THE way i cured my DP - Recovery Stories - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

THE way i cured my DP

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Xerei

Xerei

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 673 posts
  • LocationEarth, 3rd rock from the sun.

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:10 PM

Hey guys..as u know ive been in this community for a little while, and im fully cured, but ill stay to help the sufferers here as much as possible..or at least as much as Im able 2.

First of all, u HAVE to accept it, u got DP, in my country its a common symptom to anxiety, just tell yourself that you have NOTHING to fear, unpleasant - yes, dangerous - no, no and NO!!!

Think about it as little as possible (stay distracted..), might be hard at times, but every second you dont think about it, it's a great step to recovery.

Walk straight into what triggers your DP a couple of times, just for the fun (just kidding), go into it to see how strong your DP can get if you dont think about it a lot, (and that aint gonna be bad) now, as your DP goes strong for a second, look back to when it was weak compared to it, it will then seem like no problem at all, then go out of the situation, and calm down.

Socialize, just to rub the following message into DP's face: U DONT CONTROL ME, ITS MY LIFE, ITS MY TIME, BITCH! U AINT GONNA GET A SHIT OF ME.
Yep...thats how it works, give it NOTHING absolutely NOTHING.

Force yourself to look in the mirror a couple of times each day, and say this to the 1 staring back: this is me, my face, my hair, my eyes.

Get the sleep you need, because sleep deprivation can actually be the cause for short-term DP.

Understand this: The DP isnt a part of you, its not a part of your life, you as a person, or your own unique personality, its a part of your thoughts, and thoughts change.

Stay optimistic and dont you fuckin give up on me, if you give up ill be really disappointed.

Dont focus too much on yourself, focus on what happens, instead of looking for the pain inside.

Slow down and stop thinking every once in a while.

Dont rush through everything you have to do, that just makes it worse.

Loose yourself in something, a nice hobby, a game, maybe chess?

Eat and drink whatever you WANT to eat or drink, what you WANT is often what you NEED.

Remember that your not alone.

Dont feed the DP, just like you dont feed the internet trolls (i used to be a troll aswell, and if i get no food i stop).

Have fun, smile and be happy, meditation and praying helps btw.

When your starting to reach the point you want you may be a little confused by the emotions you havent felt in so long, but that passes quickly.

Also: I know that it may seem dark where you are sitting at the moment, but ive been there, many people have been there, many people are there now, but there IS a way out.

And if any of you have any questions or whatsoever, contact me, come to the chat, (and dont google it..that just gives u unwanted information)

And id like to thank tommygunz for helping me through the recovery process.

PS: if it goes slow, dont try speeding it up, just liev at the moment, let past be past, dont worry about the future, it hasnt arrived yet.

Oh, and if your DP comes back by any chance, repeat the simple process.

May peace and God be with ya all.

#2 ZachT

ZachT

DP Approved

• DPSH Members
  • 1339 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:04 PM

This is a true post. But it is hard for a lot of us to accept this.
Like myself, i have been depressed a lot lately and the last thing i would want to do is go out and hang with friends. I have been trying to push myself out and socialize but i even get more depressed.
good post btw

#3 Rein

Rein

• DPSH Members
  • 1060 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:46 AM

If i would do that i probably die in a car accident, because i will feel so detached that i can no longer pay attention to everything.

#4 Xerei

Xerei

• DPSH Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:37 PM

If i would do that i probably die in a car accident, because i will feel so detached that i can no longer pay attention to everything.

nope..DP would never get ya killed in a car accident..that's not the good thing about DP..I'll tell you a few of the good things.
Once in a gym a guy shot this giant hard ball towards my head, for 3 seconds my DP got really bad..felt as if I was gonna black out, but thanks to DP I dodged that ball.
And there's a reason DP comes in fight or flight, it's gonna make sure the fear doesn't wreck you.

#5 Xerei

Xerei

• DPSH Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:42 PM

updat3: Just forget DP, move on, simple as that.

