New Depersonalization Drug - Page 2 - Treatment Options - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

New Depersonalization Drug

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#13 comfortably numb

comfortably numb

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1466 posts
  • LocationInterzone

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:09 PM

How are you going to create a drug specifically for dp/dr? In order to treat a mental illness you have to have a idea of what receptors it affects and going by the rather broad range of drugs that help people it doesent seem to affect one receptor or even a group of the same receptors.

The reason why there are so many drugs for schizophrenia is that we pretty much know what receptors it affects. We know it affects the dopamine receptors and there is also the serotonin theory when it comes to schizophrenia. The old typicals like haloperidol mainly targeted dopamine wheras the newer atypicals target serotonin as well as dopamine and tend not to have as many side effects as the older typicals. These drugs are also effective in treating the mania part of bipolar disorder and some of them (seroquel, zyprexa) seem to treat the depression side as well. This is because serotonin and dopamine have been implicated in bipolar disorder as well.

With dp/dr many people find benzodiazepines and specifically clonazepam effective. People also find SSRI's, SNRI's, NRI's, tricyclics, as well as atypical anti-depressants such as wellbutrin which is a DNRI and remeron (a serotonin norepinephrine enhancer) effective. Some people find that atypical anti-psychotics help but they seem to be not nearly as effective on the whole as benzodiazepines and anti-depressants. Also some people find stimulants such as dextroamphetamine and methylphenidate effective. Also anti-convulsants/mood stabilizers mainly lamotrigine have shown to be pretty effective for some people.

Now none of these classes of drugs effect the brain in the same way. some of them affect the same receptors but not in the same way. So how are you going to come up with a drug that treats dp/dr?

#14 kate_edwin

kate_edwin

• DPSH Members
  • 2071 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:52 PM

thats great, but since NONE of the meds in existance have been proven to help dissociation at all, the companies are liekly not to even look into researching it, the doctors really arent even sure how dissociation works in the first place, they can't make a medication until then, things liek schizophrenia and depression have reacted and been proven to be helped by all sorts of meds (not just psych meds) thats why they make so many of those

#15 Absentis

Absentis

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:00 PM

thats great, but since NONE of the meds in existance have been proven to help dissociation at all

If by "help" you mean "create a statistically significant reduction in symptom severity" then you're wrong. There are medications that help people who experience dissociation.

Or maybe you have some peer-reviewed literature that provides evidence for your rather forceful statement, in that case, feel free to post it.

#16 kate_edwin

kate_edwin

• DPSH Members
  • 2071 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

paris hilton? please, god no.

seriously, that's the last celebrity i'd want to be a spokes person for a mental illness.

#17 Claymore

Claymore

• DPSH Members
  • 1239 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, U.S.

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:24 PM

How great would it be if Paris Hilton got it?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: I love you Anny!!!! :lol:

#18 kate_edwin

kate_edwin

• DPSH Members
  • 2071 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:14 PM

there arent even reliable, reproducable, studies or studies that are double blind, or have a large enough subject pool on the drugs that *do* exist, there's no way someone's going to dump money into researching NEW drugs.

#19 hd83

hd83

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:25 PM

Sorry to offend those of you who have trashed my idea. Just thought it could be a good way to get more help for those who suffer from DP/DR.

#20 Claymore

Claymore

• DPSH Members
  • 1239 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, U.S.

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:38 PM

Sorry to offend those of you who have trashed my idea. Just thought it could be a good way to get more help for those who suffer from DP/DR.

dont worry, :wink: you're doing the right thing. don't worry about what others say. :wink:

#21 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:04 AM

I completely didn't mean to trash it, trust me, i wish it was possible, i'm just being realistic man, but trust me, i am in no way trashing it, i've had my ideas trashed and it's not fun so i would never do that to someone else.

#22 Absentis

Absentis

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:19 AM

I think most people who posted anything negative about your idea were really lamenting the sad state of research on DPD. It isn't widely recognized, and the amount of researchers dedicated to this disorder are few and far between. Even those individuals who specialize in treating or research dissociative disorders in general often know little about depersonalization and/or derealization in particular. It's really frustrating, and I applaud your effort to do something about it. Don't give up hope.

#23 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:56 PM

thanks bro, wasnt me who started the thread, they were bashing me for disagreeing haha, but i mean i've talked to daphne simeon personally and to be honest, all she cares about is RESEARCH, she doesnt care about curing us. I hung up on her once, it's just how it was, i was ready to go NY for the treatment and i asked her, what is my benifit? she never answered, so i said screw it. I dont think there will ever be a dp drug, kp works for me right now, but thats for now.

#24 Absentis

Absentis

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:45 PM

thanks bro, wasnt me who started the thread, they were bashing me for disagreeing haha, but i mean i've talked to daphne simeon personally and to be honest, all she cares about is RESEARCH, she doesnt care about curing us. I hung up on her once, it's just how it was, i was ready to go NY for the treatment and i asked her, what is my benifit? she never answered, so i said screw it. I dont think there will ever be a dp drug, kp works for me right now, but thats for now.

As bad as it sounds, I can understand where she's coming from when she is focused on research. I've worked for several professors as a research assistant, and when we've worked on studies with a clinical population (i.e. medical or psychological pathology) we care about getting good data, then analyzing and publishing it. Researchers care about how many papers they publish, not how many people they help in clinical trials.

Dr. Simeon's research, however, will ultimately help everyone with DPD since treatment is informed by research. Perhaps she didn't appear to care about curing us, but she wouldn't be doing her research if she didn't care at all? At least, I hope not. If it turns out there is a need for a DPD researcher who cares, then I suppose you'll all have to wait until I complete grad school, haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users