NMDA receptor agonists. A new direction in treating DP DR. - Page 3 - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

NMDA receptor agonists. A new direction in treating DP DR.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#25 comfortably numb

comfortably numb

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1466 posts
  • LocationInterzone

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:25 PM

I dought anyone with DP that has any sense left will do DXM in any form. And if they do, they shoudnt complain about their DP getting worse.

Yes i would recomend anyone who has depersonalization or derealization to stay away from DXM (unless you take it in low doses used as a cough suppressant but it is near useless for this purpose so it's hardly worth it) or any other dissociative. Atleast if your dp/dr is active anyway but even in remission you take a risk. This excludes dissociative anesthetics used for medical purposes such as nitrous oxide or ketamine used during certain procedures of course.

Basically all i was saying in that post was that if you do go ahead and try DXM to get high make sure the only active ingrediant in the product is dextromethorphan. Anything else and you risk alot more then making your dp/dr worse. You run the risk of death while having a awful trip when you either OD, have something go wrong with your heart or have a stroke. Or even worse you die a slow agonizing death due to acetaminophen/paracetamol poisoning. That would have to be one of the worst most painful ways to die.

#26 Claymore

Claymore

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1239 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, U.S.

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:20 PM

I dought anyone with DP that has any sense left will do DXM in any form. And if they do, they shoudnt complain about their DP getting worse.

Yes i would recomend anyone who has depersonalization or derealization to stay away from DXM (unless you take it in low doses used as a cough suppressant but it is near useless for this purpose so it's hardly worth it) or any other dissociative. Atleast if your dp/dr is active anyway but even in remission you take a risk. This excludes dissociative anesthetics used for medical purposes such as nitrous oxide or ketamine used during certain procedures of course.

Basically all i was saying in that post was that if you do go ahead and try DXM to get high make sure the only active ingrediant in the product is dextromethorphan. Anything else and you risk alot more then making your dp/dr worse. You run the risk of death while having a awful trip when you either OD, have something go wrong with your heart or have a stroke. Or even worse you die a slow agonizing death due to acetaminophen/paracetamol poisoning. That would have to be one of the worst most painful ways to die.

Couldn't agree with you anymore.

#27 rob35235

rob35235

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 637 posts
  • LocationPsychiatric disease is really physical disease which isn't understood yet.

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:58 PM

Sorry I disappeared for a few days. My thoughts are scattered and brief today, so I will just ask a quick question Did anyone ever think of a way to agonize the NMDA's without having a neurotoxic effect? Glutamate supplements?

#28 Absentis

Absentis

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:32 PM

rob35235, you would do well to spend the time to read the entire thread. Your quick question doesn't have a quick answer.

#29 odisa

odisa

DPSH Donator

• DPSH Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

So just digging this thread up.. I've a Nefiracetam sample, which among other actions potentiates the NMDAR's (which is different from direct agonism). Going to be trying this out soon-ish, so I'll post back with my experience.

This topic seemed to end up condemning NMDA antagonists (I won't argue with that), however did anyone actually try an NMDA agonist in the end?

#30 Mayer-Gross

Mayer-Gross

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 423 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:45 PM

I have tried 90.g of l-glycine in a water solution back in 2003 once a day for 6.weeks with no effect. l-glycine is a partiel agonist at the NMDA receptor site. D-serine and d-cycloserine is also partial agonists. D-serine the most potent. Ketamine that blocks the NMDA receptor is recently also found to be a kappa opiopate receptor agonist and ketamines DPD effect comes from the kappa receptor. Full agonist a the NMDA receptor is dangerous and will damage the receptor - good look!

#31 Kuldar

Kuldar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:06 AM

Hmm.. last post October 2013. What happened to the thread?
Here's a list of supplements I am interested in:

Agmatine
L- aspartate
Quinolinate
Homocysterate
D-serine
ACPL
L-alanine

Can anyone comment on these?

#32 willbarwa

willbarwa

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 251 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:02 PM

Judging by all the material and research provided, I would find it interesting if the anesthesia I was given could have made my DP/DR worse. I have no idea what was in it and I remember that before the GA, they gave me some type of sedative (maybe it was placebo).

I'll definitely be more aware of what I put into my body in future cases ESPECIALLY ANYTHING that comes from any hospital/institution.etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users