Depression - Mental & Physical Health - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Depression

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ZachT

ZachT

DP Approved

• DPSH Members
  • 1339 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

Is there anyone that has depression with there dp???

If so, what do you do to cope with it???

-Zach

#2 Sleepwalker

Sleepwalker

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationCaribbean

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:31 PM

-Zach

I think I do. Unfortunately i am doing nothing about it because all the newer drugs here are so expensive and not available in the public health system.
From my reading, I understand that most people with long-term illness (especially psychological ones) have depression--mild to severe.
I do take lamotrigine, which, I understand has antidepressant properties.
I am definitely looking into escitalopram...I'm saving for it.
Sorry I can't be of much support.
Have you tried anything as yet?

#3 surf

surf

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 5291 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:29 AM

Oh ya

I've tried a number of SSRI's; Lexapro, Effexor, Celexa, Zoloft - to name a few. No improvement in any but Zoloft. It definitely keeps me from having negative thoughts such as ending my life but I can't say I really feel good from it, it just kind of numbs out some of the depression. I stopped taking it for a few months to see how things would be and the negative/suicidal thoughts came back so I went back on it. There are also natural things to help with depression such as St. Johns Wort (I've been wanting to try that out), eating healthy food and staying in shape is good, taking care of your hygiene, maintaining self-esteem, and staying social is key. I've isolated myself from people and the world a lot in the past 2 years which no doubt makes it harder now to interact and socialize with people. I also think finding someone to talk to who motivates you and is a mentor will help, be it a therapist, friend, parent, whoever. For me having someone to interact with that I look up to and can lay everything out on the table with helps a lot. The depression I get is the worst when I'm by myself and frustrated and have no means of getting the frustration out.

#4 Rebekah

Rebekah

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:37 PM

It gets depressing because NOBODY understands this problem except the forum folks. I don't even mention the word "depersonalization" because no one can relate to it at all!! I just need to say panic anxiety or whatever. It is very lonely to not be able to sit down on a couch beside someone and talk and relate about this problem. Even shrinks and docs really seem bewildered when you start talking about. Most docs will claim you don't even the damn problem, since they have no idea what it is. I really would like to start some local support/fellowship group in my area, but am afraid of not being able to handle to truly mentally ill who do not have intact reality testing. It might be too overwhelming. Taking a 20 minute nap, sort of like meditating, really helps with depression since I'm usually overstimulated in my brain and it helps me to calm down, then I feel more normal.

#5 ZachT

ZachT

DP Approved

• DPSH Members
  • 1339 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:01 PM

well im on 20 mg lexapro right now.

I tend to figure out that when you do something you really like all the time, your depression may fade away.

#6 Luciiz

Luciiz

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:38 PM

I think everyone with DP/DR has atleast a mild depression.

Every day the fucking same. You can't feel pleasure in the little things any more.

#7 Jessesaur

Jessesaur

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:04 AM

Yes, I find that anxiety, DP, and depression are sort of a package deal. They all seem to feed each other too.

#8 voidvoid

voidvoid

Human

• DPSH Members
  • 2255 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:42 AM

Currently Im so depressed that i only manage to stay awake for like 4-6 hours a day. And its not laziness, trust me I know what pure depression "feels" like.

#9 comfortably numb

comfortably numb

• DPSH Members
  • 1466 posts
  • LocationInterzone

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:36 AM

I get bad depressive episodes where i sleep for 16 hours a day. The only anti-depressant that has ever helped this is wellbutrin (bupropion). It is a stimulating anti-depressant so it helps the sleep all day, constant severe fatigue, i feel like a zombie and get no pleasure from anything type of depression. It doesent work for everyone however.

I also take lamotrigine for bipolar disorder but it also has anti-depressant properties and these generally kick in before the anti-manic properties, Since lamotrigine is also used by some people to treat dp/dr it may be worth a shot. Either by itself or as a add on to a anti-depressant.

#10 ZachT

ZachT

DP Approved

• DPSH Members
  • 1339 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:17 PM

Im really starting to think my bipolar is getting worse.
What are some of your bipolar symptoms???

#11 comfortably numb

comfortably numb

• DPSH Members
  • 1466 posts
  • LocationInterzone

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:19 PM

My symptoms are pretty much the usual ones. I get major depressive episodes alternating with hypomania, mania and mixed states. The mixed states are by far the worst that is for sure. I also get rapid cycling and i rapid cycle between moods very fast when unmedicated. I can go from manic to a mixed episode to major depresssion in a day if im not on a mood stabilizer. When i do get rapid cycling i usually go from a mixed episode to depression and back again. Also i sometimes get psychotic symptoms if im having a mixed episode or bad manic episode.

Thankfully it is fairly well controlled these days with the meds i take. The lamotrigine works wonders for rapid cycling, depressive episodes as well as manic episodes. Although it isint as strong at controlling mania as lithium or valproate is. Although valproate did almost nothing for me probably because i was on such a low dose due to the fact of my shrink being a idiot. The lithium/lamictal combo is fairly popular these days because lithium is great for controlling mania while lamictal is better at controlling the depressive episodes and rapid cycling.

#12 ZachT

ZachT

DP Approved

• DPSH Members
  • 1339 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:00 PM

Well iam glad the meds help you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users