine one day and got DP from stress, anxiety, depression. I know DP CAN be a symptom of SZ.

Your gathering information not knowing if its true or even applies to us and just saying "here we go, we have this illness". Your scaring the shit out of people and it doesn't help at all.

If you think your SZ go to a doctor like I did. Another thing, people with SZ don't usually take themselves to a doctor because they don't think theres really anything wrong with them.

Theres this guy who's always came into my work to buy cigarettes. Lately he's been talking to my employee how "there actually related"(and there not). He says hes the soul reaper, he can kill people with his minds and travel the world in his mind, hear peoples thoughts.

That's when you know there might be something wrong.

#21 baking_pineapple

baking_pineapple

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:43 PM

Blank-mind and difficulty with concentration is also a classic symptom of DP and anxiety.

See, you also said 20-50% people probably have SZ here. Where did you get those statistics from? Do I think there is people on here with SZ? yes I do. But I think its different from the people who were completely fine one day and got DP from stress, anxiety, depression. I know DP CAN be a symptom of SZ.

Your gathering information not knowing if its true or even applies to us and just saying "here we go, we have this illness". Your scaring the shit out of people and it doesn't help at all.

If you think your SZ go to a doctor like I did. Another thing, people with SZ don't usually take themselves to a doctor because they don't think theres really anything wrong with them.

Theres this guy who's always came into my work to buy cigarettes. Lately he's been talking to my employee how "there actually related"(and there not). He says hes the soul reaper, he can kill people with his minds and travel the world in his mind, hear peoples thoughts.

That's when you know there might be something wrong.

All I'm saying is that the schizophrenia label is too narrow if it only includes people who are drooling on themselves and making preposterous claims about shit. I'm just venturing to say that what we're experiencing is the same, at its "core", as what more stereotypical schizohprenic people experience. The only thing seperating us is that we're intelligent/educated enough to challenge and refute the retardness that goes on in our brains and replace it with a more rational front. But the basic feeling of being disconnected from humanity, emotionless, blank on the inside--that is, the heart of depersonalization--is the same as it is in schizophrenia.

Just think about what you would be like if you never learned to read or write, to think critically, to restrain your thoughts and your actions (i.e., the hallmark of intelligence)... as long as you're connected with other people, speaking their language, feeling their emotions as easily as you feel your own, "going with the flow", you'd be fine... but as soon as the plug is removed, for whatever reason, and there is neither a social anchor nor a rational voice holding the contents of the mind in check, then prepare for the fantastic accusations of paranoia, the meaningless word salad of hebephrenia, and/or the rigid immobility of catatonia. The only thing we have that "typical" schizophrenics don't is a rational voice, but besides that I see a lot of myself in these people.

#22 Quifouett

Quifouett

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:11 PM

Whatever it is SZ/DP/DR, we can't fully appreciate the live we have and it suck. I watched a "reality show" following like 16 SZ living in a supervised house and they seemed to be happier than me. Sometimes I don't know what is worse between SZ and DP since neither never really recover anyway. I keep asking myself if this is all a dream, are my memories just a bunch of illusions, is this all real or it'S all in my head. SZ don't seem to question everything like that. 1 girl in the show wich have asperger even became a fucking teacher for asperger kid... I can't even imagine myself holding a job at walmart. So Dp is way worse than a lot of mental illness IMO.

#23 Jayden

Jayden

• DPSH Members
  • 1165 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:55 PM

The only thing seperating us is that we're intelligent/educated enough to challenge and refute the retardness that goes on in our brains and replace it with a more rational front. But the basic feeling of being disconnected from humanity, emotionless, blank on the inside--that is, the heart of depersonalization--is the same as it is in schizophrenia.

I have to disagree man. The thing separating us from SZ is that "our reality is INTACT" whereas a person with SZ isn't. That is a HUGE part in being diagnosed with something as simple as anxiety or SZ.

For example, that guy that comes into my work truly believes hes a soul reaper and that he can kill people with his mind. Most of us on here have our reality intact and are rational.

I do understand what your saying though, how we wouldn't be like those cases where we are hallucinating or sitting on a chair all day drooling. But I think in any case of SZ, your reality isn't really intact, your not able to differentiate between whats real and whats not. I do understand when you say you have to put a lot of will and focus to maintain your thoughts or whatever. But if it doesn't take you 2 hours to get dressed I think your ok.

And trust me, I do feel crazy, and its what I fear. But I think I feel crazy simply because of the feelings of DP being in a heightened state of senses.

I first went to my family doctor last summer and told him about I was feeling off, and not right (not knowing what DP was yet). He asked me those questions like, do you hear voices that arent there, are people controlling your thoughts. And im like....ummm no? And he is knowledgeable with DP too. I've seen him quite a few times and each time he says, "you dont sound like your going down that path (being SZ). I then talked to another doctor who said in her exact words, "Not one molecule of my being believes your SZ or developing it", she said she could refer me to a psychiatrist for reassurance and he also said I dont sound like im becoming SZ.

Why do I still fear it then, I dont know. But DP isnt like SZ. One of the doctors said im "too sane". Thats what DP is, such a hyper vigilant, heightened sensed state.

#24 Quifouett

Quifouett

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:20 PM

Some SZ just ear voices and know they are not real and their "visual" reality stay intact.... not to scare you or whatever. I would not care that my reality is not like everyone's reality, as long as i'm not aware of it. Being aware of it make it way worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users