#6 sophiasmith

sophiasmith

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:01 AM

HI Xerei,

Thankyou, thankyou for this beautiful post. It is very moving and full of compassion.
I wish I was one of the many people here whose DP comes and goes. For me it is ALWAYS bad, and never for one second varies at all - and I can't even remember what it was like when it wasn't. So I can't take your advice about working with things that "trigger" DP. I also can't not let DP control me, since it effects my abilites and my social functioning in an extreme way - though I do "push through" my limits.
I am getting a degree of relief now through a diet program, but I am also going to keep in mind the rest of your advice. I know it is pretty much the opposite of what I do, ie, worry about DP, worry about what DP says about me, fight it and obsess about how I want it to be over and I have GOT to think of a way out. And all of this makes me feel worse and worse.

Salutations,
Prem

Hey guys..as u know ive been in this community for a little while, and im fully cured, but ill stay to help the sufferers here as much as possible..or at least as much as Im able 2.

First of all, u HAVE to accept it, u got DP, in my country its a common symptom to anxiety, just tell yourself that you have NOTHING to fear, unpleasant - yes, dangerous - no, no and NO!!!

Think about it as little as possible (stay distracted..), might be hard at times, but every second you dont think about it, it's a great step to recovery.

Walk straight into what triggers your DP a couple of times, just for the fun (just kidding), go into it to see how strong your DP can get if you dont think about it a lot, (and that aint gonna be bad) now, as your DP goes strong for a second, look back to when it was weak compared to it, it will then seem like no problem at all, then go out of the situation, and calm down.

Socialize, just to rub the following message into DP's face: U DONT CONTROL ME, ITS MY LIFE, ITS MY TIME, BITCH! U AINT GONNA GET A SHIT OF ME.
Yep...thats how it works, give it NOTHING absolutely NOTHING.

Force yourself to look in the mirror a couple of times each day, and say this to the 1 staring back: this is me, my face, my hair, my eyes.

Get the sleep you need, because sleep deprivation can actually be the cause for short-term DP.

Understand this: The DP isnt a part of you, its not a part of your life, you as a person, or your own unique personality, its a part of your thoughts, and thoughts change.

Stay optimistic and dont you fuckin give up on me, if you give up ill be really disappointed.

Dont focus too much on yourself, focus on what happens, instead of looking for the pain inside.

Slow down and stop thinking every once in a while.

Dont rush through everything you have to do, that just makes it worse.

Loose yourself in something, a nice hobby, a game, maybe chess?

Eat and drink whatever you WANT to eat or drink, what you WANT is often what you NEED.

Remember that your not alone.

Dont feed the DP, just like you dont feed the internet trolls (i used to be a troll aswell, and if i get no food i stop).

Have fun, smile and be happy, meditation and praying helps btw.

When your starting to reach the point you want you may be a little confused by the emotions you havent felt in so long, but that passes quickly.

Also: I know that it may seem dark where you are sitting at the moment, but ive been there, many people have been there, many people are there now, but there IS a way out.

And if any of you have any questions or whatsoever, contact me, come to the chat, (and dont google it..that just gives u unwanted information)

And id like to thank tommygunz for helping me through the recovery process.

PS: if it goes slow, dont try speeding it up, just liev at the moment, let past be past, dont worry about the future, it hasnt arrived yet.

Oh, and if your DP comes back by any chance, repeat the simple process.

May peace and God be with ya all.

#7 Xerei

Xerei

• DPSH Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:26 PM

HI Xerei,

Thankyou, thankyou for this beautiful post. It is very moving and full of compassion.
I wish I was one of the many people here whose DP comes and goes. For me it is ALWAYS bad, and never for one second varies at all - and I can't even remember what it was like when it wasn't. So I can't take your advice about working with things that "trigger" DP. I also can't not let DP control me, since it effects my abilites and my social functioning in an extreme way - though I do "push through" my limits.
I am getting a degree of relief now through a diet program, but I am also going to keep in mind the rest of your advice. I know it is pretty much the opposite of what I do, ie, worry about DP, worry about what DP says about me, fight it and obsess about how I want it to be over and I have GOT to think of a way out. And all of this makes me feel worse and worse.

