DOPAMINE - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

DOPAMINE

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 rob35235

rob35235

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 637 posts
  • LocationPsychiatric disease is really physical disease which isn't understood yet.

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:49 AM

As you may know, there is a theory that we high have dopamine levels. How can we lower it significanlty without drugs, or without any weird herbs (which are just as frightening to ingest)

#2 flat

flat

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 784 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:45 AM

I thought it was low dopamine levels. Can you explain how high dopamine might cause dp?

#3 PositiveThinking!

PositiveThinking!

Living Nightmare u.u

• DPSH Members
  • 1835 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:46 AM

I thought it was low dopamine levels. Can you explain how high dopamine might cause dp?

Same o.0

#4 guest1234

guest1234

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:19 AM

It's low dopamine levels.

The fight or flight reaction causes a big peak in adrenaline and a drop in dopamine which I think is partially responsible for the DP response.
What usually happens when you get a shock or a scare is that you get that 'safe' feeling afterwards in your chest when you know everything is ok. This safe feeling is actually physiological as well and is what triggers adrenaline and dopamine to go back to normal levels.

One of my theories with DP is that because we get caught up in the fear of how we feel, we don't get the safe feeling and so dopamine remains low.

It's only when you can lose the fear and stop worrying that you start to get back towards that safe feeling.

This is all my own speculation though so not sure how accurate it is.

Tyrosine and L-DOPA are precursors to dopamine so taking supplements of these might help. Food sources tyrosine include almonds, avocados, bananas, dairy products, lima beans, pumpkin seeds, and sesame seeds.

Foods that are rich in antioxidants such as fruits and vegetables may help protect dopamine-using neurons from free radical damage. I would recommend supplementing with vitamins C, vitamin E, and other antioxidants.

#5 comfortably numb

comfortably numb

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1466 posts
  • LocationInterzone

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:20 AM

Im not sure about the whole dopamine hypothosis on dp/dr as i havent read enough about it to make a opinion really. I have noticed that dopaminic drugs such as dextroamphetamine and cocaine (good cocaine) take my anxiety away though. I don't get dp/dr anymore atleast not in the true sense. I do feel unreal sometimes but this is due to bipolar disorder which is a complete bitch to treat :angry:

#6 rob35235

rob35235

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 637 posts
  • LocationPsychiatric disease is really physical disease which isn't understood yet.

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:53 PM

Oh, no no no..it definitely is *high* dopamine... many or most anti psychotics *lower* your dopamine levels. Cannabis and exercise, for example, both raise your dopamine level.

#7 voidvoid

voidvoid

Human

• DPSH Members
  • 2255 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:50 PM

I´m confused. Although this thread reminded me that I have some avocadoes in the fridge that I need to eat. Everybody wins.

#8 nabber

nabber

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:41 PM

Yeah, i wish i could figure this one out. I tried an anti psychotic but it knocked me out so I didn't give it much of a chance. Then I read up on dopamine and asked my doctor and he thought it was a good idea to try mirapex (a non-ergoline dopamine agonist).. I didn't give this one much of a chance either, i'm kind of worried about the side effects, but I might try it again. I take adderall "which is thought to work by increasing the amount of dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain" and it's helped me a lot, i've been on 20mg a day for quite a few months and it's still just as potent as day one...

I think I'll pick up my script for mirapex and try it again for atleast a month and let everyone know how I feel..

#9 Absentis

Absentis

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:59 AM

I'm sorry if anyone has been mislead or misinformed due to this post. I wish I was a moderator so I could close threads filled with factually incorrect information, like this one. This forum is slowly becoming a cesspool of ignorance, and without knowledgeable moderators to steer its path it's doomed to become the empty shell of a once useful community. (Dreamer, if only we could clone you things wouldn't be so bad.)

As you may know, there is a theory that we high have dopamine levels. How can we lower it significanlty without drugs, or without any weird herbs (which are just as frightening to ingest)

No, there is no such theory that high levels of dopamine cause dp/dr. There isn't even a credible hypothesis that such a correlative relationship exists, much less a causative one. (I doubt you even know what theory means, since you blatantly misused the word. Protip: Theory doesn't mean "shit I made up").

Oh, no no no..it definitely is *high* dopamine... many or most anti psychotics *lower* your dopamine levels. Cannabis and exercise, for example, both raise your dopamine level.

Are you serious? I have the feeling that you're trolling this forum because I find it hard to believe that you are presenting this as a legitimate argument.

I've been trying to come up with a metaphor that will display the kind of outlandish statement that is being made about the brain in a readily understandable fashion. Let's substitute car for brain, and oil for dopamine. Let's say there is a "check oil" error message that is emitted from the dashboard of this car. The equivalent to rob35235's "lower dopamine" is the same approach as troubleshooting the problem with the car's oil by draining the oil from the car. "What? You mean without even checking the car for a leak, looking at the engine, asking if we're using the wrong kind of oil, or taking it into a dealership?" "Nah Dude, the problem is with the oil, so if we take it out we'll be fine." I shouldn't need to say this, but I'll say it anyway: You need oil to run a car.

Now if you're thinking to yourself that this analogy makes no sense, then you know what it is like for me to read posts like this one.

#10 guest1234

guest1234

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:18 PM

But DP isn't psychosis. So that is irrelevant. If that were the case then antipsychotics would get rid of it. They don't. And cannabis might raise it while you're on it but that will result in base level depletion over time. Plus there are many conflicting theories on whether cannabis use does actually raise dopamine or not (good article here http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19539765 )
Besides it is NEVER going to be as simple as 'well X causes Y and Y causes Z therefore X must cause Z' with anything to do with neurotransmitters, receptors and causal effect.

Trust me, I have researched this to the ends of the earth and it's much more likely low dopamine with DP.

Easiest way to illustrate is to give some examples of symptoms of low dopamine levels:

Dopamine depletion is associated with:

· anhedonia (inability to feel pleasure)

· the inability to feel love and sense attachment to another

· a lack of remorse about actions

· distractibility

Sound familiar?

#11 Guest_ThoughtOnFire_*

Guest_ThoughtOnFire_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

I have been under the impression that Cannabis/THC triggers a release of what dopamine (or serotonin) that you have stored already. Not that it produces more of these...but depletes the system of what was there. That's why, (I've always thought), you either gain tolerance to certain drugs, or they burn you out.

#12 voidvoid

voidvoid

Human

• DPSH Members
  • 2255 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:20 PM

A psychiatrist I´ve spoken to actually wants me to take this drug for dp/dr Flupentixol also called Depixol and Fluanxol. It is a *typical* first generation anti-psychotic with some supposed antidepressive traits. When he first mentioned this I could not believe what I was hearing. I mean, most people know that antipsychotics lower dopamine and generally lower frontal lobe activity, cognition and perception etc. Any thoughts on this? Am I wrong? I am sure if I took this shit I would go crazy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users