Face it... we're schizophrenic - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Face it... we're schizophrenic

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 baking_pineapple

baking_pineapple

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:25 AM

I mean, we're experiencing all the "negative" symptoms of schizophrenia-- "blunted affect (lack or decline in emotional response), alogia (lack or decline in speech), and avolition (lack or decline in motivation)"... the only thing is that we're socially aware enough to recognize our experience isn't normal, which keeps us from acting it out. This social awareness, inhibiting us from expressing the chaos and impoverishment of our inner worlds, tricks other people into thinking we're normal, but also keeps us stuck in an endless loop of private suffering as even we're not able to discover what's truly wrong with us. I'm starting to think that it might be better to act out... lol, if only that were possible without being misinterpreted and minimalized by blind institutional forces.

#2 jordanL'Estrange

jordanL'Estrange

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Locationaustralia sydney

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:27 AM

no we are definitely not i have a schizophrenic cousin and i am nothing like him at all we are not schizophrenic hahaha

#3 Jayden

Jayden

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1165 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:12 AM

I mean, we're experiencing all the "negative" symptoms of schizophrenia-- "blunted affect (lack or decline in emotional response), alogia (lack or decline in speech), and avolition (lack or decline in motivation)"... the only thing is that we're socially aware enough to recognize our experience isn't normal, which keeps us from acting it out. This social awareness, inhibiting us from expressing the chaos and impoverishment of our inner worlds, tricks other people into thinking we're normal, but also keeps us stuck in an endless loop of private suffering as even we're not able to discover what's truly wrong with us. I'm starting to think that it might be better to act out... lol, if only that were possible without being misinterpreted and minimalized by blind institutional forces.

Thanks a lot asshole, I don't worry about this shit enough as it is everyday...

#4 Jayden

Jayden

• DPSH Members
  • 1165 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:15 AM

I swear to god if we are im going to be very pissed off

#5 Joshu

Joshu

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationCentral Minnesota

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:59 AM

That's like saying that because I have a cough, i have lung cancer.

#6 Guest_Auldie_*

Guest_Auldie_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:10 AM

I knew it!

#7 noname

noname

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:33 AM

Existing similarity dont mean thats the same disorder, and more importantly the same cause (wich is neurological - psy* is bullshit).
The 3 symptom you list are exportable to various depressive, anxious disorder. This is unspecific. Additionnaly, alogia in schizo are really, I mean REALLY more pronounced (I dont think we can speak about alogia into DP).

Anyway it can be interesting to see a study about the correlation beetween schizo and DP in term of family (if there is more DP in family where run schizo). But imo the correlation would be weak.
DP can be see too a form of minor schizo, even if I dont really trust this. Imo its a different disorder, involving different process.

Even if your message is marked by irrelevant rationnalization, you light a really important issue wich other often fail to see clearly, and is poorly discussed in this forum :

This social awareness, inhibiting us from expressing the chaos and impoverishment of our inner worlds, tricks other people into thinking we're normal, but also keeps us stuck in an endless loop of private suffering as even we're not able to discover what's truly wrong with us. I'm starting to think that it might be better to act out... lol, if only that were possible without being misinterpreted and minimalized by blind institutional forces.

Especially the bold part, is perhaps more painfull than DP itself. The need to be "happy" and to have pleasurable experience make often me appear somewhat OK in the eyes of other, but Im too aware that this is just a facade, and this just increase the inner chaos and depression at home.
Too, this lead me to have nihilistic thinking : I begin to have expressively "I dont give a fuck" attitude about social and intimate relation, isolation, ect, because I cant stand the fact I always play a role without being able to see whats inside me (in fact, there is probably nothing now). I feel like a faker, a con artist.
I cant see how the fuck I can find love, when ive nothing interesting to say, nothing real to share, only the vacuum and the lack of meaning of my existence. This is what really suck. I cant have a solution of this issue, mourning my social and intimate life apart. The gap beetween before DP, where I was passionnate, living and now is too extreme, I cant find something positive in this state about this (but there are positive things about my DP in other area, ie I have shaked myself to accomplish what I want to do, tried to stop to ignore or delay my need ect - its funny to notice Im somewhat more healthy than before, now.).

