What is better for DR emergency : anti-psychotics or benzos? - DPSelfhelp.com Member Polls - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

What is better for DR emergency : anti-psychotics or benzos?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: What is better for emergency? Anti-psychotics or benzos? (45 member(s) have cast votes)

What is better for emergency? Anti-psychotics or benzos?

1. Anti-psychotics : Seroquel (2 votes [4.44%])

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

2. A-P : Risperdal (1 votes [2.22%])

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

3. A-P : Zyprexa (low dose) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Benzo : Klonopin (19 votes [42.22%])

Percentage of vote: 42.22%

5. Voted Benzo : ativan (6 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

6. Voted Benzo : xanax (9 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

7. Benzo : sleep pill (emergency!) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Benzo : valium, librium, tranxene (8 votes [17.78%])

Percentage of vote: 17.78%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_Karine__*

Guest_Karine__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:35 PM

I wonder when you feel DP/DR'ed and dissociated to the roof, what is better to take, to help, and for long-term risks.

From a girl who have crisis and don't know how to manage this, who is hypocondriac and is afraid like hell of TD and EPS.

Regular Contributor

• Validating
  • 324 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 04:20 PM

Do you work in a pill making company ?

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:55 PM

All of the above, can have horrendous side effects, and withdrawals. If there was an option, to say none of the above, that I would have chosen.

Tardive Dsykenisia, is a higher risk factor for anti-psychotics, as well as the major mental blunting affects.

Valium, Klonopin, are both poison in a package, which was researched into causing awful tolerence damage, and withdrawal, a few decades ago now.

Grandma-stole-my-wheels!

#4 jill10

jill10

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationEnglish/Welsh border town

Posted 30 April 2005 - 03:26 PM

:) hello

i have researching meds for dr and as far as i can tell....there is new research on Topamax...this is also said to be good for diabetics epileptics and works as a mood stabiliser hope this info is ok. jill10

Regular Contributor

• Validating
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:18 PM

Valium for me.

#6 Mario

Mario

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 672 posts
  • LocationMy Lost Soul

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:33 AM

In my case,benzos

#7 Guest_Le Chat_*

Guest_Le Chat_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:24 PM

Didn't know a good answer as you said for an emergency.

For long-term maintenance and improvement -- Klonopin/clonazepam. It took a month or more for a high dose of Klonopin to start to touch the DP/DR for me.

I find antipsychotics of any kind make DP/DR worse (tried some old ones years ago and they made me feel completely gone, utterly GONE). They also terrify me re: the long-term side-effects. A few people mention improvement.

In an EMERGENCY ... if you are really completely lost ... for me nothing works -- I simply do everything I can to "get myself back" which sometimes simply takes the passage of time and listening to someone talk to me. If I feel PANIC I have once in a blue moon taken a Xanax and found that the most effective. I have an emergency "stash" of 20 Xanax. I got this last Rx two years ago. I have 15 pills left. I think they are 2mg. So I have only used 5 of them in the past 2 years ... as a matter of fact I believe they are expired.

Oddly enough, Valium and Ativan (and maybe other benzos I've tried in years past) are literally like sugar pills. I can't explain it. They do NOTHING for me. I feel no effect from them at all. I'd have to take a very large dose to feel something, and wouldn't want to.

It is true, benzos cause withdrawal, but particularly if you go cold turkey. For me, I already know that ultimate weaning (if I ever do) off of Klonopin will be Hell. But all it will do is, I assume, take me back to my original DP/DR which was horrible BEFORE medication. I'll take the medication.

#8 comfortably numb

comfortably numb

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1466 posts
  • LocationInterzone

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:13 PM

In a emergency a benzo is the best option. Preferably a reasonably fast acting one such as valium or lorazepam. Both of those benzodiazepines can also be given IV or IM which will work even faster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users