So last I MISread, wikipedia said derealization is lifelong.. - Page 3 - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

So last I MISread, wikipedia said derealization is lifelong..

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#25 missjess

missjess

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 2232 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:32 AM

Mayb we shud all have a derealization party for Halloween ? We could all dress up like planets and stars to incorporate the concept of dreaming? Hahahahha

#26 Jurgen

Jurgen

Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 923 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:33 AM

Like Leonardo's wife in Inception.

#27 missjess

missjess

• DPSH Members
  • 2232 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

Lol yeh

#28 missjess

missjess

• DPSH Members
  • 2232 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:48 AM

I've actually been speaking with a homeopath who claims to have helped cure 7 cases of people with chronic derealization, these are a couple of responses I got from him;

"In most cases, derealization is the direct consequence of recreational substances. Rarely it's from emotional issues or stress."

"For your question derealizaon, yes i have helped people having that for one, two and even three decades. By that benchmark 7 years sounds small :) but believe me the period one has got the problem is not any indicator of it's cure or betterment. It depends on various factors"

He basically sent me a huge questionnaire and he is going to get back to me with an approach shortly.

#29 Doberg

Doberg

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

I've actually been speaking with a homeopath who claims to have helped cure 7 cases of people with chronic derealization, these are a couple of responses I got from him;

"In most cases, derealization is the direct consequence of recreational substances. Rarely it's from emotional issues or stress."

"For your question derealizaon, yes i have helped people having that for one, two and even three decades. By that benchmark 7 years sounds small :) but believe me the period one has got the problem is not any indicator of it's cure or betterment. It depends on various factors"

He basically sent me a huge questionnaire and he is going to get back to me with an approach shortly.

Im very curious, you should keep us posted on what happens ;)

#30 seafoamwaves

seafoamwaves

• DPSH Members
  • 720 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

Major bullsh*t. I've actually recovered from DP before. This is my second round

#31 seafoamwaves

seafoamwaves

• DPSH Members
  • 720 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

DP is so common because so many people have anxiety

#32 missjess

missjess

• DPSH Members
  • 2232 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:21 PM

Im very curious, you should keep us posted on what happens ;)

Will do for sure!!

#33 Meticulous

Meticulous

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 362 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

I'm sure more than 26% of the members on here have recovered, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I also read that depersonalization is more rare than schizophrenia somewhere online, so like the first reply said, don't believe everything you read, it'll just lead to more worry which isn't what any of us need right now.

I recovered completely for a week but I let myself get stupid and drink and smoke weed again to test it, and I was back at step 1. It's highly possible to overcome.

#34 Derealized9years

Derealized9years

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:13 AM

I'm going on 10 years now after smoking cannabis for the 3rd time when I was 15. I was given 40mg a day of Ritalin from age 8-14, so maybe this has something to do with it. I seriously doubt derealization is ALWAYS caused by anxiety. I think thats a cop out from the medical community who really mean to say 'we have no idea WHAT the fuck is going on, so uh, just try to take it easy, man' there are many things that can cause derealization including lack of sleep, lack of food, or brain injury, do they mean to tell me its also caused by anxiety then, lol? Sure anxiety can cause derealization but in those cases the derealization comes and goes as the person becomes ANXIOUS or calms down so please don't tell me that for a decade I have been anxious every single second of my existence since 2004. Thats bullshit. There are a number of physiological reasons derealization can be persistant. One could be methylation of DNA, or a persistent up regulation of the kappa opioid receptors in the brain or a down regulation of the mu opioid receptors. It could be that when someone gets really stoned their mu receptor activity is lowered and their kappa receptor activity increased, when this is combined with a traumatic event while being really stoned, like a panic attack, or an emotionally disturbing event, those receptors get locked in that state and think that is the new 'normal' or equilibrium. This can happen in other cases in nature like with Post Finasteride Syndrome where drugs that inhibit the enzyme 5 alpha reductase can cause a permanent down regulation of androgen receptors, causing men with normal testosterone levels to have all the symptoms of hypogonadism, like impotence, sleep disturbances, muscle wasting, et cetera, because the androgen receptors no longer respond to testosterone. So enough with this its just anxiety, if it were just anxiety I'm sure there would have been at least a few seconds in the last 9 1/2 years where I was calm. In fact I'm calm most of the time. More like a zombie. Life can be horrific sometimes. Stay away from medications and drugs. They can ruin you. The only hope i've seen might be several high flood doses of iboga total alkaloid. Apparently it resets the opioid receptors in the brain. Hope to try it.

#35 Derealized9years

Derealized9years

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

I've gone for years where I totally ignored it. I focused on it all the time when it first happened at age 15. I was heartbroken over what happened for 2 years. I just ignore it now. The only reason I'm looking into it again is because I've read recently about kappa opioid antagonists being developed that might cure it, as well as the iboga phenomenon. It would be a miracle if it could go away, but I just moved on and accepted it as an injury I got as a teen and tried to ignore it. I was talking to one person who claimed it had 'gone away' when they ignored  it, only later to tell me, uh actually yea its always there if I pay attention. Has it just magically gone away for you El Hefe when you ignore it?

#36 Thidwick

Thidwick

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationJonesboro, AR

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

yeah that's why so many people get mislead these days.. completely unreliable information on the internet...depersonalization last as long as you make it last..and no it doesn't last forever...it last as long as you pay it attention...the less you give it importance the sooner it starts to cease...

Quoted for truth.

I don't care if someone says that DP/DR is permanent -- my life experience and the experiences of numerous others who have recovered say otherwise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users