My Path to Recovery - Recovery Stories - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

My Path to Recovery

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 AlexXD

AlexXD

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:15 PM

Hey all.

Posted my story in a few other places around here. Basically, I have DP as a result of what I believe to be stress, as it came about with no other agressor.

Anyway, recently I've been combining meditation and hypnosis, along with just plain old relaxation in an attempt to fight the DP, and it seems to have been working.

One thing I've noticed recently, as everything begins to at least dwindle somewhat, is that the emotional detatchment that comes with DP, at least with me, is not as - indestructible, I guess? - as it makes us believe. We've grown so used to questioning everything that we break down feelings and emotions so much, as to make them meaningless. As difficult as it may sound, the real key to breaking through that is, well, to just ignore it. Let your emotions flow through and don't give them a second thought. Less calculating, more spontaneity, seems to be the key to it all.

Anyway, just my thoughts. March 5th is my deadline for beating DP, at least idealistically. The less idealistic one is April 10th, so wish me luck! And best to you all on your own journeys back.

And one thing that I think needs to be articulated a lot more: recovery from DP is a process that takes a bit of time. It doesn't just happen. But stick in there! Progress will come, as will recovery.

Don't fight the DP, let it flow!

Best to all.

#2 ChrisPA

ChrisPA

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:35 PM

I wish you luck Alex and almost agree completely with what you are saying. The only thing I would warn you about is setting an exact date for yourself to be "completely recovered." This condition is one of those things where it has many ups and downs and even when you are seemingly through it, it can come back in little waves. Putting such a big expectation on an exact date to never feel something again is kinda setting yourself up for a fall. You are putting a lot of pressure on a specific day and I am not sure if that's the right approach. I too was at the point where I thought I was completely 100% not going to have severe cases of DP/DR anymore, but I had a day where I slipped up for some reason and had bad anxiety. I think this was mostly due to my ignorance, as I started to drink caffeine heavily again which is the worst for those of us with anxiety problems which is what DP/DR is. Anyways, because I had it in my head that this would never ever effect me again, when it did I took a pretty harsh set back for a little while and had DP/DR spurts now and again after it. Your enthusiasm and positive outlook on getting out of this is awesome, and you are definitely going to succeed. I just want to help in a way I guess because if you recognize the DP/DR and "let it flow" as you say and just naturally fade away, you won't be as alarmed as I was if it happens to come back at all. Either way, good post, and I too am just about completely over it and am hoping for a complete elimination of the DP thoughts in the near future.

#3 AlexXD

AlexXD

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:20 PM

I wish you luck Alex and almost agree completely with what you are saying. The only thing I would warn you about is setting an exact date for yourself to be "completely recovered." This condition is one of those things where it has many ups and downs and even when you are seemingly through it, it can come back in little waves. Putting such a big expectation on an exact date to never feel something again is kinda setting yourself up for a fall. You are putting a lot of pressure on a specific day and I am not sure if that's the right approach. I too was at the point where I thought I was completely 100% not going to have severe cases of DP/DR anymore, but I had a day where I slipped up for some reason and had bad anxiety. I think this was mostly due to my ignorance, as I started to drink caffeine heavily again which is the worst for those of us with anxiety problems which is what DP/DR is. Anyways, because I had it in my head that this would never ever effect me again, when it did I took a pretty harsh set back for a little while and had DP/DR spurts now and again after it. Your enthusiasm and positive outlook on getting out of this is awesome, and you are definitely going to succeed. I just want to help in a way I guess because if you recognize the DP/DR and "let it flow" as you say and just naturally fade away, you won't be as alarmed as I was if it happens to come back at all. Either way, good post, and I too am just about completely over it and am hoping for a complete elimination of the DP thoughts in the near future.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. I know that I may not reach it by my deadline (it's unrealistic) but I figure if I have that date in my mind, I'm more likely to keep my resolve against the DP up, rather than just making some indescript "future" my goal.

