risperidone - Treatment Options - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

risperidone

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 d61591

d61591

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 46 posts
  • Locationcali

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:17 PM

So I saw a psychiatrist for the first time today, and he actually knew about derealization lol. He suggested using this as saying it would calm me down, and most likely my symptoms would subside. I'm in no way psychotic so I'm not really for using it, but is anyone on it? I want to know input before I start taking this. thank u

#2 dantaeos

dantaeos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:28 PM

I took risperidone because the doctor believed i had psychosis, but it was simply depersonalization. It does lessen the anxiety but honestly i wouldnt take it if i were you. It left me with some bad side effects coming off it. I would say just focus on doing CBT.

#3 insaticiable

insaticiable

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1702 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:52 AM

So I saw a psychiatrist for the first time today, and he actually knew about derealization lol. He suggested using this as saying it would calm me down, and most likely my symptoms would subside. I'm in no way psychotic so I'm not really for using it, but is anyone on it? I want to know input before I start taking this. thank u

I agree with what your psychiatrist said in that it will definitely help calm you down during times when you panic. I honestly think that at a low dose (anywhere between 0.5 mg- 1 mg), it would be beneficial and at the same time not too sedating or cause you too many side effects. What dose were you given? The first week or so, it may make you sleepy, but that is normal. I was on Risperidone for a good while, and managed to not have any side effects. Keep us posted and let us know how it goes!

#4 Brando2600

Brando2600

• DPSH Members
  • 901 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:05 PM

I'm on it right now(5mg 3 times a day) and enjoy it, I havnt had a panic in months.

#5 d61591

d61591

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 46 posts
  • Locationcali

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:15 PM

I really don't ever have panic attacks, i've only had one and that was way long before I got dr...and my anxiety is to a minimum, except in some situations, but rarely does it spike up. So should I take it, I don't see the point in taking a aap if im not psychotic it kinda freaks me out the whole idea.

#6 Nihil Dexter

Nihil Dexter

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 273 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:32 PM

I'm on it right now(5mg 3 times a day) and enjoy it, I havnt had a panic in months.

15mgs of risperidone ? are you serious ?

#7 Brando2600

Brando2600

• DPSH Members
  • 901 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:55 PM

15mgs of risperidone ? are you serious ?

oh, sorry, I meant .5mg

#8 Nihil Dexter

Nihil Dexter

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 273 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:08 PM

oh, sorry, I meant .5mg

haha, it was obvious. with 15mg, i think, you wouldn't remember having DP at all.

cheerio

#9 insaticiable

insaticiable

• DPSH Members
  • 1702 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:54 PM

I really don't ever have panic attacks, i've only had one and that was way long before I got dr...and my anxiety is to a minimum, except in some situations, but rarely does it spike up. So should I take it, I don't see the point in taking a aap if im not psychotic it kinda freaks me out the whole idea.

A lot of people are being prescribed AAP's these days when they are not psychotic. The use of these medications is not limited to only the diagnosis of psychosis. Some doctor's prescribe these AAP's in conjunction with Antidepressants to further augment the therapeutic effects of the antidepressants. I remember another member on here who used to post in the past (Renzime) who was also prescribed Risperidone thru a clinic he saw in the U.K. I'm not trying to advertise the medication here, but I think you might benefit from a low dose as have several others on the forum.

#10 university girl

university girl

• DPSH Members
  • 783 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:15 PM

Tried it. Had big time memory issues. I'm now on seroquel, a related antipsychotic. It has helped me heaps! :)

#11 Doberg

Doberg

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

I might start this medication, on a low dose. I heard it can clear the mind up and not be in such a fog and deep state of craziness hahaha

#12 Juanmartin

Juanmartin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:36 AM

I dont think we are psychotics to take that. I took it long time ago and I was worst 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users