So last I MISread, wikipedia said derealization is lifelong.. - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

So last I MISread, wikipedia said derealization is lifelong..

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Healy787

Healy787

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:14 AM

Derealization. Prevalent for entire life. 73% of cases. What do you guys think about that... =/ majorly bummin

#2 Da Vinci

Da Vinci

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:23 AM

"Chronic derealization may be caused by occipital?temporal dysfunction.[3] These symptoms are common in the population, with a lifetime prevalence of up to 74% and between 31 and 66% at the time of a traumatic event." -wikipedia.

Firstly, this "may" lean toward people with a specific type of brain dysfunction. Secondly, where did they get these numbers from? Have they had an over abundance of test subjects who concluded near the end of their life that they had DR for their entire life?

This doesn't add up and I really think it is BS. Anyone who was normal before they got DP/DR can become normal again just the same. Why would it be a life long battle if A. You weren't always like this?

Don't believe everything you read online...

#3 Rusko

Rusko

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:32 AM

Wikipedia is a completely unrealiable source. It's open to anyone to write on, though these statistics MAY be true, without any given reputable medical source, they can't be taken seriously. Derealization/Depersonalization caused by an actual physical neurological problem may be permanent, but Derealization/Depersonalization caused by anxiety is by no means permanent, it just isnt. I strongly recommend you do not use wikipedia as a source for information because it hands out a lot of BS. Derealization/Depersonalization that is caused by anxiety is completely reversable, when the negative anxiety is gone, the DP/DR fades as well, because there is no need for it to be there any longer. Not trying to sound like an ass, but please refrain from posting this type of information on a site where people are suffering from anxiety induced DP/DR, it wont help them any.

#4 sid172

sid172

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:04 AM

Actually if you read the article Wikipedia is citing is says that the lifetime prevalence rate is BETWEEN 26 and 74%. So I wouldn't worry too much, its the last thing we all need.
http://www.springerl...55k540chhq46uh/

#5 Onibla

Onibla

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:55 AM

I was under the impression that 74% lifetime prevalence meant that 74% of people will experience it within their lifetime.
Wikipedia seems to agree that it doesn't mean you'll have it your whole life, just thats the chance of a person getting it at some point in their life.

#6 Gypsy85

Gypsy85

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:05 AM

I don't want to be a bootlicker, but Onibla: You're great!! I love your positive attitude towards this whole stuff.Hope to be able to copy something from you :)

#7 drew-uk

drew-uk

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 177 posts
  • LocationMid Wales - United Kingdom

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:29 PM

" the prevalence of a disease in a statistical population is defined as the total number of cases of the disease in the population at a given time"

Please dont post things like 73% of cases last forever, all we have in the deepest darkest parts of this disorder is hope... Nothing else but hope.

#8 Healy787

Healy787

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:37 PM

Please don't tell me what I can or cannot post. I am on here for the same reasons you are, trying to beat this. I will post what I need to get better. I have no time to look out for others. Sorry if that offends you. It is what it is.

#9 razer777

razer777

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 187 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:41 PM

"These symptoms are common in the population, with a lifetime prevalence of up to 74% and between 31 and 66% at the time of a traumatic event." -wikipedia.

You simply misunderstood that sentence. In other words its saying that 74% of all people will experience derealization at some point in their lifetime. From what I've read in books about DP most cases of DP last two years or less and subside on their own with or without medication.

#10 Fullmetal

Fullmetal

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 45 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:16 PM

Wikipedia is a completely unrealiable source. It's open to anyone to write on, though these statistics MAY be true, without any given reputable medical source, they can't be taken seriously. Derealization/Depersonalization caused by an actual physical neurological problem may be permanent, but Derealization/Depersonalization caused by anxiety is by no means permanent, it just isnt. I strongly recommend you do not use wikipedia as a source for information because it hands out a lot of BS. Derealization/Depersonalization that is caused by anxiety is completely reversable, when the negative anxiety is gone, the DP/DR fades as well, because there is no need for it to be there any longer. Not trying to sound like an ass, but please refrain from posting this type of information on a site where people are suffering from anxiety induced DP/DR, it wont help them any.

Okay, I am going to kill myself. Recovering is my only goal in the future. If that is impossible... and if I don't have anything to lose...
(What if I am really autistic? I do have trouble socializing at times)

#11 Healy787

Healy787

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:35 PM

"These symptoms are common in the population, with a lifetime prevalence of up to 74% and between 31 and 66% at the time of a traumatic event." -wikipedia.

You simply misunderstood that sentence. In other words its saying that 74% of all people will experience derealization at some point in their lifetime. From what I've read in books about DP most cases of DP last two years or less and subside on their own with or without medication.

Thank you very much for clarifying that. Very good news.

#12 Healy787

Healy787

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:36 PM

Okay, I am going to kill myself. Recovering is my only goal in the future. If that is impossible... and if I don't have anything to lose...
(What if I am really autistic? I do have trouble socializing at times)

You're not autistic. And don't kill yourself. Trust what you know deep down. Don't trust your irrational worries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users