Salutations,
Prem

=) no worries. Sooner or later you'll catch yourself NOT thinking about Dp. that's often how the recovery process starts..and ends...believe me, you'll get over it.
Here's a nice motto for you: "There's nothing I can't do"

#8 sunn lord

sunn lord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:42 AM

Hey All,

I'm quite new to the forum here (obviously) but I thought I'd chirp in on this thread to give everyone another nudge of hope. Yeah, you do hear stories of people who "suffer" from their DP for YEARS and on. But, I honestly believe that this is because it's harder for some of us to cope with and it becomes more of an obsession. I've known a few people with OCD who actually inhabited it to COPE with their DP (which is a whole 'nother problem in it's own). I've gone through this (DP/DR) experience before, when I was 16. I remember laying in bed trying to fall asleep, and began getting these weird racing thoughts and songs stuck in my head (I know some of you are reading this and going "whoa, me too!"). Then I felt like I was being dragged from my body, had a panic attack, etc. etc. The problem was, I lingered on it. I became obsessed that I had a problem and something was gravely wrong with me. Well, I was put on prozac (which worked wonders as a teenager) and about 7 months later, DP was GONE. Yup, GONE. Anyways, years pass, I'm 23 now, had a stressful time in my life and ended up having another huge panic attack (I stopped taking prozac after I felt "better" which was probably a mistake). Same story, lingered on it and here I am. I went back to prozac and its not helping as quick as when i was a kid, but hey, I'm older now. I take Xanax for my anxiety which helps a LOT. Anyways, I'll quit rambling.

These posts are TRUE. You have to confront it, once you realize that you're okay and safe, you're one step closer. I know it's hard getting out there and socializing when you're depressed, I have agoraphobia, myself. But think of it like this, you didn't become home bound over night nor did you become depressed or have feelings of anxiety over night. The DP, maybe, but it's usually a by-product of anxiety or depression. Therefore, you're not going to feel recovered after one night of breaking out of your shell, it takes time. I was convinced I had some brain ailment, Mad cow disease, brain tumor, etc. But just like when I was a teenager, was reassured this was not the case. I've been recently breaking out of my "shell" and hanging out more with people I like being around and looking at my medication as a "helping hand". I accept that the medication is just a temporary solution and to not use it to mask the problem. But, I tell you what, I feel a HELL of a lot better now than I did a few months ago when this sensation reared it's ugly head right again. To think about it in a positive way, look at it like this: We're able to do something others will pay MONEY to do (i.e. drugs). We're able to see life and the world from a different perspective. Though, it's frightening at times or at first, just remember: nothing is going to happen to you.
I look at all these people without a care in the world who get so upset over the most insignificant things (material things mostly) and seriously get depressed over it and I think to myself "wow, I don't have it so bad after all". There are so many sides to life that we will never understand in our existence and far worse things we can spend our energy and mind power on. Turn the tables on your DP, take advantage of it and make it never want to come back.

Ignorance is bliss, but I'd have the intelligence and ability to see things for what they are than to not know anything my whole life.

Anyways, I think rambling must be a symptom of DP/DR because a lot of us do it. Don't obsess over it, it will pass with time. It might not even be with you now, it's the thought of it being there and the recall of those feelings that are bringing it back to you, the mind is oh so very powerful. Remember that.

#9 Kitr

Kitr

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:59 PM

So what did you do to get out of it? :)

#10 TheStarter

TheStarter

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:29 AM

fapfap
nvm

#11 joewolf

joewolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:13 PM

Well, glad you are healed. I'd be interested to know how it happened that I have been through therapy, medication, etc. and I can not think myself out of this more than I can believe me on a broken leg. Several times, I feel physically sick with this and I am sure it something.

#12 Xerei

Xerei

• DPSH Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:59 AM

Well, glad you are healed. I'd be interested to know how it happened that I have been through therapy, medication, etc. and I can not think myself out of this more than I can believe me on a broken leg. Several times, I feel physically sick with this and I am sure it something.

as long as you follow the thought that you ARE physically sick you're a slave of DPs thoughts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users