The Holy Grail of Curing DP/DR - Page 3 - New? Start Here - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

The Holy Grail of Curing DP/DR

134 replies to this topic

#25 lostsoul

lostsoul

Regular Contributor

• Validating
  • 255 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:21 PM

Hi guys,

I don't come too much on this forum anymore, once in a few months or so. First of all I have to make a big excuse, since last time I got here I was really bitter that nothing is changing in my life and I made a very bitter reply. Anyway..

I think this is an excellent thread, BUT I think it makes everything too focused on dp/dr. I still have the same amounts of dp/dr since I have a second, bigger problem, autism. I was diagnosed twice with Asperger Syndrome. Since I saw many people who also have dp/dr for years and years I suspect the same (also, I saw other posts of people suspected to have Aspergers). Since in autism sleeping is often already bad as a baby it's not very easy to get rid of this.

Ok, I would like to share the following, I hope it's usefull for you guys.

1. There is NO formula. I think everyone here is thinking of a formula constantly to get out of this state. A human being isn't like a computer, you can't say do this and this and you will be happy again. Or do this and this and you will certainly sleep well this night. No, God didn't create us like this.
2. Realize how serious the state is you are in. I'm quite sure 95% of the people who have this long-time don't want to feel because of a trauma. If you realize this is serious and you need serious help and that you are very important AND that your family is also suffering, this will get you in a state that you might want to feel again.
3. HOPE. All you need to get out of is this is hope. What do you want to be in 5 years?
4. Structure. Wake up at the same time (only sleep 8 hours, at least not longer than 10), go to bed at the same time. Eat at the same times. Make a yourself a day structure. DON'T feel pitty about the last time you HAD with dp/dr. Feel pitty for the time you are still losing. FIGHT! But in the same time be patient with yourself. If you have long-time dp/dr how long did you stay in bed or didn't excersise? You have to reverse this vegetating with excersise. You simply can't reverse years of not caring of your body in a week or a month. Accept this.
5. Hyperventilation. All you are doing (90% of the ppl don't know this) is hyperventilating. If possible find professional help for this.
6. Excersise, so you sleep better (because you are less hyperventilating over time).

I'm extremely strong, fighting this shit for years and years and not giving up. If I can do this while being autistic (making it more difficult to get grounded) you can do it for sure! Keep up the hope, try to continue life, become healthy (health IS the most important thing!). It's more easy to distract yourself when you are more relaxed.

Find professional help! Stop finding help on the internet, you need someone professional. What you don't need is an information overload seeking help everywhere on the web. In IT there is a structure called KISS. It means Keep It Simple Stupid. KISS DP/DR!

Keep it simple. DP/DR is hyperventilation. Cure it. DP/DR is low self-esteem. Cure it. DP/DR is sleep depreviation. Cure it. DP/DR is anxiety. Cure any of these and you will be free.

A man is fine when he believes in himself, in others, in God and in the world. A man doesn't believe in any of these if he hates it.

#26 lostsoul

lostsoul

Regular Contributor

• Validating
  • 255 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:40 PM

One more thing.

(Chronic) hyperventilation is triggered by A) Drug use B) Vegetating C) Pregnancy D) Some other causes

I met many offline having dp/dr, my current breathing coach had it for 6 years triggered by pregnancy (although she didn't knew this was the cause till I told her, pregnancy changes your breathing patterns). Another one also had it after this issue.

Most often dp/dr is caused by a burn-out. Or often also by depression. I have a very steady believe that a burn-out or a heavy depression is the cause of vegetation/lying on bed, something has happened in your life, a trauma or something and you start lying more often on bed. This causes hyperventilation. Now because ppl get tired because of hyperventilation they will lie on bed more often. This is the circle you have to break through. If you staid on bed often or did not enough excersise, you can't expect your breathing will become good again after a month of heavy training. Please understand this and accept it will be a (long) process.

Simply do a lot of things (especially things you enjoy), that's the main ingredient of curing. But remember life does not offer formulas. You want a formula to control this situation. If there is a small formula it's living healthy, structure and sport. This will help for sure, but you need more.

Something that also became obvious to me is that dp/dr is simply extreme depression. Nothing more, nothing less. Although it feels like you are in a shock, its extreme depression.

#27 S.Snake

S.Snake

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 59 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:56 AM

Ive got a question about sleeping.

I find that when I sleep I get really vivid dreams and when I wake up I feel mentally drained and because of this I feel compelled to stay in bed and usually I do and get extra sleep.

Do you know what causes that?

#28 SnakeyMLT

SnakeyMLT

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:36 AM

good thread. but it's not very helpful for me, since i'm not a sufferer of anxiety.

#29 mixmastermc

mixmastermc

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:23 AM

This thread is cool. However, don't feel bad if this thread offers you nothing.

It's not your fault, don't feel bad, this thread IS NOT the holy grail for dp disorder sufferers. Maybe it's useful for those who suffer from dp/dr as a result of anxiety. However, this does not necessarily include you.

For a lot of us, this thread offers nothing but false hope and then frustration when it has no impact whatsoever.

If another user claims that this thread should definitley cure your dp, they are simply an acute sufferer who has dp/dr due to anxiety. When they overcome their anxiety - their dp/dr subsides. Not everyone is like this - hence DP Disorder.

However, you should still follow the advice of this thread, stay strong and don't let this shit beat you.

#30 Rebekah

Rebekah

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:55 AM

After many years of learning what works and doesn't through trial and error, here it is in one post. This really is the holy grail of MY recovering from DP. I appreciate the comment that not all DP's are the same, however.

#31 SnakeyMLT

SnakeyMLT

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:05 PM

This thread is cool. However, don't feel bad if this thread offers you nothing.

It's not your fault, don't feel bad, this thread IS NOT the holy grail for dp disorder sufferers. Maybe it's useful for those who suffer from dp/dr as a result of anxiety. However, this does not necessarily include you.

For a lot of us, this thread offers nothing but false hope and then frustration when it has no impact whatsoever.

If another user claims that this thread should definitley cure your dp, they are simply an acute sufferer who has dp/dr due to anxiety. When they overcome their anxiety - their dp/dr subsides. Not everyone is like this - hence DP Disorder.

However, you should still follow the advice of this thread, stay strong and don't let this shit beat you.

Agreed. mine is not from anxiety i think, neither from drugs and all that nasty stuff. i think i was born with it and i need to live with it, *sadface*

#32 Kitr

Kitr

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:47 AM

This guide is great this really helps!!! :)

#33 Kitr

Kitr

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:48 AM

#34 Kitr

Kitr

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:48 AM

#35 *deleted*

*deleted*

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:35 PM

Wow this sure sounds great. But actually trying this.....well it will be freaking hard.

#36 Ivan Hawk

Ivan Hawk

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:10 PM

thank you sir, will try these out :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users