The Holy Grail of Curing DP/DR - Page 2 - New? Start Here - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

The Holy Grail of Curing DP/DR

134 replies to this topic

#13 Whydontiexist

Whydontiexist

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:54 PM

Everytime you find yourself ruminating over some stupid ass philosophical questions GET UP, run around your house 5 times and do 20 pushups.
Throw a bucket of icecold water over your head and clean your room.

--------

OMG LOLL!!!!

i found out that happiness helps it go away for short periods of time, if im stressed, or overall bin a bad mood, it gets worse... i end up freaking out because it gets so bad, and it gets even more worse. (isn't that a dandy?) so, if you can find a way to be happy. the HAPPIEST thing, whether it be video games, sports, dancing, kissing some girl or just being around certian people (without smoking weed/drinking, it'll just make it worse.)

man, you cracked me up. going to bed in the best mood i've had all day.

#14 Hoopesy

Hoopesy

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationElkton, MD

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:18 PM

Thanks for taking the time to make this list. It's great! I can't stress enough the need for
- exercise
- diet
- sleep
- socializing

These are personally the biggest factors that decide a good day from a bad one DP wise. Good luck to everyone on their journey through recovery.

#15 Patrick

Patrick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:20 PM

I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else. Tommygunz pointed this out to me, and the day I skimmed through it, I already started feeling hope. Very good information. You say that most of this info was from another user and dpmanual.com. How would you compare "Depersonalization: A Recovered Sufferer's Comprehensive Guide On How To Cope With And Alleviate It" (dpmanual.com book) to another depersonalization book such as "Feeling Unreal: Depersonalization Disorder and the Loss of the Self". I ask this to everyone who has read either book, because I ordered the second book I listed, and now I'm thinking about getting the first one. But if books on DP pretty much offer the same information (excluding exceptions), then I won't feel bad about my decision. On the other hand if most of you have read the first one, and claim it is better than any other book then I will probably shell out the $40 to get it. Thanks.

#16 Tommygunz

Tommygunz

friggin coolest dude ever!

• DPSH Members
  • 1359 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:32 PM

theres a pretty big difference between the two. feeling unreal is a more professional style focusing more on what DP is. while DPmanual is actually intended to help you overcome DP. of the two DPmanual is significantly more effective at helping one to recover.

#17 RenZimE

RenZimE

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:24 AM

I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else. Tommygunz pointed this out to me, and the day I skimmed through it, I already started feeling hope. Very good information. You say that most of this info was from another user and dpmanual.com. How would you compare "Depersonalization: A Recovered Sufferer's Comprehensive Guide On How To Cope With And Alleviate It" (dpmanual.com book) to another depersonalization book such as "Feeling Unreal: Depersonalization Disorder and the Loss of the Self". I ask this to everyone who has read either book, because I ordered the second book I listed, and now I'm thinking about getting the first one. But if books on DP pretty much offer the same information (excluding exceptions), then I won't feel bad about my decision. On the other hand if most of you have read the first one, and claim it is better than any other book then I will probably shell out the $40 to get it. Thanks.

Hey there Patrick,

I honestly have never even heard of the book you have ordered yourself so I cannot vouch for its content, but as for the dpmanual.com book, it is simply a must buy! It is so well written that not only is it easy to read (DP can make reading a chore), but its personal tone makes you feel as though the guy is actually talking to you as you read it. Very comforting and very reassuring indeed. Even though the self-help side of the book is pretty much the same info as you can get elsewhere, I would still 100% recommend it just for how personal it is, and the experience it can pass onto you in coping with the daily grind.

Best of luck to you Mister Patrick :] May it bring you some peace of mind in the days ahead!

#18 Patrick

Patrick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:49 PM

So after reading what you guys said about the books, I will return the book I ordered, and I just ordered the dpmanual.com book. I didn't order a downloadable version of the book, and I didn't get confirmation of when and/or where they are sending the book, so I hope niether paypal or dpmanual.com didn't mess up and send it. Anywho I had read other comments on the book I originally ordered and most were very good, but from some of the bad comments; I could tell that this was a realistic doctor's view of the disorder. So thank you both for the recommendation, and I will tell you how the experience with the book goes :)

#19 Tommygunz

Tommygunz

friggin coolest dude ever!

• DPSH Members
  • 1359 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:37 PM

if you look around the forum, someone posted a link to download it for free. i can't remember who or where it is though. either that or you could pay for it. it's worth it.

#20 RenZimE

RenZimE

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:51 PM

As much as I agree that getting anything for free is a bonus (Lord knows I'll never look a gift horse in the mouth), the guy who wrote the DPManual really does deserve the money for his time, effort and experience. But I won't judge either way.

I guess that makes this post kind've redundant but I just wanted to give my 2 cents :P

#21 Patrick

Patrick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:32 PM

I have already bought it, and I just don't feel like searching around for something on the internet when I have a somewhat broad area of looking :P. Anyway, I apprecite it guys. And if we had 50 people's 2 cents, we would have a dollar :P

#22 Mario

Mario

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 672 posts
  • LocationMy Lost Soul

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:36 AM

if you look around the forum, someone posted a link to download it for free. i can't remember who or where it is though. either that or you could pay for it. it's worth it.

The member who posted the link to the download of the DP Manual was JumpJump,but i just can't find the link to it now.

#23 RenZimE

RenZimE

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:52 AM

I have the DPManual in e-book format on my other computer.. I could upload it to somewhere or other if you guys require it? I don't know the legal implications behind doing so though and honestly I could do without getting in any trouble with my ISP during this (oh so fantastical) extended home period. :P

EDIT:: Thank you Mod.. Whoever you may have been ^_^

#24 guest1234

guest1234

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:28 AM

I have covered a lot of the DP manual stuff on my post in the recovery section.

Great post , it pretty much reaffirms everything I learnt over the years I had DP :)

I would also recommend paul david's book 'at last a life' (anxietynomore.co.uk)

The only thing I am not sure about is the buddhist exercises - I think they might cause you to focus on yourself too much? I personally avoided anything of the spiritual ilk and I recovered fine. But then of course everyone is different and it seems to be helping some people - I guess they will make you relax more, I would just say be careful they don't increase introspection! :)

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users