New Depersonalization Drug - Treatment Options - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

New Depersonalization Drug

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 hd83

hd83

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:43 PM

Even though we have drugs out on the market that help some with their DP/DR, there isn't a drug on the market yet specifically targeted towards DP/DR. I talked to my psychiatrist today and she gave me a great idea.

Approximately 1 to 2% of the population has a form of depersonalization and/or derealization disorder. Yet, none of the major pharmaceutical companies makes a drug to treat this disorder. However, approximately 1% of the population has schizophrenia, and there are about four or five drugs on the market (atypical antipsychotics) targeted specifically for schizophrenia.

Pharmaceutical companies are profit driven. If they knew that DP/DR affects so many people, they would put the time and money into researching a drug to treat it, just like they do for schizophrenia. My psychiatrist suggested writing a letter to the different pharmaceutical companies letting them know that this is a wide-spread disorder and would be profitable for them to research and make a drug to treat DP/DR. If everyone on this site wrote a letter to the major pharmaceutical companies (Pfizer, Merck, Wyeth, etc.), we could really make a difference in the treatment options that are available to us.

I'm going to write my letter tonight and post it so others can use it as a template for their letters (that way, if you don't want to, you don't have to write your own, you could just use mine). But feel free to write your own! The important thing is the volume and quality of letters the drug companies receive. I would suggest addressing your letters with just the CEO's name and address of the company, and include a return address as well. I know this sounds obvious, but the more professional the letter, the more impact it will have. Here is the contact information for the drug companies:

Pfizer
Jeffrey B. Kindler
Chairman and CEO
235 E. 42nd St.
New York, NY 10017-5755

Wyeth
Bernard J. Poussot
CEO
500 Arcola Rd.
Collegeville, PA 19426

You can also send one to Wyeth's President: Joseph M. Mahady

Merck
Richard T. Clark
President, CEO, and Chairman
1 Merck Dr.
Whitehouse Station, NJ 08889-0100

Eli Lilly and Company
John C. Lechleiter
President, Chairman, and CEO
Lilly Corporate Center, 893 S. Delaware
Indianapolis, IN 46285

#2 hd83

hd83

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:41 PM

Here is the letter which I wrote that you can use as a template. Let's get as many letters sent out as possible!! :D

Jeffrey Kindler
235 E. 42nd St.
New York, NY 10017-5755

Dear Mr. Kindler,

I am writing to you because I suffer from depersonalization disorder. I have had depersonalization disorder for approximately six years now. After going to a therapist for close to a year, my therapist decided that I had a chemical imbalance which was causing my symptoms. I have tried every classification of medicine (antidepressants, atypical antipsychotics, benzodiazepines, mood stabilizers, and antiseizure medicine) available. However, I have found none of them to relieve any of my symptoms.

Depersonalization disorder affects approximately 1 to 2% of the population and is classified as a dissociative disorder. Yet, there are no medications to treat dissociation or this wide-spread disorder, depersonalization. As CEO of Pfizer, you are in a powerful position. You could potentially help hundreds of thousands of people suffering from depersonalization disorder by creating a medicine that treats dissociation. Not only could you relieve people's suffering, but also earn a substantial profit. Because of the chronic nature of this illness, many people would pay a premium price for a medicine that would relieve some or all of their symptoms.

I have included two articles detailing the seriousness and wide-spread nature of this disorder. Developing a drug that treated depersonalization disorder would open up a new, untapped market with great profit potential. Please review the articles and consider developing a drug to treat depersonalization.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Heather Disney
(Include personal address here)

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:06 AM

only problem is, they've been trying to create a drug for it, but 1.) they don't know how to treat it because it doesn't effect anything physically, skitzos usually react physically. 2.) Even if they do create one, there's gonna be a lot of trial and error. I use klonopin, may be an anti seizure drug but its cured me!

#4 York

York

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1079 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:18 AM

Yeah, they know this is is a big problem, there are several clinics in the world dedicated to the research of Dp.
Good thinking though. I think it might make an even bigger impact if it was exposed in media more. How great would it be if Paris Hilton got it? We'd be saved!

#5 Absentis

Absentis

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:32 PM

only problem is, they've been trying to create a drug for it, but 1.) they don't know how to treat it

This is exactly the case.

A drug company needs to know the neurobiology of a disease/disorder before it can even attempt to create a pill to treat it. That level of understanding simply doesn't exist. There needs to be a LOT of basic research before they can even begin to think of how to create a treatment. I don't want to be pessimistic about your letter writing campaign, but I do want to let you know why I won't be taking part in it, even though I want the same outcome as you do. Sorry.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:35 PM

1% of the population is still a lot of people to make money from. I always figured DP/DR/Anxiety/Depression we're covered under the same umbrella of meds?

#7 surf

surf

• DPSH Members
  • 5291 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:10 AM

How great would it be if Paris Hilton got it?

That would be doubly awesome. I love your thinking.

#8 York

York

• DPSH Members
  • 1079 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:11 PM

If she got it, she'd be my BFF

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 12:46 AM

If she got it, she'd be my BFF

lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

#10 fasi999

fasi999

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:39 AM

only problem is, they've been trying to create a drug for it, but 1.) they don't know how to treat it because it doesn't effect anything physically, skitzos usually react physically. 2.) Even if they do create one, there's gonna be a lot of trial and error. I use klonopin, may be an anti seizure drug but its cured me!

Hiya you have mentioned in the above post that klonopin cured your dp. Just wondering if your dp was drug induced or you had it by birth. Also what source you buy this medicine from & what is the magic dose for this. I suffer from dp for the last 4 years.

your reply would be appreciated

#11 aloof

aloof

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:48 AM

yeah there certainly isn't a single magic cure for DPD, and even if there was r &d on a drug specifically targeting it, it would be a long process i would think. As far as klonopin, it worked wonders for me for a couple months but taking it constantly eventually made me feel zombied and depressed. i was only taking 1 mg per day. ive backed off on it gradually and pretty much i am back where i was....i am trying to figure a way to take it more judiciously where it can be of some help but not go to the other extreme. i also take trileptal which seems to stabilize my mood some. the klonopin seems the most effective option overall right now but of course there are lots of potential issues when taking it long term.

#12 hd83

hd83

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:42 PM

I've taken Klonopin for about 3 years now and haven't had any bad side effects from it. It hasn't made me zombied or depressed. I would consider taking a lower dose or maybe adding another medicine to treat the zombie-like effect it gives you and maybe an anti-depressant for the depression. I'm on Cymbalta right now, and it's working well. Hope this helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users