Too weird..Im coming out of dp! - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Too weird..Im coming out of dp!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• Validating
  • 663 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 10:03 PM

Im coming out of dp. Its happening at an almost alarming rate. Ive been this way for so long that Im having a hard time adjusting to this. The transition is making me feel very uncomfortable. The only way I can explain it is everthing around me is becoming familiar and all of my senses are getting stronger. My energy level is incredible. When I go outside everthing is so bright and colorful and 3d. Its so weird. Memories are flooding back at a terrifying rate. Everything triggers them. When I look at my family members faces, they look correct and familiar. What have I learned? Everything Ive read about serotonin and perception is correct. Dp is not a bi-product of anxiety, its a bi-product of low serotonin, just as anxiety is a bi-product of low serotonin along with the memory problems that have plagued me. I still have the anxiety but I suspect it will fade once my serotonin gets back to an adequate level. Ive had depression, my whole life and didnt know or understand it. My condition went untreated so long that it came to this, not to mention the alcohol and benzos that only aggravated things.

Joe

#2 Guest_SoulBrotha_*

Guest_SoulBrotha_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2004 - 10:17 PM

thats good that your getting better but now im confused, You don'tthink DP is a product of Anxiety???

Regular Contributor

• Validating
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 10:20 PM

Go Team! Thats so very great to hear.

Congrats my man.... If I could I would give you a medal. (no sarcasm)

What sparked all of it?

• Validating
  • 663 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 10:38 PM

Soul,

Anxiety has always thought to be the cause of dp, cause they usually exist together. I dont believe this. I believe that dp and anxiety are two seperate symptoms of the same problem...low serotonin. Serotonin levels are essential for our memory, perception, and a feeling of well being(plus lots more). Most people in this state are hindered in all these areas.

Joe

• Validating
  • 663 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 10:49 PM

Hey Blake,

Mostly the Paxil Im taking, but I belive the vigorous excercise and milk intake (tryptophan) ive had recently are boosting its effects.

Joe

#6 Guest_SoulBrotha_*

Guest_SoulBrotha_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2004 - 10:51 PM

at this point im willing to do whatever it takes to get better

#7 dalailama15

dalailama15

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 287 posts
  • LocationSi Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

Posted 22 August 2004 - 11:10 PM

I have never believed the anxiety thing either. The King's College group and the Mt. Siani group--the only real research projects going on--are not, I think, making this connection.

I did feel, a little over a year ago, a period of. . . I guess transcendence, a higher point of view. It lasted not for a moment but for more than a month. I thought I was experienceing the world and myself as more real than I had in decades.

Then it stopped, and then I could barely imagine what it had been, and then thought I had just imagined it.

But I had also stopped what I had been doing for a month or so before this awakening. It was Wellbutrin, quitting smoking, vigorous exercize, and watching my diet. The wellbutrin alone didn't do it.

Back to the Y for me. Break out my fitness software. I'm serious.

Great news Joe. Don't slack off. I'll meet you in the real world in about a month.

• Validating
  • 663 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 11:13 PM

Soul,

I was exactly your age when this shit first started to happen. I look back now and I understand why felt the way I did. My conditions then were very mild but I let them go for over 10 years and eventually I ended up in this nightmare. I used to self medicate with caffeine and alcohol but all it did was make it worse. I feel very bad now that I didnt figure this out sooner. I could have spared myself and my family alot of suffering. Life goes on.

Joe

Regular Contributor

• Validating
  • 258 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 11:14 PM

Argh thats what I've been saying for like.. ever! Kill the anxiety and the DP and foggy feeling vanishes along with its. Dakota, whats its feel like to be in the moment, totally absorbed within your surroundings and be able to think with the speed of a mongoose with half a pound of wassabe shoved up its butt?!

Please, let me live vicariously through you for one moment :)

#10 kenc127

kenc127

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 11:20 PM

joe that is great news. I'm really happy that this stuff is letting up for you. Good luck on your adventure away from this stuff. PS, you've confirmed my suspicions that DP is directly related to depression. Good job, and have fun :D

• Validating
  • 663 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 11:27 PM

Hey guys,

thanks for the replys, It feels wonderful. Ive spent a couple of days crying just out of pure joy. It feels good to just have my emotions back. I wish everybody here a full recovery.

Joe

#12 luke1979

luke1979

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationDarwin, Australia

Posted 22 August 2004 - 11:59 PM

mate that is the best news ive heard all day, im so happy for you, im getting myself away for a few weeks work on a remote island in australia and im hoping thats gonna be what i need to get my head into gear and get sorted.
without sounding selfish i wish i was you right now.
i hope you continue to make progress and that everything fitts into place for you, but dont run away, keep us updated as to how your going and what is helping you, it might be the info that we all need to get over this (what i believe to be the worst mental health condition).
cheers and keep smiling.
Luke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users