NMDA receptor agonists. A new direction in treating DP DR. - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

NMDA receptor agonists. A new direction in treating DP DR.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 rob35235

rob35235

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 637 posts
  • LocationPsychiatric disease is really physical disease which isn't understood yet.

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:53 PM

I have come to the conclusion that doctors and researchers don't give a fuck about us, since so little research has gone into DP and DR. They are mainly concerned about the mental processes which cause a ruckus to the observer, such as acting out associated with bipolar, shizophrenia, etc etc. Where as we mostly act "normal" but inside are tortured beyond comprehension!!! We have to figure this shit out on our own, people.

Now, to understand my next proposal, first you must familiarize yourself with the NMDA receptor of the brain: http://en.wikipedia....i/Nmda_receptor

Good, now that you're an expert on the NMDA receptor, let's move on to NMDA receptor Antagonists (google: antagonist definition if you're not sure what that means): Dextromethorphan (found in some cough syrups), ketamine (that white powder that stupid people snort), and the infamous PCP. All Extremely bad for the DP/DR sufferer, obviously, as these drugs are actually known for their dissociative effects. NMDA recptor antagonists on wiki: http://en.wikipedia....ptor_antagonist
Also, did you know nitrous oxide (dental gas) is an NMDA receptor antagonist, with dissociative effects, as well?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Agonist is the polar opposite of antagonist, the following excerpt is from wikipedia.org:
Agonists

Activation of NMDA receptors requires binding of glutamate or aspartate (aspartate does not stimulate the receptors as strongly).[12] In addition, NMDARs also require the binding of the co-agonist glycine for the efficient opening of the ion channel, which is a part of this receptor.

D-serine has also been found to co-agonize the NMDA receptor with even greater potency than glycine. D-serine is produced by serine racemase, and is enriched in the same areas as NMDA receptors. Removal of D-serine can block NMDA-mediated excitatory neurotransmission in many areas. Recently, it has been shown that D-serine is synthesized mostly by neurons, indicating a role for neuron-derived D-serine in NMDA receptor regulation.

In addition, a third requirement is membrane depolarization. A positive change in transmembrane potential will make it more likely that the ion channel in the NMDA receptor will open by expelling the Mg2+ ion that blocks the channel from the outside. This property is fundamental to the role of the NMDA receptor in memory and learning, and it has been suggested that this channel is a biochemical substrate of Hebbian learning, where it can act as a coincidence detector for membrane depolarization and synaptic transmission.

OK somebody figure this shit out, I gotta run...but I'll be back. find drugs which are agonists

#2 Claymore

Claymore

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1239 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, U.S.

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:16 PM

Dextromethorphan (found in some cough syrups)

This drug right here is what put me in DP in the first place after I drank a 4oz bottle of Robotussin DM (Which Dextromethorphan is the main ingredient and gives you an EXTREMLY dissociative high) and mixed a little pot with it and went into a phychotic rant I was so high that I had to go to the hospital. The Dextromethorphan high is DP, it feels exactly like DP because thats what it is I guess.

#3 rob35235

rob35235

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 637 posts
  • LocationPsychiatric disease is really physical disease which isn't understood yet.

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:51 PM

This drug right here is what put me in DP in the first place after I drank a 4oz bottle of Robotussin DM (Which Dextromethorphan is the main ingredient and gives you an EXTREMLY dissociative high) and mixed a little pot with it and went into a phychotic rant I was so high that I had to go to the hospital. The Dextromethorphan high is DP, it feels exactly like DP because thats what it is I guess.

Oh my god, how cool is that? (I don't mean cool that you have DP, but I damn well think I/we must be on to something. We must find a way to agonize the NMDA receptors. What drug will do this, though. This CANNOT be ignored

#4 Claymore

Claymore

• DPSH Members
  • 1239 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:03 PM

Oh my god, how cool is that? (I don't mean cool that you have DP, but I damn well think I/we must be on to something. We must find a way to agonize the NMDA receptors. What drug will do this, though. This CANNOT be ignored

I agree we need to find an agonist to these receptors. How could we find one though?

#5 rob35235

rob35235

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:16 PM

Here is a little reading I'm doing right now http://www.medhelp.o... ... how/952637
Something to do with glutamate..........

although we don't have schizophrenia, we probably have a similar pathology, I found this article very interesting (wonder why we haven't heard about this all over the news)? http://www.theage.co... ... -b6tb.html

#6 rob35235

rob35235

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:25 PM

OK I get it now, NMDA receptors are a type of glutamate receptor

#7 Claymore

Claymore

• DPSH Members
  • 1239 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:28 PM

I found this page it may help. Go to the top of the page to "disorders research" and DP is on the list.

http://www.neurotran...eglutamate.html

#8 rob35235

rob35235

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:53 PM

Nice find...from that page..
"Neurochemical findings have suggested possible involvement of serotonergic, endogenous opioid and glutamatergic NMDA pathways"

I assume, though am not certain, serotonergic is related to serotonin, ie-SSRI drugs, and the opioid thing is related to that naloxitine (sp?) experiement that was going with some people here on the board.

Also, "Overall, novel therapeutic approaches are clearly needed to help individuals experiencing this refractory disorder."
Yeah...no kidding!

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:44 PM

You guys are awesome! Keep up the good work 8)

Check: Niacin :mrgreen:

#10 rob35235

rob35235

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:52 AM

Niacin? That's vitamin B3.....can you explain your thoughts?

#11 voidvoid

voidvoid

Human

• DPSH Members
  • 2255 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:35 AM

CAN WE GET ABSENTIS AND COMFORTABLY NUMB IN THIS THREAD AS SOON AS POSSIBLE THANKS

GREAT WORK YOU GUYS

#12 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:52 AM

Niacin? That's vitamin B3.....can you explain your thoughts?

Oh, it has been known to treat Schizophrenia. I just thought I'd throw it out there. I don't know what it does in the brain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users