What it means to be "human"... **Please contribute** - Page 2 - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

What it means to be "human"... **Please contribute**

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#13 RenZimE

RenZimE

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:46 AM

I don't think this is connected with depersonalization itself.
[but your lists are interesting :)]

Mine:
- Thinking about existence is perfectly pointless because you'll never have an answer, and thus, you'll be frustrated with any of the conclusions you may draw, and thus again, existence is pointless and unjustifiable.

That's it.

Hi there Planetary,

While yesterday I would've been inclined to disagree with you in that I was literally at the point of desperation in trying to answer some of lifes unanswerable questions.. Today I have had almost an epiphany!

I'll say this loosely as I don't want to curse anything, but I genuinely LOVE life today. I LOVE being a human and being able to experience this weirdness that is existence. Sure theres things I cant comprehend, and sure theres a lot of stuff that scares me.. But life is harmless, no matter how real or unreal it may seem! Its a beautiful sunny day, and I've spent the majority of it outside! (Which trust me, is a big deal with me) I am seriously so happy today :] So yesh, maybe we all should just let go of the anxieties that stem from this unreal sensation and just live. Experience life as it is, just like everyone else does. Afterall the only thing that can harm you is yourself, at least as far as DP is concerned.

I hope my experience has brightened up your day as much as it has mine :] I just wish you guys could be here to share it with me. Meanwhile, I'm gonna go back outside and lay in the sunshine, just because I can :D haha.

Peace guys.

#14 FoXS

FoXS

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 713 posts
  • LocationGerrrrmany

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:17 PM

I genuinely LOVE life today. I LOVE being a human and being able to experience this weirdness that is existence. Sure theres things I cant comprehend, and sure theres a lot of stuff that scares me.. But life is harmless, no matter how real or unreal it may seem!

great! :rolleyes:

#15 Fullmetal

Fullmetal

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 45 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:31 AM

Human...first I didn't believe in God, but this DR made me go investigate all religions,
not only that, I too studied what humans are made of...

There is a God!!! There really is. The only problem is whether that God is written in religious works or not, we don't know if there is a heaven or not.

We have conciousness, everyone of us. When you die, you can pass that conciousness to another life form, also called rebirth, but there is no proof for it, because you lose memories when you die in your human form.

The Abrahamic religions point out at ressurection....
Everyone has a little faith :) Why don't you suicide? What's the point in writing with an empty pen on a paper?
You won't write anything and everything is in vain at the very end. Even helping someone...'cause that one will die too. Best is to suicide a.s.a.p. to be honest. Living is only kiting death. Nobody knows what happens after death so you probably won't suicide. Fear of death...

XD Try to put all components humans are made of on a staple and try hard with alchemy to make a human you won't be able to. Te truth is within our grasp, but Satan, (not the horned crap one) but the handsome one that mixes truth with falsehood so you don't know the truth.

I am not a Christian but I remember the story of Adam, Eve and the tree of knowledge. 'Do not eat from it or else you'll die!', this has a hidden meaning we all must learn from. Science leads to death of the soul. Knowledge leads to destruction in the end. Look at all the poor people in the world, and try to find the real reason why they're poor. As we advance in living it's becoming a worser place to live for more and more people.

#16 Hoopesy

Hoopesy

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationElkton, MD

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:05 PM

The weird thing about DP is that it stirs up the same fears in all of us. It makes you really think about existence. It's funny isn't it? Just sit back and think for a minute. Your alive. RIGHT NOW. You could very well be not alive but somehow you ended up alive, in this universe, in this galaxy, on this planet, as a human, right here reading this at this moment. It's mind blowing. out of the INFINITE possibilities that "you" could have gone through, the paths you could have taken, the experiences you may have had, your completely unique path has led you to here. In this moment! The human experience is so strange. Our ability to reason makes us question our very existence. Why are we here? How did I get here? What does it all mean? These questions cloud the DP'd mind like a plague. You can try and find the answers to these questions but really its a futile pursuit. We cannot find the ultimate answer to these questions, so why try? But why does the DP'd soul constantly search for something beyond itself? We are always looking for the unobtainable. Concentrate on the now. Go outside and find a spot away from your life. No car, no computer, no tv, no ipod. No job or school, no people or responsibility. Go there with nothing more than your clothes, find a spot in the middle of nature, and just BE. Whens the last time you've done that? Just exist for awhile? We fill our lives with these electronic devices and define ourselves by our relationships with others. It consumes us to a point where we think thats what a life is. Go to that spot and let it all go. close your eyes and just be. Feel the wind in your hair, the grass on your legs. Hear the other lifeforms scurrying around, carrying out their duties. Feel the sun on your skin. You are a human, you are one with everything around you. Even if you have to think of it at a material level and not a spiritual one. You share a bond with everything around you that words cannot describe. Only when you are just existing, and realizing the oneness of all, can you learn that life isn't about reaching an end. It's not about getting somewhere, or accomplishing a specific goal. It's just experiencing what is all around you. Life is about just being. Just be.