And yeah, I also get the overconfidence thing. It's happened to me before (had this for about 2 years now) so I'm trying to maintain a healthly level of confidence. Which brings me to another point... I've found that lack of confidence also plays a role in DP. Like, less confidence in oneself will make it worse... Just an observation, but has anyone else had this? But anyway, focusing thoughts more positively seems to help as well, overall.

#4 Tommygunz

Tommygunz

friggin coolest dude ever!

• DPSH Members
  • 1359 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:18 PM

i kinda like the approach of setting a date. i think potentially if you enforce in your mind enough that it would possibly have a subconscious programming effect. as though your mind will know that on said date it will turn DP/DR off. that and not setting a time frame could potentially allow DP/DR to linger for a while longer than you want.

#5 Xerei

Xerei

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 673 posts
  • LocationEarth, 3rd rock from the sun.

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:00 PM

wish ya luck, U CAN DO IT!!!
have faith in urself, and ur recovery, jzt by living with DP u have shown urself as a strong person!

#6 AlexXD

AlexXD

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement :).

As for what Tommygunz said: That's exactly what the reasoning behind picking a date was. Because I've tried the "just ignore it" method for... months, really... and it didn't really seem to be progressing any. Not that there's no help in ignoring the DP to a certain degree (it seems to be one of the most important things) but DP is also beat by noticing the weaknesses of the DP. Of which there are many. It just seems like there aren't any because of the long time periods that most of us have had this DP for.

Like, because I've had this for 2 years, it seems "normal" now... so in a way, we actually need to enter an altered state of mind again in order to fight the DP, because this altered state would be, well, the "non-DP" state of mind, for lack of a better term. If any of that just made sense to anyone. Haha.

#7 AlexXD

AlexXD

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:37 PM

It's been a few weeks since I really started "recovering" I think, but in any case there is a marked improvement. I'm starting to feel a bit sharper and my vision is improving. I still see flat colored backgrounds (specifically things like the sky and snow) as seeming somewhat "pixelated" (anyone else had this?), but that's improving too. The fatigue is lessening, and I'm beginning to feel as if I have control over the DP.

All that leaves is a bit of brain fog and, of course, the emotional dampening, as well as the increase of DP under fluorescent lights/computer screens. Still trying to find a good solution for these, but I figure these will also resolve themselves with time. But yes... it's improving! Finally!

On a side note... has anyone heard about something called the "default mode network"? I heard about it in Scientific American, and apparently it deals with conciousness and awareness... I was thinking that this could perhaps be linked to DP?

#8 easyreader

easyreader

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:43 PM

i kinda like the approach of setting a date. i think potentially if you enforce in your mind enough that it would possibly have a subconscious programming effect. as though your mind will know that on said date it will turn DP/DR off. that and not setting a time frame could potentially allow DP/DR to linger for a while longer than you want.

I think the panax ginseng has damaged your brain cells.

#9 AlexXD

AlexXD

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:04 PM

I think the panax ginseng has damaged your brain cells.

What?

#10 easyreader

easyreader

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:25 PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement :).

As for what Tommygunz said: That's exactly what the reasoning behind picking a date was. Because I've tried the "just ignore it" method for... months, really... and it didn't really seem to be progressing any. Not that there's no help in ignoring the DP to a certain degree (it seems to be one of the most important things) but DP is also beat by noticing the weaknesses of the DP. Of which there are many. It just seems like there aren't any because of the long time periods that most of us have had this DP for.

Like, because I've had this for 2 years, it seems "normal" now... so in a way, we actually need to enter an altered state of mind again in order to fight the DP, because this altered state would be, well, the "non-DP" state of mind, for lack of a better term. If any of that just made sense to anyone. Haha.

you're thinking too much. think less.

#11 AlexXD

AlexXD

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:29 PM

you're thinking too much. think less.

Easier said than done. =P

#12 AlexXD

AlexXD

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:50 PM

Did two thirty minute meditations (with music), one today and one yesterday... and I think they've really helped!

I'm feeling the best I have in a long time. Have had periods where emotion rushed back. It's wonderful.

To any second guessing: yes, there is hope. Recovery comes slowly, but it comes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users