Drinking? - Page 2 - Treatment Options - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Drinking?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:35 PM

I find that when I drink, the next day my DP is worse.
Emily

#14 ZachT

ZachT

DP Approved

• DPSH Members
  • 1339 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:11 AM

I wouldnt know. I cant drink anymore, I take Lexapro.

#15 HereNotHere

HereNotHere

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:40 PM

I was drinking anywhere from 3-6 beers every day. It helped me in the short term, but as others have said, it is a depressant and worsens depression and anxiety in the long run. Depression and anxiety contribute to DP, so reducing them overall (long term) helps.

#16 IbizaParadise

IbizaParadise

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 76 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:25 PM

3-4 days ago i was with my family and we went to a restaurant and i had a beer to drink..we were seating in the patio..i realized right after i drank the beer my DP/DR got a lot worse..i was about to have a panic attack..drinking doesnt help me at all its make my DP/DR a lot worse..anyone experience the same thing with drinking?

#17 Jessesaur

Jessesaur

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:14 PM

Drinking does not make the DP go away, but it does make it nearly impossible to obsess about it. As an experiment, I tried my hardest to let DP bother me while drunk. I simply could not do it. I do agree with others though that in the long run it makes the DP worse, and obviously alcohol can cause a lot of health problems. Also, it seems like a lot of people with DP are more prone to addiction like me... so probably best to be very careful.

#18 Claymore

Claymore

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1239 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, U.S.

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:27 PM

it helps definatley!!!!!!! it causes you to feel more like yourself and you can feel emotions again.

#19 kate_edwin

kate_edwin

• DPSH Members
  • 2071 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:37 PM

alcohol will increase the severity of any mental illness symptoms, any relief is momentary and not worth a steady course of something so addictive and damaging. it more often then not BADLY interacts with psych meds and other meds you may be on

#20 Johnny Dep

Johnny Dep

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 150 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:20 PM

Alcohol is called a depressant not because of its effect on mood but because of its effect on brain activity, it reduces, or depresses brain activity. In the beginning it mostly depresses higher order functions, the things people do but animals don't. If you keep drinking more it begins to depress the basic functions we share with the animals. Most of the neurons associated with higher order functions are inhibitory so when their activity is depressed by alcohol you are temporarily reducing their inhibitory effects and temporarily shifting the balance of power in your brain towards the older, more primitive parts of the brain. For most people this is a very pleasant activity. Its commonly said that if no one ever drank more than 3 glasses a night alcohol would be considered one of the best things ever invented.

But people do drink more than 3 glasses a night.

#21 jfromaz

jfromaz

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:35 PM

Drinking has actually helped me personally. For a while I said to myself FUKC all drugs/drinking/whatever but I realized that for me that was counterproductive to getting better. I always enjoyed drinking with friends and thrashing at a metal show as a favorite pastime and I wasn't going to let some bullshit disorder stop me from living my life. So after a really long time of abstaining from drinking to no avail, I started again. However, I wouldn't touch anything with THC in it if somebody payed me a million dollars, not because I'm against weed.. in fact all I listen to is psychedelic music and stoner metal, but for me personally and I would assume most people on here.. it always induces a panic attack/dissociation which makes my anxiety/DP-DR worse.. Off topic but the thing that is helping me recover above everything is exercising.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:56 PM

My psychiatrist told me that while under the influence you are in that "state of mind" of feeling DP or DR because your distorting the way you see things. Unfortunately, you go to sleep and wake up the next day and it's gone, but with us, we carry it daily :(

#23 Claymore

Claymore

• DPSH Members
  • 1239 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, U.S.

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:24 PM

with us, we carry it daily :(

AND ITS DOWNRIGHT SCARY AND WEIRD!!! :x

#24 xxcdawg

xxcdawg

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationSterling Heights, MI

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:25 PM

I drank on Halloween & I felt completely free of my DR, it was amazing.
But the next day, my DR was back, not worse, just there.

& I tried drinking again last night, & it didn't affect my dr AT ALL.
ugh! I just want relief, even if its a minute a day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users