How have you felt the DP free moment? - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

How have you felt the DP free moment?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lone wolf

lone wolf

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 07:07 AM

I just thought to ask about this, as I have read that some people in this forum have felt the transition from DP to DP free state as a continuum - I mean the DP free state doesn't happen all in a sudden, but comes step by step, and thus it isn't easy to even notice, when finally having no DP. I would like to know have you all experienced it as a continuum, or are there folks who have felt the transition as an unexpected "flash"? I'm interested in this, because I have had DP/DR for 15 years now, and during all these years have felt only two DP free moments - lasting about 2 seconds each - which have been kind of flashes all in a sudden; like "Hey, the icy wall is gone!!" ...and after I have experienced this miracle for a fleeting moment, the DP/DR is here again. First time it happened I was alone in nature and started to suggesting myself that I was still four-yr-old in my grandparents' farm, and everything after that has been only dismal, grey dream. The other moment - I was high on Ecstasy and LSD with a couple of friends in nature. For some reasons my brain thought those two moments weren't threatening at all, but I wish I could experience that peace without drugs and self-deception too... (At least self-suggestion hasn't even worked after the first try, my mind seems to be too clever for that. *sigh*)

Please tell me your experiences?

Regular Contributor

• Validating
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 07:52 AM

I once had a flash, wich lasted for about 15 minutes.
At the moment i'm almost completely DP free, it's fading away slowly, you don't realy see the difference, since everything is the same, but it just feels more real

#3 lone wolf

lone wolf

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:35 AM

Hi DutchMark - thanks for your reply. I have sometimes experienced short moments, which seem to be less depersonalized than my normal state. It's like the icy wall around me melts a bit, almost inperceptibly, but still. That kind of moments I have had very seldom too, but more often than those flashes I told about in my previous post in this thread. Still I hesitate to call this recovery, as those clearer moments are very rare and mild - indeed I have come to think I may never get rid of DP/DR, as I have become used to this state and it doesn't bother me much anymore. Still I hope if the miracle could happen someday, and I would start experiencing life without this separating icy wall of DP/DR...slowly, bit by bit or in a flash. At least it gives me hope to read other people's stories of recovery - maybe even I would experience life without this icy wall someday? Dunno, maybe...

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• Validating
  • 809 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:03 AM

Hi DutchMark - thanks for your reply. I have sometimes experienced short moments, which seem to be less depersonalized than my normal state. It's like the icy wall around me melts a bit, almost inperceptibly, but still. That kind of moments I have had very seldom too, but more often than those flashes I told about in my previous post in this thread. Still I hesitate to call this recovery, as those clearer moments are very rare and mild - indeed I have come to think I may never get rid of DP/DR, as I have become used to this state and it doesn't bother me much anymore. Still I hope if the miracle could happen someday, and I would start experiencing life without this separating icy wall of DP/DR...slowly, bit by bit or in a flash. At least it gives me hope to read other people's stories of recovery - maybe even I would experience life without this icy wall someday? Dunno, maybe...

I have had periods of up to 5-7 or 8 hours where I feel non-anxious and like my old self.

Does anyone here have anxiety/DP/DR so badly that it affects their job? After I had a panic attack and then DP 24/7 I started to withdraw and am afraid almost every day to leave my house.

Why be afraid of the DP symptoms? They're not harmful, right? Just the mind playing tricks?

I don't know how I was able to bring on being my old-self again. Does anyone have idea how they make themselves feel like they used to? You cannot force feeling normal again, I wouldn't think.

Anyone who's had DP/DR and now is mostly DP/DR-free, what's the secret to your success?

Thanks for any input.

Jeff

Regular Contributor

• Validating
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:08 AM

I don't know how I was able to bring on being my old-self again. Does anyone have idea how they make themselves feel like they used to? You cannot force feeling normal again, I wouldn't think.

Anyone who's had DP/DR and now is mostly DP/DR-free, what's the secret to your success?

Thanks for any input.

Jeff

Yeah, I think you felt yourself again because you where distracted from the DP. The fact that you don't go out of your house feeds the DP. Do all the things you used to do before the panic attack, the reason you weren't DP before the attack is because you never where aware that such a thing could happen to you. Just let the DP/anxiety thougts flow to the back of your mind by leading a normal life, and maybe even do things you don't want to. every form of distraction helps with DP, it can even cure it in time

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• Validating
  • 809 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for any input.

Jeff

Yeah, I think you felt yourself again because you where distracted from the DP. The fact that you don't go out of your house feeds the DP. Do all the things you used to do before the panic attack, the reason you weren't DP before the attack is because you never where aware that such a thing could happen to you. Just let the DP/anxiety thougts flow to the back of your mind by leading a normal life, and maybe even do things you don't want to. every form of distraction helps with DP, it can even cure it in time

Thanks for your input Dutch!

The problem I have is that when I go out and pay attention to other things, to distract myself, I end up feeling more DP/DR.

I am also tired all the time. 10 years of constant DP/DR is something I thought no one else had gone through, until I found this board.

I was having a great day on Monday and felt DP free most of the day. It was the most hope I have had in 10 years.

I started feeling less alone and more myself when I found this board one week ago today. I was amazed that what I've been experiencing has a name.

If I felt DP/DR free for most of one day, wouldn't you think it's very possible that I can overcome DP/DR altogether eventually? It sounds promising. I just need to figure out what I was thinking or doing, in order to get that same reality feeling back, I think.

The problem is that I don't know how or what I was thinking. It's just that the fog lifted for a while and I realized how good I was feeling. I was out grocery shopping and I wasn't in a hurry; the people and products seemed real and not fake and not dressed up in a haze like they usually do.

So, in that sense, I can't really relate to the theory that reality comes back so slowly that you don't really realize it's happening. I realized it was happening and I felt like my old self again, if only for less than 24 hours.

My chest cracks almost every time I take a breath. Tight chest is another symptom that's always there. I don't know what the cracking sound is. I've been checked out by a doctor and any medical issue has been ruled out.

Thank you again so much for your input. Hearing other people's opinions (good or bad) means the world to me.

Thanks again and if anyone has any more thoughts, I'd be grateful for your response.

Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users