Promise me i am not psychotic!! - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Promise me i am not psychotic!!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:02 AM

Hi all
this is my first post here.
i am too tired to write my history but to sum it up, i suffer from dp/dr, if u already don't know that.
i have all the classic text book symptoms which are obviously annoying but what really bothers me are the thoughts that i have when i am dped. they are so scattered and meaningless to the point i feel delusional. for example:
1- i was in the toilet and out of no where, i suddenly had the thought: "why don't i jump in the toilet? maybe that will cure my dp!!!" ofcourse i knew it is a silly thought but isn't that considered delusional?
2- i'll be reading some papers at work and suddenly an un related thought pops up like "food is coming out of my stomach"..again i KNOW THERE IS NOTHING COMING OUT OF MY STOMACH but wtf??
3- i'll be watching a football match on tv and suddenly have the thought "i gave birth to that player" <<< again i don't believe the thought but my mind is convincing me that since u think them, u MUST believe them!
4- when i am lying in bed at night b4 i sleep, i have these meaningless random images pop in my head..they r not scary yet so annoying since they are so scattered and out of context. like for example, a girl with two pony tails or my brother wearing a colored dress. this used to happen while i am drifting to sleep or b4 waking up but now they happen when i am on the bed geting ready to sleep (usually i'll be tired) or sometimes during the day (but i will be also tired and dped when it happens)..
WTF??i can't believe i haven't gone delusional already! plz tell me someone else has similar meaningless thoughts AND AREN't schizophrenic!!

#2 coffeecup

coffeecup

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:31 PM

basicly you know they are not real.. so id say your not nuts :D

just your brain being a twat basicly, these kind of scattered thoughts can happen even to normal people under a lot of anxiety

if theyre just thoughts, it means nothing (except to you .. the poor bugger whose suffering!)

youre not nuts ! try and get some anti anxiety meds cipramil/cipralex and zoloft seem to work best for dp/dr in terms of anxiety have a look round the board and see what works for most.. and best of luck mate

#3 Matt210

Matt210

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1134 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:33 PM

Hi there,

You aren't psychotic. Again, i'm not one to talk as I spend a great deal of my time thinking I am going crazy or maybe already am - but try and think through this logically. If you were psychotic - you wouldn't be on here telling us about how crazy these thoughts you are having are. You would be believing them and thinking them. You would be phoning up Tampa Bay trying to get a hold of your long lost Pittsburgh Steeler son or so on and so forth.

Random thoughts happen, and its because you fear them that your mind keeps coming up with them. Its the whole "Don't think about Pink Elephants' thing. If you tell yourself you are terrified of having weird thoughts, you'll keep having them.

I play these sorts of horrible mind games with myself all the time.

Try and relax and let the random thoughts come - take comfort in that wave of anxiety that comes following them in that it means that you KNOW they are crazy. They'll go away.

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:23 PM

I don't think you're psychotic, although nobody here can promise that...I do however think you are nuts! :D :P

#5 Guest_Mission Possible_*

Guest_Mission Possible_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:33 PM

your problem is you analyze your own thoughts too much because of this you become insecure with some of your thoughts

psychotic is psychotic, you can't be asking people if your are psychotic, psychotics don't know they are psychotic.

the problem is society

you have an ideal

don't be scared of your own thoughts, become friends with your mind

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

become friends with your mind

True, and yourself. Cheers to that.

#7 Guest_Laura_*

Guest_Laura_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:02 PM

Hi all
this is my first post here.
i am too tired to write my history but to sum it up, i suffer from dp/dr, if u already don't know that.
i have all the classic text book symptoms which are obviously annoying but what really bothers me are the thoughts that i have when i am dped. they are so scattered and meaningless to the point i feel delusional. for example:
1- i was in the toilet and out of no where, i suddenly had the thought: "why don't i jump in the toilet? maybe that will cure my dp!!!" ofcourse i knew it is a silly thought but isn't that considered delusional?
2- i'll be reading some papers at work and suddenly an un related thought pops up like "food is coming out of my stomach"..again i KNOW THERE IS NOTHING COMING OUT OF MY STOMACH but wtf??
3- i'll be watching a football match on tv and suddenly have the thought "i gave birth to that player" <<< again i don't believe the thought but my mind is convincing me that since u think them, u MUST believe them!
4- when i am lying in bed at night b4 i sleep, i have these meaningless random images pop in my head..they r not scary yet so annoying since they are so scattered and out of context. like for example, a girl with two pony tails or my brother wearing a colored dress. this used to happen while i am drifting to sleep or b4 waking up but now they happen when i am on the bed geting ready to sleep (usually i'll be tired) or sometimes during the day (but i will be also tired and dped when it happens)..
WTF??i can't believe i haven't gone delusional already! plz tell me someone else has similar meaningless thoughts AND AREN't schizophrenic!!

I went through the same thing and it scared me. In fact it happened today, the most random thing came into my head. I got the images too when my DR started. I know from experience how scary it is and it's really reassuring to know that it's just another side effect of the anxiety. I couldn't think straight, I had random thoughts and images and then I had to concentrate hard at work, but I felt like I couldn't think properly.

I promise you you're not psychotic. You would not remember what you did if you were. The sentences you wrote sound like the sort of randomness I thought when my DR was at it's worst.

#8 medo

medo

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:28 PM

I had that too and still sometime get them. Scary stuff but I am learning to cope with it. The thoughts and images can be horrible. I asked both a psychologist and a psychiatrist if this was normal and they assured me it had nothing to do with any kind of psychosis.

When we feel dp-ed, (I am dr-ed as well) our brain fog obviously blocks our thinking. Then while we are crippled by stress, anxiety and fear, those thoughts pop up and we are forced to be bothered by them to the point that we question our sanity but at the same time we know it is BS. Sometimes they appear when we feel fine and then they cause fear, anxiety and worsen our dp.

The way I pretty successfully beat these thoughts is just ignore them and imagine they will pass.

PS. Sometimes these images are reflections of something we saw on tv or something.

#9 egodeath

egodeath

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1183 posts
  • LocationWhere?

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:50 PM

...i knew it is a silly thought but isn't that considered delusional...i KNOW THERE IS NOTHING COMING OUT OF MY STOMACH...i don't believe the thought but my mind is convincing me that since u think them, u MUST believe them...

They're only delusions if you don't know that they're not.
The random, inexplicable idea that perhaps your desk wants to eat you is not a delusion.
The total and complete conviction that your desk will eat you if you do not hack it to pieces is.

Regular Contributor

• Validating
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:28 AM

psychotic means out of reality so if you are here scared of being psychotic that doesn't tell you something................. i have the same images on my brain when i am going to sleep not my brother in a dress :? but random stuff 2 its like a hallucination with ur eyes closed right. look schizophrenic is running into a church and start biting the priest leg while you hear the devil and jesus having an argument about toilet paper don't ask me how it happened :lol: a psychotic delusion will be to think that ur mom is going to kill u while ur asleep. and what you have is not a delusion i think it falls in the category ''extravagant ideas'' i promise you that your not psychotic if i think you were i will told you(=

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users