Something I've realised - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Something I've realised

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PositiveThinking!

PositiveThinking!

Living Nightmare u.u

• DPSH Members
  • 1842 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:15 PM

I've realised something today. I actually am able to go along with the feeling of being in a dream and not freak out, but theres sort of a barrier, which is thinking if I'm wasting my life by being like this. I often wonder if I can actually feel good while being like this, if this is just wasting my life. As soon as I remember how I used to live my life and how I am living it now, I feel like I just have to stop going along with this feeling, like I just can't accept this, and this is when I remember of some stories of people who had DP/DR for years, and some still do after years and like.. wonder how their lives were, and how could they have been if they had recovered..

#2 Hoopesy

Hoopesy

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationElkton, MD

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:33 PM

I've realised something today. I actually am able to go along with the feeling of being in a dream and not freak out, but theres sort of a barrier, which is thinking if I'm wasting my life by being like this. I often wonder if I can actually feel good while being like this, if this is just wasting my life. As soon as I remember how I used to live my life and how I am living it now, I feel like I just have to stop going along with this feeling, like I just can't accept this, and this is when I remember of some stories of people who had DP/DR for years, and some still do after years and like.. wonder how their lives were, and how could they have been if they had recovered..

I can't stress to you enough how important it is to accept the current state you are in. DP is a defense mechanism the brain switches into to deal with a great amount of stress, anxiety, or sadness. So trying to fight what your brain naturally does only adds more stress to the mind which is extremely counter productive to recovery. But don't think of yourself as a victim to DP. Think of DP as a guest with the job of protecting the mind. Keeping it away won't let it do its job. And constantly thinking about it will only agitate it and take it longer to do its job. Let it in to stay for however long it needs to stay, try not to disturb it, and it will pack up and leave when its job is finished.

#3 PositiveThinking!

PositiveThinking!

Living Nightmare u.u

• DPSH Members
  • 1842 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:39 PM

I can't stress to you enough how important it is to accept the current state you are in. DP is a defense mechanism the brain switches into to deal with a great amount of stress, anxiety, or sadness. So trying to fight what your brain naturally does only adds more stress to the mind which is extremely counter productive to recovery. But don't think of yourself as a victim to DP. Think of DP as a guest with the job of protecting the mind. Keeping it away won't let it do its job. And constantly thinking about it will only agitate it and take it longer to do its job. Let it in to stay for however long it needs to stay, try not to disturb it, and it will pack up and leave when its job is finished.

Sounds simple if you look at it that way, but is that really how it works? Because if it really is that simple, I guess I'm able to do it :P

#4 Hoopesy

Hoopesy

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationElkton, MD

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:00 PM

Sounds simple if you look at it that way, but is that really how it works? Because if it really is that simple, I guess I'm able to do it :P

For the most part, yes. The key to all of this is trying to eliminate the anxiety and stress that keeps your brain DP'd. Once the brain can see that theres no need to have the barrier up anymore it will let it down. This is why some people have it for a day then it goes away, the stressor is not complex so it is eliminated easily and DP leaves. But for people like us who are going through a depressive episode or have an anxiety problem the case is a little different. Since our stressor is a reoccurring issue the brain sees it fit to keep the barrier up to protect us. We have to show it that there really is no problem and it can let its guard down. But we have to actually deal with our fears and problems, not push them away. Anything that gives you anxiety or alot of stress is an obstacle toward recovery, the DP itself is one obstacle for most. By accepting it we can learn to not feel stress of anxiety toward it and move on to another issue we are facing. Its a long road ahead, but we will pull through. I promise you that :)

#5 2deepathinker

2deepathinker

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 592 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:08 PM

Love this way of looking at things! ;)

#6 Guest_Auldie_*

Guest_Auldie_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:13 PM

Ive tried to accept it but i seriously don't know how i can, i just really want my old life back :(

#7 ZachT

ZachT

DP Approved

• DPSH Members
  • 1339 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:06 AM

I know how you feel. I have been going along with the dream DP for a long time.
I just don't freak out anymore. Well, with the help of anxiety meds of course. ;)

#8 Sarasi3

Sarasi3

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:45 AM

This is good news! It is great that you can continue life without the DP getting you down. Do not feel bad like you are 'wasting your life' this way. This is the DP making you feel like that, not you. You should not feel guilty, it is not your fault.

Also, if you feel like you are ok but not progressing in your recovery, you still need to focus on the cause of the DP. You are doing the absolute right thing by not letting the DP upset you, but you can't be ignorant and just 'settle' for this feeling. If things don't improve, something still needs to change. So, continue to relax and go with the flow, but keep searching and progressing with recovery. You may need to get to the bottom of anxiety or depression through therapy? You may need to have your health or adrenal function tested? Or you may need to make the right life changes to improve your well-being. Whatever it may be, don't give up.

All I can say is well done :) and I wish you the best of luck for a speedy recovery.

#9 PositiveThinking!

PositiveThinking!

Living Nightmare u.u

• DPSH Members
  • 1842 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:47 AM

This is good news! It is great that you can continue life without the DP getting you down. Do not feel bad like you are 'wasting your life' this way. This is the DP making you feel like that, not you. You should not feel guilty, it is not your fault.

Also, if you feel like you are ok but not progressing in your recovery, you still need to focus on the cause of the DP. You are doing the absolute right thing by not letting the DP upset you, but you can't be ignorant and just 'settle' for this feeling. If things don't improve, something still needs to change. So, continue to relax and go with the flow, but keep searching and progressing with recovery. You may need to get to the bottom of anxiety or depression through therapy? You may need to have your health or adrenal function tested? Or you may need to make the right life changes to improve your well-being. Whatever it may be, don't give up.

All I can say is well done :) and I wish you the best of luck for a speedy recovery.

Yeah I guess I'm on the right path, but it's annoying when you manage to deal with the DP, but it still won't go away or even reduce a bit.

#10 cass75

cass75

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSurrey, England

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:31 PM

Hmm well I've had both for years and have had to just accept it but as I am getting older it is harder because I know what I have missed and feel like I have only lived half a life, I often what I could have become and what amazing things I could have achieved..

#11 Anla

Anla

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:25 AM

Hmm well I've had both for years and have had to just accept it but as I am getting older it is harder because I know what I have missed and feel like I have only lived half a life, I often what I could have become and what amazing things I could have achieved..

I am still achieving, but unfortunately I greatly mourn the joy and excitement I felt whenever I had achievements before dr....

#12 Anla

Anla

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:30 AM

I am still achieving, but unfortunately I greatly mourn the joy and excitement I felt whenever I had achievements before dr....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users