Prozac Sucks - Page 2 - Treatment Options - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Prozac Sucks

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#13 voidvoid

voidvoid

Human

• DPSH Members
  • 2255 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:52 AM

What is this "serotonergic dysfunction" and how do you get checked for it? I am asking because I know nothing about it and because I thought it was extremely difficult if not impossible to measure Serotonin/Dopamine etc.

Peace.

#14 insaticiable

insaticiable

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1702 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:27 PM

What is this "serotonergic dysfunction" and how do you get checked for it? I am asking because I know nothing about it and because I thought it was extremely difficult if not impossible to measure Serotonin/Dopamine etc.

Peace.

I don't know for SURE that I have a serotonergic dysfunction as I have never measured out my serotonin/dopamine levels, BUT I am basing it off of a theory that suggests that people with Borderline Personality Disorder (which is what I have) have this serotonergic dysfunction and do not respond well to SSRIs, or medications that increase serotonin, thus confirming the reason why I never responded to SSRI treatment after years of trial.

#15 Mario

Mario

• DPSH Members
  • 672 posts
  • LocationMy Lost Soul

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:02 AM

Peace.

I myself know nothing that can measure the "serotonin/noradrenaline/dopamine" levels and/or their action in the brain as well.
In my case,this came to be an assumption made by my doctor,because all the antidepressants i've tried,made me feel a lot worse,specially the SSRIs,and believe me,i've tried all types of antidepressants on the market.So,my doctor concluded that i have a "serotonergic dysfunction" which means that your serotonin levels increase to a dangerous level(though you can't measure it),whenever you take an antidepressant or any other substance that can help increasing the serotonin levels in the brain.
In such cases,they have to give priority to other forms of therapy such as CBT,etc.

#16 DiscoStick

DiscoStick

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 215 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:42 AM

I've just gotta say that the propranolol is wonderful—it's not blocking my DP out, but I'm able to function at a much higher level when I'm on it. That is that it bluntens my heart rate, palpitations and tremor and this contributes to making me feel more comfortable.

#17 Mario

Mario

• DPSH Members
  • 672 posts
  • LocationMy Lost Soul

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:50 AM

I've just gotta say that the propranolol is wonderful—it's not blocking my DP out, but I'm able to function at a much higher level when I'm on it. That is that it bluntens my heart rate, palpitations and tremor and this contributes to making me feel more comfortable.

Yes,I've been taking propranolol for 3 weeks now and i think this is a really good medicine.In spite of being a beta blocker,it also helps by reducing your anxiety levels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users