#17 Coraline

Coraline

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:59 PM

when i first got dp i wondered if the world and i were but a thought. A daydream in someones head.

once, i wondered if my community and the human race was like 'The Truman Show" except everyone is aliens in human suits and i am the only human.. and then came what if i am really the alien and they are the actual humans? hmm.. lol

Now days (as my dp is but a constant buzz) i believe there is no meaning to life but whatever meaning makes you comfortable with living. I take "being human" as being seen by others as human- which it to look the part and act the learned behavior.

To me being human is empathy and emotions. As without those i'd don't feel quite human.

nice topic! thank you :)

#18 Guest_Le Chat_*

Guest_Le Chat_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:50 PM

I didn't read every reply, but I've had DP/DR my whole life ... am 51.

When I first had it, as a child, as a teen especially, I dwelt on "what is existence" ... A LOT. After being on medications, after therapy, after time, I do not dwell on these thoughts. I believe the symptoms of "Loss of Self" LEAD us to asking these questions. But we never "lose" our true selves.

Now IF I were to start REALLY focusing on these questions, and on my body, I could make the DP/DR a thousand times worse. I have learned over time to NOT think that way, or rather to "let these thoughts pass by" and really ignore them.

Individuals I know w/out DP are not preoccupied with these thoughts. Philosophers who contemplate existence do not have DP.

Some here with DP have these thoughts, others don't. Right now, for say the past 15 or more years, I have not been overcome by such thoughts. Only under situations of EXTREME stress.

#19 isthisreallife

isthisreallife

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:25 AM

I am such an over thinker and I definitely worry about these things. I hate thinking about these things.

The idea of what is a soul, what is god, what is human etc., I try to avoid any topics of religion when talking with friends because it always sends me spiraling into DP and DR even deeper.

I have alot of the thoughts you listed renzime, and a tonne more. Like I've thought about the millions of molecules and atoms in a drop of water, and I thought what if our solar system or universe is just like a drop of water falling somewhere and we are what makes it up. What is space? How can there be "nothing" Other times I think we are something like the matrix living here in this made up reality but not actually being real.

Also its hard for me to comprehend that on the other side of the world, life goes on just like here. To me it seems life only goes on when I'm there to witness it (if a tree falls in the forest and theres no one there to hear it does it make a sound)

I really try these days to stay away from that type of thinking because I will never come up with an answer, and all I know is that to me love is real, family and relationships are real, therefore life is worth it. Questioning it is pointless because we will never know an answer.

#20 2deepathinker

2deepathinker

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 592 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:52 AM

I didn't read every reply, but I've had DP/DR my whole life ... am 51.

When I first had it, as a child, as a teen especially, I dwelt on "what is existence" ... A LOT. After being on medications, after therapy, after time, I do not dwell on these thoughts. I believe the symptoms of "Loss of Self" LEAD us to asking these questions. But we never "lose" our true selves.

Now IF I were to start REALLY focusing on these questions, and on my body, I could make the DP/DR a thousand times worse. I have learned over time to NOT think that way, or rather to "let these thoughts pass by" and really ignore them.

Individuals I know w/out DP are not preoccupied with these thoughts. Philosophers who contemplate existence do not have DP.

Some here with DP have these thoughts, others don't. Right now, for say the past 15 or more years, I have not been overcome by such thoughts. Only under situations of EXTREME stress.

I can totally relate to this Dreamer. I am in a cognitive study, and they are teaching me to let thoughts just be there, let anxiety related sensations be there. I think there is really something to this. I am a lot happier, existential thoughts when I am anxious always get worse if I dwell on them!

#21 guest1234

guest1234

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:53 AM

These thoughts are a symptom of DP. I used to get them all the time and wasted a lot of time (4 years) trying to work out existence worrying about it being scared by it blah blah blah. Now that I am recovered those thoughts don't bother me at all and hardly cross my mind - if they do I'm like 'so what?'
I think the key thing about them is not that you think them because of DP but that they SCARE you because you are DP and not feeling yourself, everything seems strange and scary and you are full of fear, so you focus and project the fear onto your surroundings, as there is no visible threat for it to focus on.
Just my theory but as people who recover stop with those thoughts and obsessions, it seems quite a solid one.

Yeah you could spend your whole life dwelling on/being afraid of the fact that we might just be a bunch of atoms swarming around and that the world came about from some big coincidence but it would never get you anywhere. You just have to try and take a 'so what?' view. It all stops being scary when you recover anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users