What is DP/DR like for you? - Page 81 - New? Start Here - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

What is DP/DR like for you?

962 replies to this topic

#961 Eric_C

Eric_C

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 02:20 AM

I was diagnosed about 6 months ago now and began medication 5 monthd ago. I have had very small episodes before but around october had a breakdown which caused some severe dp/dr to start that i was in and out of emergency for. I could tell if i was awake or dreaming and nothing felt real. Since medication its gotten better but it still is there constantly

#962 Eric_C

Eric_C

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 02:25 AM

Hi Lexi._.guz. I was wondering what they had exactly diagnosed you with if you don’t mind me asking. I have been dealing with dp for almost 8 months now I have bounced between doctors and therapists. I was wondering how the medication is helping you. And what is the medication specifically for (as in is it for another condition such as depression and anxiety that may be causing the dp). And I was wondering if you think it would be worthwhile to try and pursue trying to get a medication for dp. As I do struggle with anxiety already. It may be worthwhile trying. It’s just been hard to find someone willing to deal with what I have and give me solid answers.

#963 Where

Where

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• Moderators
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 01:29 PM

Hi Lexi._.guz. I was wondering what they had exactly diagnosed you with if you don’t mind me asking. I have been dealing with dp for almost 8 months now I have bounced between doctors and therapists. I was wondering how the medication is helping you. And what is the medication specifically for (as in is it for another condition such as depression and anxiety that may be causing the dp). And I was wondering if you think it would be worthwhile to try and pursue trying to get a medication for dp. As I do struggle with anxiety already. It may be worthwhile trying. It’s just been hard to find someone willing to deal with what I have and give me solid answers.

Hello. DSM and even ICD diagnoses are imprecise. People are diagnosed based on interpretation rather than hard evidence. I've had all sorts of diagnoses, but they didn't change anything except make me anxious or run the risk of causing me to identify with the mythos surrounding them. Recognizing the real problems I had, some of which fell into the categories of mental health disorder symptoms, was helpful. I don't know exactly what caused my DP, but the time I developed DP involved a lot of stress and anxiety, and I feel like a switch has been flipped that I currently can't switch back. Many people think DP is neurologically okay, and that it might actually protect us from stress, but I also take these theories with a grain of salt. It has been proven that people with DP or DR symptoms are less emotionally reactive, which could in theory protect people from stress. There is no medication to reverse DP, but treating any underlying conditions with medicine and lifestyle changes might result in a lot of improvement.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users