#8 noname

noname

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:37 AM

Thanks a lot asshole, I don't worry about this shit enough as it is everyday...

How long do you suffer from DP ? This SC fear will dissipate, mostly when you will be aware that your case dont follow the typicall scz course (ie no real worsening, hearing voice and other symptom wich never come even if you was sure it will at the DP beginning ^^)...

I swear to god if we are im going to be very pissed off

Its possible we are at the core (if a link beetween DP and scz exist), but the symptom are not more than DP, so there is not additionnal problem than DP itself ! you fear your imagination more than current reality

#9 Fluke93

Fluke93

• DPSH Members
  • 854 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:40 AM

How old are you? Is that what you want is it to scare people on the forum. What a silly silly silly little fucker you really are. Well you've got some attention now fuck off back where you came from you prick

#10 noname

noname

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:50 AM

If you get scared with this type of message I understand you get DP easily. I think the author itself is really scared and have dark thought, thats all, its time to stop worrying at scz when obvious clue and personnal understanding say we dont have it.

SCZ fear often disappear with time in DP. OCD DP induced is different than real OCD (ive get the two, I know what Im speaking about - Ive get real OCD in the past, and thats much more irrationnal than SCZ OCD from DP, wich is more based on actual symptom and fear about it, ie a real and quantifiable thing. This disappear when you get aware that you fear is irrelevant to reality, on contrary to real OCD)

#11 Guest_Le Chat_*

Guest_Le Chat_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:41 AM

That's like saying that because I have a cough, i have lung cancer.

Exactly. And people are reading things willy nilly off the internet and not understanding.

There are individuals ON THIS SITE who HAVE schizophrenia AND DP/DR. Some can have the DP/DR treated and still have schizophrenia.

I am so tired of this.

There are reasons for MEDICAL criteria for illness as well as Psychiatric Criteria. Niether are perfect. Even if you watch the silly program "House, M.D." you would know that he and his team always have a patient who presents with multiple symptoms and they have to eliminate what the illness can't be before they get to what it is.

Also, it is worthless to simply read diagnostic criteria, you need to study psychiatry.
And as someone once said I have one family member with schizophrenia, and another with schizoaffective disorder (sort of bipolar and schizophrenia combined). Before he ended up on the streets my cousin with schizoaffective had no idea what I was talking about re: DP.

Also, my psychiatric resident, M.D., just yesterday mentioned he experiences DP/DR when under stress. But it is only fleeting.

You MUST articulate the symptoms as concisely as possible to a doctor. You must GO to a doctor who has some sense, granted, but if you don't tell the entire story out of being diagnosed with one thing, well, hw in God's name can the doctor get close to a proper diagnosis. Yes, we MUST advocate/research for ourselves. But this misinformation helps no one.

Also, if you aren't diagnosed, the statistics of the prevalence of DPD does not enter the system. I think this is another problem. No one talks about it, so it appears to exist less frequently.

I also have not feared schizophrenia for my entire life -- I fear disappearing completely. This is a perceptual distortion experienced by stroke, migraine, and epilepsy patients ... very common, but I don't think anyone here has had a stroke. Some could have full blown epilepsy, or suffer from migraines, but that STILL doesn't mean any DP/DR you experience in those states means you're having a stroke.

#12 Jayden

Jayden

• DPSH Members
  • 1165 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:06 AM

How long do you suffer from DP ? This SC fear will dissipate, mostly when you will be aware that your case dont follow the typicall scz course (ie no real worsening, hearing voice and other symptom wich never come even if you was sure it will at the DP beginning ^^)...

Its possible we are at the core (if a link beetween DP and scz exist), but the symptom are not more than DP, so there is not additionnal problem than DP itself ! you fear your imagination more than current reality

I've had DP for a year and a half. What do you mean we are at the core?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users